BC Boards

puppy question

My bc pup is about three 1/2 months old now. We exercise him often during the day both physically and mentally and he is happy alert and calm during these hours. But at about 7- 8 pm when we want to settle down and maybe watch tv, he becomes a little monster and won't listen, won't settle, barks for attention constantly, etc, etc, etc. `He has two long walks in the evening (8 and 10 pm) but this doesn't seem to help much. Darn it, I just want to watch some tv in quiet. We have tried putting him in his crate off and on during this time off but he won't settle. It's like he is wound up and can't turn off. It doesn't matter what we do to try and quiet him. Toys, chew bones, in his crate or out - nothing works. In his crate, he will bark and cry continuously, fall asleep for 5 min or so and then wake up and bark and cry again. It's hard to listen to it.

When we do go to bed about 11 pm (his crate is in our bedroom) he does settle down and sleeps a full 8 hours. He does naturally fall asleep for a while in the late afternoon. He does have a full, experiential, and interesting day.

"Bucky" now knows and obeys, heel, stop, sit, down, stand, stay, come. working on the jumping up thing, having trouble with it though. He is a great pup and I know he will be a great dog.

I've had two other dogs before Bucky in my life (one was a BC) and I have never had this problem at nite time with them. I didn't even have a crate for them.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice I can get about this nite time thing. I just would like some peace and to be able to watch some tv and for everyone to be happy! :rolleyes:

What am I missing? What don't I know. help.

thanks,

Tara

Tara, it doesn't sound like you're missing anything, really. I think you just have to wait out the hissy fit he throws when he's put in his crate to settle. My Jack would do the same thing about 9:00 every night when he was a puppy (still does, occasionally!). It's like a kid that's just too wound up. They're really tired, but have to be made to settle.

So, I would say put him in the crate, shut the door and turn out the light. Ignore the whinning and wailing. He'll get over it when he sees you won't give in. This may take a while, but I think he'll catch on, that crate time means settle.

Another Godsend for quiet time is a stuffed, frozen Kong. You can give it to the puppy in his crate to settle, or just give it to him while you watch TV.

Good luck. Remember, this too, shall pass. :rolleyes:

Tara, it doesn't sound like you're missing anything, really. I think you just have to wait out the hissy fit he throws when he's put in his crate to settle. My Jack would do the same thing about 9:00 every night when he was a puppy (still does, occasionally!). It's like a kid that's just too wound up. They're really tired, but have to be made to settle.

I can understand this when I relate it to a kid being over tired.

So, I would say put him in the crate, shut the door and turn out the light. Ignore the whinning and wailing. He'll get over it when he sees you won't give in. This may take a while, but I think he'll catch on, that crate time means settle.

Another Godsend for quiet time is a stuffed, frozen Kong. You can give it to the puppy in his crate to settle, or just give it to him while you watch TV.

Good luck. Remember, this too, shall pass. :rolleyes:

this is just what I needed to hear. I kinda knew this but needed some encouragement and validation.

Thank you so much.

Just wondering though, how long can I leave him in the crate at nite (during those tv hours)? How much crate time is ok? Will still take him out at 8 and 10 for a walk. I just feel so guilty, you know.

Funny, I didn't feel guilty doing this with my kids. I put them to bed at 7 or 8. haha

tara

Each one of the tthree that I've had as pups has had a "crazy time" each evening. I think, as PSmitty said, it's just that they are tired and getting things out of their system before bedtime.

If you want to crate, try the frozen Kong or other desireable treat that will last a little while in the crate, be a challenge, and be enjoyable. Ours usually only were goofy for about a half-hour or so each evening but it sounds like your little one is a bit more persistent.

Sometimes it just takes patience and waiting things out. If you are watching TV in one room and the crate's in another, can you just crate him with something "to do" that's safe, shut the door, and go watch TV?

For my youngsters, this was just a phase that ended on its own. The TV and the pups and ourselves were all just in one room, the pup would run itself out in half-an-hour or so, and fall asleep in a heap. I enjoyed "the show" but it did make watching TV difficult.

Best wishes!

Each one of the tthree that I've had as pups has had a "crazy time" each evening. I think, as PSmitty said, it's just that they are tired and getting things out of their system before bedtime.

If you want to crate, try the frozen Kong or other desireable treat that will last a little while in the crate, be a challenge, and be enjoyable. Ours usually only were goofy for about a half-hour or so each evening but it sounds like your little one is a bit more persistent.

