BC Boards

Awesome BC's UPDATE

jenfitzh20

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in my crate if anyone needs me - VBG :D:D:D

Sitting on hands is hard for Border collie people but I think we can manage for your sanity and the dog's sake! :rolleyes:

Love ya all.

Rebecca, I can't imagine you sitting still. So I'll come over and lock your crate door, don't worry I'll hand the key to Ben(? did I get your guy's name right). Oh do you have any updates on Ollie?

I'm really hoping everything goes well. I'll continue praying. I'll keep ready for transporting if you need someone up this way.

Curious thou the dog that gave birth was she at the mill or with one of ya'll? I'm crossing fingers she was with ya'll.

Keep us updated. Thanks for all you do.

Unfortunately the bitch that welped is with the state of MO now, we have none of the dogs as of yet but we're waiting for the call.

We're trying to prepare for that so anyone IN MISSOURI that is willing to foster any of these dogs if we do get them, please let me know. We do need you to fill out our online volunteer application before we can give you a dog. We've been told they have to stay in Missouri which really limits our resources so we'll need foster homes in MO!

This really breaks my heart. I CANNOT fathom having an animal being euthanized for not being able to find a home just because of POLITICS and STATE REGULATIONS. Not when there are so many on this board alone that are willing to take these dogs in and either foster or potentially adopt. But the state won't let them...they would rather put them to sleep if need be. I know there's probably alot of behind the scene stuff that I couldn't even begin to understand. Oh well...I guess sometimes your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Sorry about my rant but this particular issue just really pulls at my heartstrings. I just wish others were allowed to help out by being able to give these dogs a home.

Jennifer and Ironhorse, you have really worked extremely hard on taking care of this huge problem and a big THANK YOU goes out to you both...I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone on this board when I say that.

Who is the state? Is that the local animal shelter. Just asking because here they go by county.

I can not see how they would euthanize the dogs when so many people are willing to help. Maybe like said before they would like to prosecute, and need to get evidence.

St. Francis must be real busy right now

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYWHERE THAT THESE DOGS WILL BE EUTHANIZED!!!!!!!!!!! This whole situation has just gone down. Give things some time to get sorted out!
No you're right it hasn't been mentioned but just what do you think they do w/ most animals that they can't find a home for. And as Ironhorse said ranging from anywhere between 35-40 dogs here. To me thats ALOT of dogs especially when you consider that there's lots more within any state you live in to find homes for too to add on top of that number. It has been mentioned that MO will not give them up to anyone out of state. You can pretty much bank on that no state is going to feed and shelter these animals for the next 14-16 years so you can pretty much come to the conclusion that some of them will be PTS. That was what my whole point was about....too many people out of state WANT to help but can't even after the fire dies down.

I know that until any legal matters are concluded, the "state" generally has to keep the dogs in its custody.For now, I am sure they are trying to decide whether they will be prosecuting for animal abuse and cannot answer any questions about the dogs until the matter has been decided.

Please forgive me if I have stepped out of bounds here but if I understand the way these things work is that the dogs will probably have to be in state custody until the owner signs them over or goes to trial. (If it's considered a cruelty case)And it seems to me that the owner is having a few problems right now so it's probably uncertain as to if she's capable of a trial or not.

As far as them being PTS I don't think the state can do that as long as the dogs "belong" to someone. So I think they will be alright for now.

That is probably why fosters are urgently needed in MO.

I'm sure "technically" the dogs still belong to the owner.

oops looks like Books and I posted at the same time.

We have been promised that the dogs will not be euthanized or auctioned off. They are the property of the state, Ms Thomas willingly signed them over to the dept of ag (Missouri). The state is NOT prosecuting because she willingly relinquished the dogs.

We have not yet discovered why we have to keep them in the state of MO, we do plan to investigate that further.

In a way it's kind of good that happened that way - at least there's very little chance of the owner changing her mind as happens so often in these cases, and demanding her dogs back. She'd have to bring action against the state rather than MoKan or any individual - brrr, that always sucks.

Sounds like things are moving in a good direction. I'm racking my brains and beating the bushes for people in MO I know who might be able to squeeze in a dog or two, just in case.

I do know that the humane society here in the county that I live in, can not take in an animal unless it goes through the county first. It goes to animal control, and then if they choose to, they can call in the rescue to take the animal.

But once a dog goes to a rescue, then it is the rescue's choice where the animal gets fostered or adopted. I would think that when they hand over the animals, they also hand over any rights to say where they go. Would you guys agree?

Some shelters dont have any problems letting dogs go to rescues out of state. The dog that I helped transfer recently was going from Georgia to Virginia. But animal control may have different rules.

There was a case a few years back here in Hawaii where the FD was called to a condo for a kitchen fire. The owner was not home. Once there, they discovered about 40 dogs in a 1 bedroom condo. In terrible condition of course.

The owner showed up when the state did. And off the dogs went. They all were taken to the Humane society for medical reasons. From there, the Humane society fostered out the animals. At that time it was a criminal case because they owner felt she did no wrong.

