BC Boards

60 Million containers of Pet food recalled

Thankfully this isnt the food I buy Riven...but I know some people do feed that here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/ The following is the story taken from that link...

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

“At this juncture, we’re not 100 percent sure what’s happened,” said Paul Henderson, the company’s president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company’s “cuts and gravy” style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6. The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site — www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods’ three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

“To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,” Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Here's a link to a detailed list of the recalled products: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

Recalled Dog Product Information

Recalled Dog Product Information

Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

Authority

Award

Best Choice

Big Bet

Big Red

Bloom

Bruiser

Cadillac

Companion

Demoulas Market Basket

Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog

Food Lion

Giant Companion

Great Choice

Hannaford

Hill Country Fare

Hy-Vee

Key Food

Laura Lynn

Loving Meals

Main Choice

Mixables

Nutriplan

Nutro Max

Nutro Natural Choice

Nutro

Ol'Roy

Paws

Pet Essentials

Pet Pride

Presidents Choice

Price Chopper

Priority

Publix

Roche Bros

Save-A-Lot

Schnucks

Springsfield Pride

Sprout

Stater Bros

Total Pet, My True Friend

Western Family

White Rose

Winn Dixie

Your Pet

There's a similar list for cat food if you follow the first link

Wow, that's a lot of dog food to recall. I'm glad I don't feed any of that food to Black Jack. That would be terrible to feed them what you thought was safe and have them die from it. There sure is a lot of food being recalled the last few weeks (people, and canine) I almost don't want to eat anything anymore :rolleyes:

I believe it is only wet food that is affected, not dry kibble. Today's Associated Press story confirms the information that Smiley_Zookie posted originally:

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates is available from the Menu Foods website, http://www.menufoods.com/recall. Consumers with questions can also call (866) 895-2708.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6.

Ugh. I had just purchased four of the little packets of Nutro Natural Choice from Petsmart to get Recon to eat her kibble. I've had to switch to Wellness and with her not feeling well I was just trying to entice her a bit.

I decided against giving it to her last night, though. No idea why, really, just remember standing at the counter going "no, i'll give it one more day, we'll try it tomorrow."

Still have the receipt.

Thank God I didn't feed it to her.

I HAVE been feeding one the recalled brands, but not any of the cans listed. Whew. I've been giving Ben a little canned cat food and the Aldi brand (Fine Feline) is one of few inexpensive brands with no chicken or grains. I heard somewhere that the problem is linked to a wheat gluten product.

Ugh. I had just purchased four of the little packets of Nutro Natural Choice from Petsmart to get Recon to eat her kibble. I've had to switch to Wellness and with her not feeling well I was just trying to entice her a bit.

I decided against giving it to her last night, though. No idea why, really, just remember standing at the counter going "no, i'll give it one more day, we'll try it tomorrow."

Still have the receipt.

Thank God I didn't feed it to her.

I guess sometimes it's good to follow your gut feeling :rolleyes: I'm happy to hear that poor Recon didn't get any of it. That's the last thing she needs right now.

I guess I'm lucky this time, I only feed Black Jack dry kibble.

Has anyone here heard of King Canine Dog Food? Some one at my husband's dialysis center feeds it ,and their poodle got mighty ill this weekend with seizures. The man is wondering if it could be connected to that dog food, as the emergency vet could find no reason for his poodle's seizures.

Im a bit scared for my best friend. She's single and her "kid" is her cat Spooky. She's been feeding the recalled food for 2 days to her cause she didnt realize Science Diet was also part of the recall. So, thanks for those links people. We're hoping that she is ok, and nothin bad is happenin. In the meantime here's intresting info I found...

Experts advise owners to call their veterinarian if a pet has eaten recalled food and shows symptoms of possible kidney failure. An animal could be in trouble if it:

• Stops eating

• Appears tired and lifeless

• Seems excessively thirsty

• Urinates much more than usual

• Vomits

• Has diarrhea

• Seems to have abdominal pain