BC Boards

O/T: Questions/Problems with the new board software

Okay, I thought I'd start a thread of its own for this. Bear in mind that we're all learning to a certain extent with this new software -- I'm only a few steps ahead of y'all at best -- so chime in with both questions and answers if you have them. I'm really impressed with how fast some of you have hit the ground running.

Re the time: I know it's screwed up. It's Greenwich mean time. We expect to get it changed to ET (USA) tomorrow.

Re the listing of who's online (the 1984 issue): I welcome feedback about whether this is a feature folks want to keep or lose. In the meantime, if you prefer to lurk undetected, you can check the "Log in as invisible" box on the login page.

What else?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

Thanks for all your hard work!

I think that under the last format, I entered my birthday and set it as private, but when I came on the new boards my birthday was published in my profile; I fixed it now. If there is a way to set birthdays to *default* to private, that would probably be best since most of us would have entered it as private info.

:rolleyes:

Rossie

Eileen, you folks have done a great job! Thanks! (I have to tell you that several other dog-type folks from my office LOVE our website! They do not have BC's, but are trying to work with their dogs in a similar manner.) Thanks! I will continue to play until I get my posts right.

Also, it was a bit disconcerting at first to see who was viewing each post, but . . . you know what . . . I think it's a good idea! Again, thanks for the site. Even the folks in my office who don't have BCs enjoy getting the terrific information that the folks here have to share.

Edited by Allie Oop

Yes, I like seeing who's online too. I think it's great, the more I look the more I like.

Thanks for all your (and Heather's) hard work, Eileen!

One question - can a person increase the size of the font on this board? I tried using the "view" function near the top of the page and telling it to go larger (and then largest) but no increase in size. I do have a bit of strain reading this smaller font.

I'm also running into being logged out, sometimes without ever leaving the board. I don't know if that's me, my computer, my Norton, or the program.

When I tried to put on an avatar, I got a nonspecific error message even though it said it would adjust the size of the picture (from my computer). Again, probably my limitations in computer skills rather than anything else.

On my slow dial-up, this program seems to work much more quickly than the old one did. Thanks for that!

Thank you (and Heather) for all you do!

Edited by Sue R

I'll applaud all the hard work that went into this! :D I'm on the vote of keeping the "Seeing who is on" thing... And speaking of 1984, did anyone enjoy that book? I had to read it last semester and LOVED it!

Back to the topic... I'm pretty savvy with HTML and the like, as in figuring things out and how to do certain things for boards/internet/websites. Not trying to push you out of the way, Eileen, in the least bit. Just making sure you know that I'm here in case somebody needs assistance. :rolleyes:

Before asking questions, I would go check out the "My Controls". Most of the issues listed here (as far as invisible status, hiding personal info, changing time) can be set there. It may take a few tricks and trys to get what you're looking for, but most of it should be there.

Thanks again Heather and Eileen! (Ack, I feel so disrespectful using first names only... How about Ms. Heather and Ms. Eileen? :D )

~Lindzey

A lot of the time I see an error message instead of the emoticons or pics. Am I the only one having that problem?

Hello! I'm so glad to be back and have a new toy to mess with!

I think the old emoticons are erroring out, maybe because they were using diferent gifs?

Testing the emoticons: :rolleyes::D:D

A lot of the time I see an error message instead of the emoticons or pics. Am I the only one having that problem?

You're not the only one; I too see that in some posts the emoticons and pics carried over, and other posts they didn't.

I noticed that one of the things in my profile that didn't carry over was my location, so I'd like to encourage people to update their profile with that...I love seeing how geographically diverse we are! Plus sometimes it helps to be able to identify people that are local/regional.

I like that the avatars are a little bigger, and I really like that it appears to keep the original image proportions, instead of scrunching everything into a square.

So far, thumbs up for the new board!! :rolleyes:

OK, so it took some work to get back on. But several emails later we got it working! :rolleyes:

In the gallery some of the pictures are showing up, but some (mine) are not. Why is that?

I don't understand the attachment thing either....

Testing stuff out:

post-5076-1171127924_thumb.jpg

bold italics underline 6H2O + 6CO2icon11.gif C6H12O6 + 6O2strikethoughs! fonts - that is cool BIG little color! :D

201351_1168113948.jpg

Edited by Kat's Dogs

This is my understanding :rolleyes:

Pictures with the frame (the ones you can click) are attatchments, which you can get right off your computer and they can be full size.

If you do the IMG things (or click on the "insert image" button above the post you are typing) you have to use a picture with an internet URL, it will be whatever size it is on the webpage and will be the flat image (no clicky inlargey thing).

Interesting. This will be so cool once I get used to it! :D

Eileen, the new soft looks great.

Regarding your 1984 question :rolleyes: I think it's cool to see who's online, I like that. However I would preffer not to see what each member is doing at all time. Moderators can have this option, but I think it is way too Big Brothery for my taste, as a regular member.

P.S. I expressed my feelings on an earlier post that was discussing how someone was checking people's profiles.

A question....

I figured out why my pictures won't post.

An error message comes up saying "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed". I don't understand :rolleyes:

I am doing it the way I have always done, but now it doesn't work. I don't know where all those pictures are stored on my compueter and it will be a real pain to upload them all to photobucket or something.

Is this something that can be changed by the admins?

Hi Eileen

Great work on getting this switched over so well. Amazing. I did want to ask if people still want the "overvaccination" thread stickied in the Health/Genetics section... the immune system dissertation was a lot for me to enter and I don't really want to have to reconstruct it, assuming people still want that info available. :rolleyes:

As far as general stuff in the new Boards, the only problem I'm having with the navigation is if I'm reading a thread in, say, the "Gerneral" forum and click on "Other BC topics" it gives me an error message and says that funcion is not allowed. If I click on "BC Boards" it alows it, or if I go from the thread to the "General" selection, and from the list of "General" topics thence to "Other BC topics" it allows it. Minor navigational thing, not really a problem; just not sure if that's how it's supposed to work.

As far as general stuff in the new Boards, the only problem I'm having with the navigation is if I'm reading a thread in, say, the "Gerneral" forum and click on "Other BC topics" it gives me an error message and says that funcion is not allowed. If I click on "BC Boards" it alows it, or if I go from the thread to the "General" selection, and from the list of "General" topics thence to "Other BC topics" it allows it. Minor navigational thing, not really a problem; just not sure if that's how it's supposed to work.

Ditto, AK dog doc! I meant to write about this, but I forgot :rolleyes: Thanks for bringing it up!