In the end, she was found guilty. And all the dogs - except those that died - were adobted out to very loving homes.

So, I don't think all hope is lost. Maybe these dogs won't be going to the best of places now...but it's better than where they were and hopefully, they will find loving homes in the end.

Denise

FYI,

The Dogs that the MDA have taken into their custody in this incident are being sheltered in a very good air conditioned facility, two of the dogs were put on antibodics due to minor injuries that apparently occurred between them in a fight(both are adult intact males)the remaining dogs were all found to be in good condition.

NONE of these dogs will be euthanized.

And as far as I am aware at this time the MDA is not stating that any of these dogs that are adopted will be required to remain within the State of Missouri they have only stated that all of the dogs must be Fostered by Missouri residents.

If this is the case I personally do not view it as being a negative processing procedure.

It does make sense to me that due to the fact that this is an incident in the state of Missouri that the agency responsible for enforcing the state statutes (MDA)wishes to maintain a proper paper trail on this dogs to ensure that all of these dogs can be monitored in the years to come.

If the MDA were to immediately start allowing any of these dogs to be fostered into other states well then they could potentially, due to differences of state to state statutes, loose the ability to monitor the final destinations of these dogs.

Although it may appear to be a slow process you have to keep in mind that the MDA only took possesion of these dogs 2 days ago.

Actually I believe things are progressing at a faster then normal (for a govt agency) pace.

The main concern at this time is that the dogs are all safe and being well cared for.

And what is important from our standpoint is to get those Missouri residents who walk the talk to step up and apply to foster at this time.

It's a little overwhelming to come home and read about the drama playing itself out here, and it's heartwarming to see how ready my fellow members of these boards have been to offer their help and support. Iron Horse, you deserve all the commendations you've received, and I'm happy to add mine. I trust you and Jennifer will keep us informed, and will let us know what non-Missourians can ultimately do to help.

IronHorse:

Truly good news that the dogs are now in good hands and have been checked for health issues. Poor babies!

Just a thought...could you put a notice about fostering on the Awesome BC webpage? And how about a notice on Craig's list? Does Jennifer have a list of people who need to be contacted that any of us can help with? I'm racking my brain trying to think of anyone I know in Missouri to get the word out...

Set up a fund thru rescue and I'll write a check. Guess thats the best we can do to support MO and your endeavors- your time and our money

I think that the original website for Awesome BC should be copied for prosperity.The state should help with getting the rights to use the page-force the owner to sign over rights-- as part and pacrcel of the rescue and be used with the end results--- to help us educate where to NOT buy a pup from.

That Web site would look up and up to most people- and they can't understand us dumping on sites just like it. This situation would make our point for us very clearly.

Eileen; THANK YOU for in your own fasion to promote me into reaching a difficult and at the time perplexing problem I had to reach a decision upon that would hurt as few as possible and aid as many as possible and allow myself to not compromise my own ethical values.

SQinAZ; At this time I am not posting any additional information to the ABC website.

However this shall change and what you are suggesting is something that I have on my list

KillerH;

I believe that the many BC rescue orgs that have websites up are set up to take donations that they sorely need to continue the good work that they do. I would only suggest that before sending a donation to ANY rescue org you do abit of reseach about them so that you are comfortable in the knowledge that your donations are being managed in the fasion that you wish it to be.

At this time I would suggest viewing http://www.mokanbcrescue.org/

I have a great deal of respect for them and know that they will be working with alot of these dogs in the near future and it is going to take a big bite out of their funds.

I am sure they would be most grateful for any donations that they can get.

SQinAZ and to all

FYI

I personally and solely have full legal possesion and rights to the Awesome BC domain and and website.

What happens with it from this point on will be my decision But I would very much like to hear any and all ideas that might help to make the site a site that any Border Collie would be proud to be associated with.

Originally posted by IronHorse:

I would very much like to hear any and all ideas that might help to make the site a site that any Border Collie would be proud to be associated with.

I think that is "awesome", IronHorse, and will put on my thinking cap and send you any ideas I come up with.

Originally posted by IronHorse:

SQinAZ and to all

FYI

I personally and solely have full legal possesion and rights to the Awesome BC domain and and website.

What happens with it from this point on will be my decision But I would very much like to hear any and all ideas that might help to make the site a site that any Border Collie would be proud to be associated with.

I think it would be a good idea to make it educational for a Border Collie Buyer or "Wanna Be Buyer."

Educate people from your experience and what you have learned.

Explain what BYB and puppy mills are, how to spot them, and what they do to innocent dogs and buyers.

Get pictures of some of the dogs rescued and add their stories, heartwarming or heartbreaking.

And most importantly! Who to contact if someone finds a situation similar to the one you stumbled on.

AWARENESS, AWARENESS, AWARENESS, AWARENESS, and AWARENESS!

Awareness is the only way to stop bad things from happening to good dogs.

Good luck!

Katelynn