BC Boards

Dog shoes?

We just moved to Phoenix and it is going to get really hot in the next couple of months. I have heard that you can get shoes for dogs with senitive pads. Does anyone know anything about this? Even at night, I have been told, it will still be 100 degrees. I do not want to burn my pups paws, any suggestions on avoiding hot pavement? :rolleyes:

We camp a lot at the sand dunes here in the summer. There is water all around, but I'd really like to know what you get because I'd seriously consider it for Riven when we camp there. ... Obviously I have no suggestions sorry lol. I just wanted to know what you get and if you like it.

We camp a lot at the sand dunes here in the summer. There is water all around, but I'd really like to know what you get because I'd seriously consider it for Riven when we camp there. ... Obviously I have no suggestions sorry lol. I just wanted to know what you get and if you like it.

I will let you know as soon as I figure it out. I am going to do some serious research in the next couple of weeks.

First of all...poor you! When I had my old wolfhound he had very sensitive feet so I went to a leather maker (you can go to shoe repair shop or tack store that does leather repairs) and had him make "moccasins" with a velcro closure out of scrap leather. Together we came up with a design that worked pretty well, and the craftsman was really keen to get it right for us.

Ruffwear has new (expensive) boots w/ rubber soles designed for hard core hiking and running dogs. I've also heard good things about Muttluks. Maggie hates shoes and we don't get that scorching here, so we just use paw wax for snow and otherwise her footsies are fine.

Perhaps locating a dog owners or rescue group in the area you'll be heading to would be the best bet for recommendations?

With a little conditioning even a puppys feet get callused and accustomed to hot surfaces. Standing or walking on 100 degree grass will feel cool when the air temp is 110 or above, its blacktop when the sun is out and even a few hours after sundown that you want to avoid.Believe me your dogs will only want to sleep or swim when its real hot. Its just not smart or healthy to go out when it is super hot unless you need too. Be sure you and your dogs get plenty water and never leave your dog in the car when the weather is hot. The heat in Phx some times seems oppresive but you learn to adapt, do strenuos things in the cool hours and try to be in the shade when its super hot. its a dry heat at least! I spent a summer in humid Austin Texas and was so relieved to get home to Phx. in August when it was a 118 degrees.