BC Boards

Hi! New BC owner - probably?

Hi!

Two weeks ago, my fiance and I adopted Oreo from the SPCA. She had been given up by her owner because she was digging in the yard. It makes me sick. :D So - different documents from the SPCA list her as a BC or an Aussie, or a mix. I'm really curious if you guys have any insight into her heritage. As soon as we got home I started researching the breed, and was really excited because of all the neat things we could do to burn her energy. Frisbee, flyball, agility. With no children and no lives, it seems like we could really give a good home to a BC. But after a few vet visits it became clear that we have an older lady.

The SPCA said that she was 4. The first vet 6-8, and the second vet 8-10. She doesn't seem to have the BC temperment and energy, although that could be because of her age. She LOVES her walks and runs, but doesn't seem to need that much exercise. So, may I ask, when did your BCs go grey? She's greying in the face and hindquarters. Her canines are worn flat all the way to the gums. When did your BCs lose all that energy? I would love to get a closer idea of her age than 4-10. :rolleyes: We really lucked out and have adopted the perfect dog for our lifestyle. I can not wait to rescue a few more BCs once we have a house with a big yard.

Thanks for reading! And now pictures of my angel baby, for your entertainment.

On the couch

Oreo2.jpg

With Dad

Oreo6.jpg

With her favorite toy

Oreo10.jpg

Being eaten by an octopus

Oreo13.jpg

The green snake

Oreo15.jpg

It took her two weeks to fully make our place her home. It is amazing to see how now her personality is shining out. She is the most content and well-behaved dog I have ever owned. Whoever gave her up is an idiot through and through.

hello and welcome!

Oreo looks like a lot of fun, there's nothing more enjoyable than a pleasant afternoon stroll with your dog by your side :rolleyes: . No worries about digging...sooner or later you'll secretly pride in her ability to turn a plot of land into a cratered battlefield with enough hidden bacon chews to last through a nuclear winter.

:rolleyes: She doesn't dig at my house, and she didn't at her foster mom's either. Our guess is she was forced to live outside by herself. But if she did ever make our backyard look like the surface of the moon, I guess we'd just make sure she couldn't dig out. :D

Cool dog. Nothing like getting sucked in by a mellow BC. First you'll go tell all your friends what great dogs they are, and when you bring home the next one from a shelter or rescue, who will be decidedly UNmellow, you'll be too embarassed to admit to said friends that you didn't realize what you were getting into...and thus the hook will be set. Next comes selling the house in the suburbs so you can afford a bit more property in the country (for sheep, agility equipment, a pond, whatever), accompanied by a job downgrade since the selection isn't quite as extensive as it was back in civilzation. Soon all your time off work begins to revolve around your dogs, and then you start to wonder if there isn't a way to make your dogs become your work....

But never mind all that. I just wanted to suggest that you stick with the furry toys instead of the tennis ball, since the silica in tennis ball fuzz is a major contributor to tooth wear. There are some tennis balls made for dogs (e.g. by the Kong Company and Tuff Balls) that do not have silica in their fuzz, but most of them do.

Thanks for that advice. I figured catch and fetch could contribute to tooth wear, but never thought the fuzz itself could. That's the PetCo brand there, and she finds the weak point and destroys it in about 5 minutes. I will get her some of tuffballs.

Yeah, in about 4 years, I think I will try to foster a BC or two before making the true decision of whether or not I can handle a younger, higher-energy one.

Cool dog. Nothing like getting sucked in by a mellow BC. First you'll go tell all your friends what great dogs they are, and when you bring home the next one from a shelter or rescue, who will be decidedly UNmellow, you'll be too embarassed to admit to said friends that you didn't realize what you were getting into...and thus the hook will be set. Next comes selling the house in the suburbs so you can afford a bit more property in the country (for sheep, agility equipment, a pond, whatever), accompanied by a job downgrade since the selection isn't quite as extensive as it was back in civilzation. Soon all your time off work begins to revolve around your dogs, and then you start to wonder if there isn't a way to make your dogs become your work....

But never mind all that. I just wanted to suggest that you stick with the furry toys instead of the tennis ball, since the silica in tennis ball fuzz is a major contributor to tooth wear. There are some tennis balls made for dogs (e.g. by the Kong Company and Tuff Balls) that do not have silica in their fuzz, but most of them do.

Wow I didn't know that about the silica in tennis balls. Achilles loves to chase tennis balls I will get him something better then. Good info.

Hi!

Two weeks ago, my fiance and I adopted Oreo from the SPCA. She had been given up by her owner because she was digging in the yard. It makes me sick. :D So - different documents from the SPCA list her as a BC or an Aussie, or a mix. I'm really curious if you guys have any insight into her heritage. As soon as we got home I started researching the breed, and was really excited because of all the neat things we could do to burn her energy. Frisbee, flyball, agility. With no children and no lives, it seems like we could really give a good home to a BC. But after a few vet visits it became clear that we have an older lady.

The SPCA said that she was 4. The first vet 6-8, and the second vet 8-10. She doesn't seem to have the BC temperment and energy, although that could be because of her age. She LOVES her walks and runs, but doesn't seem to need that much exercise. So, may I ask, when did your BCs go grey? She's greying in the face and hindquarters. Her canines are worn flat all the way to the gums. When did your BCs lose all that energy? I would love to get a closer idea of her age than 4-10. :rolleyes: We really lucked out and have adopted the perfect dog for our lifestyle. I can not wait to rescue a few more BCs once we have a house with a big yard.

Thanks for reading! And now pictures of my angel baby, for your entertainment.

