BC Boards

Awesome BC's UPDATE

jenfitzh20

>

No, there really isn't a difference. All it means is that the females in the next litter of puppies may be funneled into the auction house as breeders rather than sold to pet shops. The whippets in the story were 17 weeks old. Most puppy millers would be happy to keep pups til they were four months old, or even til first heat, and sell them at auction if they can get more money that way than by selling them to wholesalers for pet shops. Plus, they can feel secure knowing that they have the auction route as an outlet for the pups who don't get sold when they're little. You just can't get around the fact that ANY purchase at auction is boosting the demand which these millers are thereby encouraged to supply. Those bidders are in essence competing with the pet shop buyers for the puppymiller's "product," and thereby supporting the puppymill.

>

I totally agree with Jennifer here. Buying dogs in these circumstances for a flat $30 is not going to enrich or encourage puppy millers. I hope as many good people as possible do it. I was commenting on the practice -- described in the story Columbia posted -- of "rescuers" bidding for dogs at auction houses.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jenfitzh20:

Ironhorse, I'm not sure why you have stopped communicating with MKBCR or why you seem to have so many things you don't want to share...I just hope you know what you're getting yourself into.

Jennifer I can ask MKBCR the same question

you have my personal contact info and I have been extremely busy since our last phone conversation. there are matters pertaining to this that I will not post onto a public forum.

I will say this though,I do know where 4 of the Awesome Pack are sleeping tonight and they will never be treated like a disposable commodity again for as long as they live.

Originally posted by IronHorse:

I will say this though,I do know where 4 of the Awesome Pack are sleeping tonight and they will never be treated like a disposable commodity again for as long as they live.

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

That was once for each of the dogs. And bless you, IronHorse! Consider yourself duly hugged!

Originally posted by IronHorse:

God bless you! I didn't want to start off the day with a good cry but it's a GOOD cry for these four and a miserable one for ALL the dogs that suffer for reasons of greed, selfishness, or ignorance.

And God bless all you good folks who take your time, effort, emotion, and money (yes, I know it isn't free) to rescue! We often talk about how great rescue dogs are, etc., but we don't always acknowledge how great the rescue folks and organizations are. My hat is off to you all!

Friends of MKBCR have also purchased from the MDA 12 of the Awesome dogs. We can only keep our fingers crossed that the remaining dogs will be kept safe and well taken care of.

Jen/Ironhorse...

Do you know whether they are all sold at this point, or do we need to keep looking for people to purchase them? What about the bitch and new puppies?

Jennifer, Great to hear about the 12 that were purchased by people you know will take good care of them.

THANK YOU

At this time I have no information as to where the bitch (Shelby) and her litter have gone

Friends of MKBCR have also purchased from the MDA 12 of the Awesome dogs. We can only keep our fingers crossed that the remaining dogs will be kept safe and well taken care of.

Hip hip hooray!!!!! X 12 (I'd copy and paste but people might get bored reading that many *LOL*)

Jennifer and IronHorse have managed to help save 40% of these dogs from an uncertain fate, and if that's not a huge accomplishment, I don't know what is!

I am so GLAD to here that... I wanted to go buy some so badly, but I am so close to Rocky Comfort, and volunteering with the Humane Society and doing private rescue, PLUS knowing the mill people involved,and having issues with them, knew darn well, they wouldn't let me near there... Thanks so much to all the people that have helped these dogs... I will have a better day today, because of it and if I can help anyone please let me know...

My cousin in Missouri is one of the individuals who adopted one of Ms. Thomas' dogs. When he went to the site he reported that the dogs were running freely, some of them, others were in pens without food or water. It was a sad situation. He also said the dogs looked thin and were not attended to. There was only one person there. and the dogs were barking for attention.

He knows Ms. Thomas personally and it was she who asked him to go and adopt one of the dogs because he had previously contacted her about buying one of her well bred stock dogs for his cattle but they had not yet consummated the deal. Naturally, he jumped at it. He was, as I explained previously, aghast at the situation. He had seen Ms. Thomas' operation, and although Ms. Thomas lives way out in the "boonies" as he says, she keeps her pens clean and takes good care of her dogs.

Now, as I understand there is a conflict going on between Ironhorse and Ms. Thomas over some money owed and some dogs death. I guess Ironhorse wants to be paid for some puppies being sold since he owns the website and won't give back some camera of Ms. Thomas'. But, it seems to me if Ironhorse owns the website that Ms. Thomas' was selling puppies on, isn't he brokering puppies? Just seems like Ms. Thomas is being criticized so much for doing so much wrong, what about him?

