BC Boards

Kongs in the freezer

So I keep reading that it's a great idea to freeze what you stuff in your Kong to make it last longer. But when you do that, do you put the Kong in a baggie in your freezer or just stick it in the freezer as is? Do I need to worry about bacteria or anything contaminating my frozen people food or ice?

I'm with Paula, I just stand them up in my freezer. I do run the kongs through the dishwasher after each use, so they are clean when I fill them again.

RDM, the Woo definitely needs some bling. Red Dog is way to dignified for that though!

I don't freeze it much yet. I probably will this summer though. Most of the time I just stick it in there, but I don't mind dog goobers either.

I think Mr. Woo needs some bling. How about "The Woo" on the collar? :rolleyes:

Do you guys fill your kongs all the way with PB or other stuff to freeze it? Most of the time I just spread some PB inside and stick some kibble, and treats to the inside of it. Is it to much PB if you fill it all the way?

Good heavens. Fergie licks our faces; why would we worry about her kong touching our packaged frozen food.

I guess if you just toss steaks, chops, halibut, and peppers loose in the freezer, you might worry. Then again, if you did that, you probably don't worry about anything.

Which might be smart. When I was a kid, one woman on our street was notorious. That darned woman let her kids decide when they were cold enough to need coats and when they were warm enough to go barefoot! How terrible a mother! However, her kids were the only ones who were never sick - never missed a single day of school. I shocked my mother and mother-in-law by copying that woman. And it worked!

There's a lot of less then sanitary/healthy things my family does or doesn't do - and we are much healthier (ie. not sick) then those around us.

Yes, my dogs lick my face too. My biggest concern was like growing bacteria or something in the fridge. Dog saliva just doesn't seem as unsavory as seeing something growing on my ice cubes, lol!

Okay, I stuff Kongs with yogurt and canned pumpkin and bits of chicken livers or something and then freeze them like that. I use a single piece of kibble to plug up the end and then I balance the suckers precariously on their ends on any flat-but-against-the-side-of-the-freezer surface I can find. Wrapping them in anything would just be more work than I am prepared for. I rarely use peanut butter because it's too high in fat and salt.

I wasn't kidding about switching to the Leo Toys by Canine Genius. I will throw 20 pieces of tuna brownie in there and let them go to town. They depress Tweed as they are too difficult for him and Red Dog thinks he isn't meant to have what's in it so he gives up pretty easily, but Piper and Woo really enjoy them.

As for the bling-bling, I think Woo's needs to say "WooHoo!" (I wonder if they make exclamation points?) or if his neck were bigger it would be The Fabulous Mr. Woo. Red Dog probably is too cool for bling. Tweed's might say "Duh?"

RDM

I think I know what Piper's would say... :rolleyes:

I gotta get some of those Canine Leo toys. I've wanted to, ever since you last talked about them. Must stop procrastinating....

Oh, and AJ, I wouldn't fill the whole Kong with peanut butter-that's too much.

Since I sometimes use liquid like chicken broth, I use plastic cups (like what you get at a Mardi Gras parade) and stand them up in that, narrow end down with that hole plugged with peanut butter. That also keeps things "sanitary" for the most part since they're not touching any of my food or the actual freezer.

do you put the Kong in a baggie in your freezer or just stick it in the freezer as is? Do I need to worry about bacteria or anything contaminating my frozen people food or ice?

I put the frozen kongs in a bowl to fill them and then just stick the bowl in the freezer. I guess you wouldn't want dog food on the ice cubes, but I wouldn't worry about bacteria growing since the freezer is too cold for that kind of trouble.

Do you guys fill your kongs all the way with PB or other stuff to freeze it? Most of the time I just spread some PB inside and stick some kibble, and treats to the inside of it. Is it to much PB if you fill it all the way?

I swipe a little PB on the inside of the kong, then mix plain yogurt with kibble and sometimes frozen vegetables, and stuff the kong with that.

Tweed with bling is like this guy in leather chaps

nerd.jpg

Hmmmm ... I replied to this ... where'd my post go??

RDM

Some folks in the Gallery were saying that their posts from last night had disappeared. So, hopefully, it's not because you cussed me out for teasing the tweirdy one!

Some folks in the Gallery were saying that their posts from last night had disappeared. So, hopefully, it's not because you cussed me out for teasing the tweirdy one!

Oh I totally cussed you out for that!

As if. My life's work is to malign Tweed at any opportunity!

RDM

I don't use kongs, but I will put unfinished raw meaty bones back in the freezer. They always go in a bag - not because they've been chewed, but because of the bits of raw meat still on them.

Now.... where can I get bling like that for Zeb?

No I never fill the whole thing with pb. Most of the time I put a little bit of pb inside, stick some kibble to it, throw some pieces of a pup peroni in there and call it good. Nothing to much but it works for a half hour or so.

So plain yogurt from the store is ok? I'm trying to figure out what's ok for them to eat and what's not. That way this summer I can make him some cool treats to eat.

I put in a little bit of peanut butter, since it's soooo fatty and she doesn't need peanuts, a few pieces of dehydrated lamb heart, a little bit of yogurt, and fill the rest with green tripe from a can, sealed with a cap of cream cheese. Because this gets so messy, I put it in a big zip lock baggy. I personally don't mind a little bit of tripe or peanut butter on my veggies, but apparently until I leave for college in 4 years I'm stuck with baggies. For some of the kongs I just put in some of the lamb heart and seal it with peanut butter and cream cheese. In that case, I just stick it in the side door.