On the couch

Oreo2.jpg

With Dad

Oreo6.jpg

With her favorite toy

Oreo10.jpg

Being eaten by an octopus

Oreo13.jpg

The green snake

Oreo15.jpg

It took her two weeks to fully make our place her home. It is amazing to see how now her personality is shining out. She is the most content and well-behaved dog I have ever owned. Whoever gave her up is an idiot through and through.

Looks like a BC to me. And what a beauty she is!

Yeah, in about 4 years, I think I will try to foster a BC or two before making the true decision of whether or not I can handle a younger, higher-energy one.

Hahahahaha. Better stay away from this board if you want to hold out for four years. Your first mistake was bringing that lovely dog into your home. Your second mistake was revealing your location. Lookie HERE -- you're only a matter of days into the journey and there's already another puppy in Texas in need of your excellent care. He's even named Oreo! How could you pass up the chance to be a two-Oreo home? Male and female...young and old...yin and yang. Obviously it was meant to be, no?

Resistance is futile. Your doom is sealed already. :rolleyes:

No matter how old your lady Oreo is, just enjoy her while you have her. Older rescues can be such a joy. Most that I have fostered in the past, (when I could foster)have also been very well mannered. Like someone put the time and training into them and then just gave up....?

The thing is that most dogs ( of all ages)that I have rescued have been good dogs(I mean yeah let's be realistic, all dogs, dig and chew if bored or stressed-etc. That's normal.)

But I could never figure out why they were just tossed aside like trash. Humans are stupid. I think that alot of them are too into material things. When something loses it's use they throw it away.

They forget that adopting an animal... IS FOR LIFE!

That is exactly how I feel. My belief is that she had to have had two owners in her life. Someone taught her how to not chew and not to get into things, and to not come into the kitchen. I have a very hard time believing that that same person could throw her in the backyard 24 hours a day and then dump her at the SPCA.

People just don't think long term. We went into this adoption knowing we wanted a full-grown dog who was known to be good with kids, as in 5 years we will have some, and the dog isn't going anywhere. (Oreo only herds cats and squirrels.) We have no problem with Oreo's age except that it means less years with her. I think we will always adopt older rescue dogs (although maybe not quite this old.)

And to Alaska, HA! I am already hooked. It's such a wonderful breed. And I do already want another dog, but I'll have to wait. Our living space and yard are way two small for two people and two dogs, especially if the next BC is younger and has more energy. We'll have significantly more room and yard when we buy a house, and that is slated for 4 years from now.

Congrats on getting her! And good job adopting her too. They are addictive, you can't have just one. I wouldn't rule out having another one before 4 years.

That is so great you two adopted her! She looks like a great girl.

It makes me so upset that someone could just throw a nice dog like that away.

Thanks for being so kind. People like you make this world a joy to be in.

Going to go finish crying now and give my older girl, Dice, a hug and kiss.

Katelynn

Hi.. welcome to the boards.

this is a great board.. lots of info that you can pick up on.

And that's a pretty girl you have there!!

I got my dog when he was 4 from the shelter too. While he is mellow mainly at home.. to a certain extend (just don't play hide and seek with his fave toy) and such.. once he is outside.. he's as energetic.. chasing frisbees, agility and even learning new tricks...

The only thing that i must admit that he does get winded, lose interest after some time. and doesn't have that much stamina.

But trust me.. you can still do plenty with an older dog... especially when it is a border collie.

:rolleyes:

Shanni, your dog does sound like mine. On her walks, she'll get wind of a cat or something and can go, go, go, but once we get back she is absolutely dead.

And thanks everyone for your kind words. I was defititely brought up to believe that rescuing animals was the only way to own. It makes me so angry that people don't fully think out the decision to get a dog. I've wanted one for years, but only now decided we had the money and time to support one. I am sad that after being a great pet (which she is) for 8 or however many years, she was just discarded. It makes me so happy that we found her and can spoil her rotten for her senior years.

This is a wonderful board with a wealth of information. I'm enjoying reading back through old threads.

Welcome to the boards! Oreo is one pretty lady!! Senior dogs are the greatest!! We took on a 13 year BC mix when we bought our new house in addition to the two BCs we already had. Our Buddy is wonderful.

Oreo looks like she is sooo happy to be home at last. Alaska's right, your fate is sealed! Like the commercial says, You can never have enough Oreos!!

She looks like a total sweetie! My Oreo is going on 12 this year and she acts much the same. She's always been a low-energy BC though, but every year she mellows a little more. :D And she's always been grey and black so it's hard to tell when she "went" grey - 2 weeks old maybe? :rolleyes: But the grey continues to creep outwards every year. :D

Oreo is one good lookin gal. When June came to me at (almost) five years old she was already quite gray in the muzzle. I'm sure Becca can give a better idea of how early she started to gray, though. My oldest female started going gray around 4-1/2 years old (not a BC).

June, at (almost) five years:

JuneSeclusivalbig.jpg

Photo by Becca Shouse. You can see the gray on the sides of her face.

And just a couple weeks ago (at almost seven years old). This is an awful picture, but you can see the gray well:

100_0410.jpg

Ginger, at nine years old (I don't have any decent younger pics):

100_0405.jpg

At any rate, June is pretty mellow... right up until it's time to do something. That's not a bad thing, IMO. :rolleyes: Welcome to the BC Boards!

And to Alaska, HA! I am already hooked. It's such a wonderful breed. And I do already want another dog, but I'll have to wait. Our living space and yard are way two small for two people and two dogs, especially if the next BC is younger and has more energy. We'll have significantly more room and yard when we buy a house, and that is slated for 4 years from now.

1st congratulation's on the adoption!!! good for you!!

and second!!!

I only wanted one dog in a two bedroom apartment!! somehow or another I ended up with two!! but it really makes it easier not harder!! as long as they get their daily stimulation amount of room is not an issue!!! :rolleyes::D :D