Sometimes it just takes patience and waiting things out. If you are watching TV in one room and the crate's in another, can you just crate him with something "to do" that's safe, shut the door, and go watch TV?

For my youngsters, this was just a phase that ended on its own. The TV and the pups and ourselves were all just in one room, the pup would run itself out in half-an-hour or so, and fall asleep in a heap. I enjoyed "the show" but it did make watching TV difficult.

Best wishes!

If the crazy time was just a half and hour, I could handle it, but as you suggest, Bucky is a LOT more persistent.

When I put him in the crate, it doesn't seem to matter much what I give him while in there, he still won't settle down.

I think I will just have to wait it out till a gets a bit older and can settle down in the living room with us.

All things will pass. All is good. :-)

Thanks Sue

Tara

I had a reply typed out and lost it! Grrrr...it went something like this:

Tara, as for how long to keep him in there, that you'll have to play by ear. See, with Jack, we could put him in the quiet/dark room for about 20 minutes and it would calm him down enough that he could come back out with us in the living room or wherever, and chill out. It may be too soon to expect that out of your pup.

How about trying the quiet/dark room, door closed for 20-30 minutes. Wait him out and don't let him out while he's fussing! Hopefully he'll eventually (may take a couple of weeks) take a nap when he goes in there. Then, after you let him out, hopefully he's chilled out enough to give him a stuffed, frozen Kong in the room with you guys.

Hang in there! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I realized that your pup is "longer lasting" than mine have been. Farm life can tire a little guy out.

And, Tara, don't forget the beauty of closed captioning. We get to watch TV and the dogs get to play. At my age, I like those subtitles even when the dogs are quiet.

Best wishes!

Don't forget your pup is just 14 weeks old. And here's the bad news: for the next year he's going to get bigger, stronger and more energetic. The best advice I can give you is--a good puppy is a tired puppy.

I looked twice at the words "he gets two long walks in the evening." I don't think the word "walk" should ever be used in reference to exercise with a bc. A walk may be a pleasant diversion, a way to see the world and share time with you. It may even be good exercise for you. But unless you are walking off leash somewhere, which means, in general, you are walking 2 miles, but your bc is running 4 miles, back and forth and around you, a walk isn't bc exercise, and it isn't going to tire your dog out. You don't say if your dog is crated during the day, but if he is he's got to be going zonkers by the time you're ready to settle down.

My advice--run that pup's butt off from 7-8:00 and see if he doesn't settle in a little better. After an hour of frisbee, I simply need to turn up the TV to cover up the sound of two panting bc's and they're ready to watch American Idol, too.

I have to second GeorgiaBC's comment about walks. Living on a farm, our walks are me walking and the dogs running and playing, and so I tend to forget that a leash walk is not the same in terms of exercise, even though it is a wonderful activity with your dog.

I had a reply typed out and lost it! Grrrr...it went something like this:

Tara, as for how long to keep him in there, that you'll have to play by ear. See, with Jack, we could put him in the quiet/dark room for about 20 minutes and it would calm him down enough that he could come back out with us in the living room or wherever, and chill out. It may be too soon to expect that out of your pup.

How about trying the quiet/dark room, door closed for 20-30 minutes. Wait him out and don't let him out while he's fussing! Hopefully he'll eventually (may take a couple of weeks) take a nap when he goes in there. Then, after you let him out, hopefully he's chilled out enough to give him a stuffed, frozen Kong in the room with you guys.

Hang in there! :rolleyes:

thanks for your advice. 20-30 min. seems reasonable to me.

And "playing it by ear" is so true. Every pup is different and I need to trust my instinct and intuition.

Yeah, I realized that your pup is "longer lasting" than mine have been. Farm life can tire a little guy out.

And, Tara, don't forget the beauty of closed captioning. We get to watch TV and the dogs get to play. At my age, I like those subtitles even when the dogs are quiet.

Best wishes!

haha.

so nice to talk and laugh with you guys.

Tara

Don't forget your pup is just 14 weeks old. And here's the bad news: for the next year he's going to get bigger, stronger and more energetic. The best advice I can give you is--a good puppy is a tired puppy.

