BC Boards

Kip's Having Puppies...

Aerie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. I don't know what to say... I am choked up right now.

I was re-reading your other post about Kip's past. What a life she had.

I've recently begun fostering (we aren't sure yet if we'll be her forever home) a little girl BC that has been through a bit of an ordeal. She was born and raised on a working farm in Mississippi. From what I understand she'll work all day and give her best and is really just a great/useful working dog. Without her, her 80 year old farmer/owner wouldn't have been able to keep his farm as long as he did. He finally sold off his last cattle and died a year later. Kip and three others were left "homeless" in a sense. (Long story, there..the man left them to his daughter, but she's since become physically unable to care for even herself.) The son ended up with the dogs, then another couple, and finally she was "stolen" by another person. Lots of legalities and nonsense later, she's been released free and clear. House1(son) and House2(first couple) basically starved the poor girl. House1 just didn't bother feeding her, and House2 fed her nothing but the grain they give their cattle. House2 said she wouldn't leave their cows alone, chained her, etc etc etc...usual stupid abuse story. House3(second couple) stole the dog off the chain. They took her to the vet and were honestly giving it a shot but...eh. Apparently at some point during the last week, their working dog (BC) introduced himself to Kip in a rather friendly way. I wasn't informed of this part till today, but...I'll just not say mean things about people.

Oh Aeire, that's just dreadful. Words just can't express... I have so much admiration for your herculean efforts and your desire to help this little girl. I can only hope that your despair and anger will be mitigated by the joy of seeing her pups thrive.

Oh Aerie...I truly am sorry that Kip lost her precious life. It's not any consolation, I know, but look at the gifts she entrusted you with. At least she left you a part of her behind.

She was loved by you and knew it. I'm so very truly sorry!

Aerie, I am so sorry. I've just been catching up on Kip's birth process and then got to this post. At least she went to the bridge knowing she was loved at the end.

I wish you the best looking after the orphan pups. Even with a healthy mother, puppies are a huge amount of work for responsible owners. I'm sure her sweet soul will come through in her puppies.

Deanna in OR

I'm so sorry to hear about Kip. You have a lot of work ahead of you, but I'm sure you'll be a wonderful foster mom. Have you considered keeping a diary. I think it would be wonderful to be able to show people what can happen when dogs are bred and what can go wrong.

I am so sad to read this. I'm sitting here and the screen is blurry because the tears are rolling down my cheeks :rolleyes: . I am so so sorry that Kip was brought into the world with such a horrid start. You gave her the best life she could have known and I am sure a little piece of her will live on in each othe puppies. *hugs to you*

Bless you Aerie and bless poor little Kip's heart. I guess she gave every bit of reserve she had to those pups and didn't have the strength to go on. It didn't have to be this way for Kip, but for the callousness of humans. At least she had a loving home and knew your kindness for these last couple of months. Good luck with the pups--this whole story just makes me so sad.

J.

I've been offline pretty much the last week and just got to this. I'm simply horrified and shocked for your loss.

You've got a tough row to hoe ahead of you with six orphans - God speed and you know we'll do whatever is possible to help.

I'm so sorry Kip, may you be watch over your little ones from up high. Aerie, (((((HUGS)))) you have a tuff job ahead and little to know time for grieving. I wish you lived close to me, I would be happy to help nurse and stimulate the pups. I've done it with kittens, so I know the job ahead of you. I'll keep ya'll in my prayers. Rest when you can. May all the pups have Kip's spirit ~she gave her all and didn't stop till the job was done. Pardon the tears on my keyboard.

Aerie, I am so sorry that Kip couldn't stay with you and her pups. She sounded like a real big hearted lass. Thank you for loving Kip and now her pups. I am glad that she knew what real love was before leaving for the bridge.

Aerie - I'm so sorry for the loss of your Kip. May I suggest you talk to your vet about the possibility of him showing you how to tube feed the pups (much more efficient than bottle feeding), and/or looking for a "surrogate mom" for them - maybe a bitch that has recently lost or weaned her pups and still has milk. I doesn't matter what breed, as long as she accepts them... (recently helped a friend find a surrogate mother for a rough collie pup whose mom rejected her and killed the rest of the litter- my friend ended up finding her a Whippet mom that raised the collie with the rest of her litter just fine.

First of all, I have to say thank you all for your kind words. You've no idea how much your support means.

Laurie - the vet and I discussed tube feeding today. For now, I'm doing the bottle thing just because it's easier to do while i'm answering the phones at work. If they gain weight steadily, I'll stick with that, but if they aren't thriving i'll switch immediately. Also - I've got every vet in the city on the lookout for a surrogate mommy. I was amazed - 8 vets and none new of any lactating lovelies? Geez.

So far, the puppies are doing fine. They each gained at least an ounce, and THANKFULLY they got the first milk from Kip. Sweetheart that she is, she stuck around till she gave them the best of what she could.

I'll keep you all updated as the days go by - and I'm sure i'll be popping on here to beg for help at some point.

And now, I'm off again to feed puppies.

I am SO glad my boss is understanding. Think she'll let me take a nap tomorrow?

I am so very, very sorry to hear about Kip. Bless you, Aerie, for taking her in and making her last weeks on this earth memorable for the love and caring you gave her. I'm crying right now because this was one of those stories that was supposed to have an "and they lived happily ever after" ending. *sniff*

R.I.P., Kip. And Aerie, bless you again for your kind heart and what you did for Kip, and for now taking care of her pups.

Coming in late from the other side of the world to add my blessings on you, Aerie for giving poor little Kip the chance to know that there are good dog-loving humans in the world. What a shame she didn?t make it ? but you sure gave her the very best chance ? as you?re now doing for her kids. Good luck to you.