My cousin also said maybe since all this happened when Ms. Thomas was so sick that she was taken advantage of and wasn't able to make the right decisions at the time. He knows she had no family or friends in the area and she had moved away and was "hiding" from an abusive ex-husband. It seems to me someone should have offered to help Miss Thomas instead of just helping the dogs. :rolleyes:

Oh boy. Not knowing the entire story on this whole situation I can only say that if Ms. Thomas actually "keeps her pens clean and takes good care of her dogs" that this never would have happened.

I've never seen anyone freely advertise their name, address, cell phone and home phone number on so many web sites when one was "hiding form an abusive ex-husband."

Denise

Maybe hiding was the wrong word. My cousin said she has an ex parte on him and was just trying to get away from his vicinity.

And the way I understood it the dogs weren't taken away because of the conditions, it was because she had too many according to Missouri State Laws.

There was a dead, bloated dog in the yard that had been there for a while! I think that's a sign that something isn't right!

Regardless of IronHorse or anyone else, the fact is that this woman was not caring for the dogs! If pointing the finger at someone else makes you or anyone else feel better, by all means do so, but a dead, bloated dog laying around the yard for days is nothing to take lightly!

I may be wrong, but I think if she was licensed she could have all the dogs she wanted, but the state probably wouldn't have taken them if they WERE cared for right.... She apparently couldn;t care for them anymore and therefore signed them over to the state, which in normal stances, I believe give the party 30 days to clean things up if she had wanted to keep them.. I think for the time being, due to her health she probably did the right thing... You said the dogs were thin... That dosen't happen in a day or two.. Does anyone know if they all got homes or if any are left??

Yes we know that she apparently cleans up when she is expecting company and a surprise vist has uncovered neglect to the extent of a fatality.

And if Ms. Thomas doesn't own stock to prove her dogs then your cousin is buying a dog that may or may not take to stock and if it does it may or may not have the physical ability to do the job day in and out for many years. Maybe for $30 that's an ok gamble but if the dog won't herd what will your cousin do with that dog? Does your cousin know how to properly train & test a sheepdog? Or will he expect the pup to go to work without instruction? There is alot to be said for paying good money for a dog has already had training.

We have soundly determined that those dogs are NOT properly bred for these reasons. If everything were hunky dory at Shere's house, the state would not have taken her dogs!!!

I'm not saying that Ms. Thomas doesn't need help - if she does she should go get it. There are plenty of social programs that we pay for as tax payers that will help her out without euthanizing her. The dogs have only this small caring voice with it's many little hands all across the country.

The greater the number of unneutered dogs that are passed into the public's hands the greater the chances are of dogs being bred to death or dead from neglect or otherwise abused just because idiots want to make money. Shere's situation wasn't an unusual one to find and that is what is sad.

Ironhorse can control what happens to the few dogs that are in his possession. He has learned tough lessons and we are certainly hopeful that he will do right by these dogs and Border Collies as a breed.

He owned the domain. Period. If you want to maintain a web site you have to pay for it. If you are dumb enough to let someone register your domain in their name (which is perfectly legal) then shame on you. You pay for your site monthly or it goes bye bye.

The camera: is hearsay.

The argument over the death of a neglected dog that HE had to bury is a valid one! Somebody had to argue for that poor soul.

What happened was just. If you are sick and neglect your children then the state will take them too! Responsible people make alternative arrangements.

Your version of her side of the story leaks like a siv. Doesn't hold water with me at all.

Maybe hiding wasn't the right word. Ms. Thomas told my cousin she has an ex parte on her husband and wanted to be far from his vicinity.

And as far as I know the only reason she lost her dogs is because she had too many according to Missouri State Laws. Well, other than the fact that she was extremely sick and no one would give her a hand. I guess she even called Ironhorse and he wouldn't return her calls.

Bull DUNG! The puppy mill capitol of the US MO would have made her apply for a license and would have given all kids of wavers and extensions. All she had to do was agree to give the state it's cut of the money. She could have kept those dogs. Besides, dog limits are decided by county and city governments all across this country. If she's in the boonies and is zoned for livestock then she can probably have as many as she wants.

If I were you, I'd ask the state what happened vs. taking Ms. Thomas as her word. She has showed others that she is not mentally "together". People in that state of mind cannot be trusted to speak the truth. Having been investigated before myself for animal cruelty that was found unfounded during a surprise visit, and owning more than the allowable amount of domestic animals for my municipality (of course I was only 1 dog over the limit, not 35), I can tell you that if you are caring for the animals that the authorities bend over backwards to help you out. If you have even a shaky leg to stand on in court, they won't fool with you.

I'm sure the report is public record, just like a police report. Look for yourself.