I looked twice at the words "he gets two long walks in the evening." I don't think the word "walk" should ever be used in reference to exercise with a bc. A walk may be a pleasant diversion, a way to see the world and share time with you. It may even be good exercise for you. But unless you are walking off leash somewhere, which means, in general, you are walking 2 miles, but your bc is running 4 miles, back and forth and around you, a walk isn't bc exercise, and it isn't going to tire your dog out. You don't say if your dog is crated during the day, but if he is he's got to be going zonkers by the time you're ready to settle down.

My advice--run that pup's butt off from 7-8:00 and see if he doesn't settle in a little better. After an hour of frisbee, I simply need to turn up the TV to cover up the sound of two panting bc's and they're ready to watch American Idol, too.

I hear ya. :rolleyes: Bucky isn't crated during the day. One of us is always home. If he is crated, it's only for about 10 min if he needs time out. And by walk, in this instance I mean lots of run abouts during the day. We have a long lunge line and use this for a 'walking' leash if he is on the road. We walk and he runs and bounds through the deep snow. My partner does long bike rides almost every day and when Bucky is maybe a year old we plan on teaching him to ride along side of the bike (on a leash, of course). So that should be a good workout for him. It's very safe where we live, no traffic at all on our back wilderness road.

I like your advice about running his butt off from 7-8. Will try this tonight. He also seems to love the frisbee and brings it right back for another throw, so this should work out well too.

As others have mentioned, mental exercize is almost as good at tiring out as the physical. Am trying to come up with little challenges for him around the house. putting a treat under the laundry basket and having him figure out how to get it worked really well yesterday. More ideas along this line would be appreciated.

best,

Tara

I have to second GeorgiaBC's comment about walks. Living on a farm, our walks are me walking and the dogs running and playing, and so I tend to forget that a leash walk is not the same in terms of exercise, even though it is a wonderful activity with your dog.

I realize that living on a farm is the best all-round life for a BC. I worried about this before I got another one. Still do. I think it takes a lot more energy thinking up make-work/exercise than just doing what comes naturally on a farm. :rolleyes:

tara

We solved the same problem by moving the TV downstairs and canceling the cable... :rolleyes:

Seriously, our first pup was almost 2 before we could watch a movie all the way through. And just about that time, we added another puppy.

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to watch a movie and it took four hours to get through--and that was with Frozen Kongs and bully sticks for everyone and crates for the 18-week and the teenager who wants everyone else's stuff.

We've found that it's a lot easier to get them to settle down if we are reading rather than trying to watch TV--we imagine it has something to do with a less "discursive" environment--who knows, though. I suspect it could be just as much that we are more commited to reading than watching TV, but somehow we've taught them, including the 18 week old, to settle down while we read-and that's usually for 2-3 hours in the evenings. No clue what we did, though. Sometimes we wonder if our water is laced with qualuudes. (which is another possible strategy for watching TV, I suppose)

We solved the same problem by moving the TV downstairs and canceling the cable... :rolleyes:

Seriously, our first pup was almost 2 before we could watch a movie all the way through. And just about that time, we added another puppy.

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to watch a movie and it took four hours to get through--and that was with Frozen Kongs and bully sticks for everyone and crates for the 18-week and the teenager who wants everyone else's stuff.

We've found that it's a lot easier to get them to settle down if we are reading rather than trying to watch TV--we imagine it has something to do with a less "discursive" environment--who knows, though. I suspect it could be just as much that we are more commited to reading than watching TV, but somehow we've taught them, including the 18 week old, to settle down while we read-and that's usually for 2-3 hours in the evenings. No clue what we did, though. Sometimes we wonder if our water is laced with qualuudes. (which is another possible strategy for watching TV, I suppose)

thanks for the chuckle. But I think my problem here is twofold. An over tired puppy in the evening and a firm understanding on both the puppies part and my own, of just who is boss. And it starts with me. I don't intend to miss a movie that I've paid for, parts of it or otherwise because I have to stop and pay attention to a puppy who wants the attention instead. As long as I know that he is ok - not hungry, thirsty, or deprived in anyway, if he doesn't behave, he goes in his crate with a toy and a bone to chew on till he can be quiet and settle while I do other things in peace.

I simply refuse to let myself be wrapped around my puppy's little paw anymore. I know a trainer who has bc's and it's beautiful to watch him with his dogs. His bc's win all of the obedience trials in these parts. And his dogs simply adore him. He told me first and foremost, always remember who you are, he is a dog and you are doG spelled backwards. He has a new bc pup (nine months old now) and it's hard to believe, but he can put that dog in a sit stay on the side of a busy highway with big trucks going by, walk out of sight, and the pup won't move till he returns. The pup is not afraid of him, that pup has learned to trust and obey. This is the kind of dog I want to have.

