BC Boards

Could really use a foster home or two

I got three requests to take dogs on today alone, and 2 of the 3 are in imminent danger of being killed. They all appear purebred. I'm hoping there is someone lurking on the boards from the BC area that might like to foster and hasn't said anything yet. It's a long shot, but we already have 15 or so dogs in rescue ... I am rapidly running out of room. I have space for one and *possibly* two of these three dogs.

Anyone out there?

RDM

Well, you've got some really great dogs already in foster and hopefully they will find homes soon which should free you up!

I generally don't find smooth coats attractive, but Simon's very handsome and regal looking. And I love his white eyelashes. What a looker! His page is very informative. About the only thing you don't cover is his size. How big (height/weight) is he?

Simon

simonnew1.jpg

Well, you've got some really great dogs already in foster and hopefully they will find homes soon which should free you up!

I generally don't find smooth coats attractive, but Simon's very handsome and regal looking. And I love his white eyelashes. What a looker! His page is very informative. About the only thing you don't cover is his size. How big (height/weight) is he?

Simon is gorgeous. He is about 40lbs or so, I don't know how tall, but I think his photos make him look taller than he is. He's not that huge.

It would be nice if some of these great dogs got adopted, but right now it seems everyone wants an older dog (which is great!) or the one puppy (which is typical). The problem is, many of the folks fostering the older dogs only foster older dogs, so when they move on I still don't have space for the younger ones that need to come in.

RDM

I was just reading the entry about Lucy and it broke my heart. Would you consider a behavioral work up on her and possibly anti-anxiety meds? Obviously there's no way to get a complete picture from a short website description but if she is as frightened and anxious as it sounds she may benefit from drug intervention, at least in the short term, and it may help her to become adoptable more quickly.

Well, the good news is that one long-termer, Lewis, got adopted last week. And as of today we have good applications for both Rudy and, miracles of miracles, KC! I never thought KC would get adopted! But it would be wonderful if he did, so fingers crossed!!

RDM

Melanie - I got this update from Lucy's foster mum, so you'll be relieved to know she is doing MUCH better.

I don't know if there has been any interest in Lucy, but I thought I should send you an update so that you can tell people she is turning into a wonder dog. I can't believe what a difference there is in her in 5 weeks. She has lost weight and gained confidence in about equal measure and actually looks and behaves like a dog now.

Her anxiety has responded really well to a mixture of letting her know who the leader is, through simple obedience, and calmly ignoring her snappy, whiny behaviour and doing what ever needs to be done, like putting on her leash and being dried off and brushed. There is virtually no snarling or peeing now unless I really push her comfort level, which I keep doing because she still has some fears to overcome, especially going in the car which is quite a challenge.

She loves her walks and hurries to sit for her leash. She heels really nicely and is fine off leash. She pays really good attention to me and has good recall. At first she just walked in a straight line paying no attention to things around her but now she stops to sniff and explore and this week has finally started to play with other dogs and chase sticks.

She has lost an amazing amount of weight and has a proper dog figure and I think the weight loss has helped her energy. Her limp is only really apparent when she is running, although she jogs with me quite happily, and on stairs or if she has to jump. I doubt if agility would be her thing because of that.

In the house, she very quiet. She loves to be close to me and will follow me around from room to room but not obsessively so. She has only barked once and takes no notice of the mailman. She is quite happy inside and doesn't show much interest in spending time in the yard.

All in all, Lucy is turning into a real jewel of a dog and one I would love to keep if only I could. She is a perfect companion for someone who is active, is able to be consistent in building her confidence and setting boundaries and would enjoy seeing her blossom. She is a delight to train and could learn a lot more than the basics I have taught her. With a bit more polish, she will really shine.

Also, pending a home visit, KC the Hairless may have a home!!

410673708_a9fe6f00bf.jpg

RDM

That's wonderful news about Lucy. She sounded like a real basket case, and I thought she'd been that way for a while. Glad to know a little TLC is all she needed, poor girl.

Hey you can send Rudy this way :rolleyes: I'd foster *Foo's code word for adopt* him for as long as he needs! Honestly if i lived closer, i'd be more then happy to foster. Now if i could only figure out a way to get this stupid city law changed i could take in a few more BCs.