Hope you guys get to watch a movie all the way through soon (if this is what you want to do, that is) :D

I hate to tell you this, but Annie is almost 3 years old, and no matter what we do to tire her out during the day, she is still the Energizer Bunny until it is time to go to bed at night. So don't necessarily expect this behavior to grow calmer with age...

Also, a great concept to introduce to a bc puppy, which becomes critical if you have multiple dogs, is that outdoors is for playing, indoors is for settling down. That's a really easy concept for a bc to understand, and will pay dividends for the next 15 years.

Yes! and thanks for understanding what I mean.

I hate to tell you this, but Annie is almost 3 years old, and no matter what we do to tire her out during the day, she is still the Energizer Bunny until it is time to go to bed at night. So don't necessarily expect this behavior to grow calmer with age...

Hi.

I hate to say this :rolleyes: but I think that this must be the behaviour you enjoy and allow, otherwise it wouldn't happen. If it works for you and it's ok, then that's cool.

For me, I expect my Bucky's behaviour to be calm when I want it to be. And my expectations are fair and realistic. And they will be respected.

I would never "run a pup's butt off" especially a 14 week old pup. Controlled induced exercise is one thing but randomly throwing a frisbee for an hour is something I would never do to a young pup. Joints, soft tissue and tendons/ligaments need care at this age not induced abuse, IMO.

Karen

I would never "run a pup's butt off" especially a 14 week old pup. Controlled induced exercise is one thing but randomly throwing a frisbee for an hour is something I would never do to a young pup. Joints, soft tissue and tendons/ligaments need care at this age not induced abuse, IMO.

Karen

Hi Karen. I realize that you are quoting Georgiabc, here but I want you to know that I am aware of my pups age and I didn't take what she said (and meant, I think) literally, just in general. I think she is right about a long bound about before settling down in the evening. As a matter of fact it worked quite well last night. As for frisbee, I'm doing that gently with awareness of his physical capabilities and concerns. I just roll that little sucker (frisbee) along the ground (when I can find a spot that is cleared of snow) for a very short distance. It's easy on him and enough for now.

Hi Karen. I realize that you are quoting Georgiabc, here but I want you to know that I am aware of my pups age and I didn't take what she said (and meant, I think) literally, just in general. I think she is right about a long bound about before settling down in the evening. As a matter of fact it worked quite well last night. As for frisbee, I'm doing that gently with awareness of his physical capabilities and concerns. I just roll that little sucker (frisbee) along the ground (when I can find a spot that is cleared of snow) for a very short distance. It's easy on him and enough for now.

Ok, I first want to thank everyone for your reply to me. Every single one was a great help and much appreciated.

I want to tell you how it goes now. Yesterday I decided to be the alpha with a firm conviction. I had had enough of the 'crazy nite time' behaviour and I saw that it was escalating to other times during the day. It got so that when I disciplined him he retaliated by refusing to eat. (or whatever, but this is how it went). So I ended up actually hand feeding him because he refused to eat out of his bowl. Talk about manipulation! Enough already.

This morning - me, a whole knew attitude - for Bucky, haha, a whole new life. He wouldn't eat this am unless I hand fed and coaxed so I just took his food away. Lunch, he was still on this trip. I refused to cater to him and again, he refused to eat.

Tonight, he was so hungry that he ate out of his bowl. I don't think I will have a problem getting him to eat out of his bowl from now on.

All kinds of not accepted behavior has been corrected today. I say "no barking", he listens and stops. I say, "Off" when he jumps up - he sits. Well, gee, he knew what I wanted and I knew that he did. (it's important that your pup understand what you want him to do). If he knows and he disobeys, well, that's when you gotta get tough.

He had lots of outdoor exercise today.

I see, this evening, a happy tired pup.

Here's the thing. I had to decide who was boss/alpha and believe it. I trust myself to be fair but know that I am and know that I love him. So I can't go wrong. He is dog I am God.

From your attitude/your philosophy, comes/flow your actions, and if you believe in yourself and trust yourself, your dog will do the same. And will be happy and content. This is pack behavior and this is what dogs respond to. You are the alpha. This is what your dog needs to know.

what a wonderful little puppy I have. I took a pic of him crashed out this evening, smiling. Don't know how to post it here.