BC Boards

Where did everyone get their BCs?

(Jess)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Kinko and Brusier were purchased from a working farm with cattle. The sire was a given to these people. He had been trained as a police dog but was to nervous/aggressive and things did not work out for him, He is a wonderful farm dog though. I think this board would consider these pups from "backyard breeders" but I am sure glad they had these pups as I wouldn't trade them for the world. When we first started looking for a pup I had no idea there was such a thing as a bc rescue. My husband and I did do petfinders but we could not find the right kind of dog for us. After reading so much on this post I will probably do rescue next time.

My first BC was a gift, and that clenched the breed for me :rolleyes: . The next two were from a breeder of working dogs, came home with two instead of just one. Rescued the BC/Heeler mix from a friend who was going to take her to the pound because she had never been traind not to jump on people :mad: . My Greyhound came from the blood donor program at the vet school and I adopted her when her tour of duty was over. I would opt rescue over breeders. But I wanted a dog from a working stock as I intended to do the trialing/sheep related events. But life took a different turn and because of money and other un planned events it has not happened.

If my circumstances stay the same I will opt for rescue when I get another dog. If things change I may investigate a started dog. But only after I have proven to my self I can do the dog, the breed and the events justice.

Andrea D.

My Scoutie girl came from a shelter. A friend of myn who works with a dog rescue group told me about a litter of bc/mix pups that arrived at the shelter. We went-fell in love with a silly little pup and the rest is history. The vet says that he sees nothing but BC in her. She acts and looks like a pure BC. I'm a mutt person myself so I could care less if she is a pure breed. We just love her.

Nik (GSD mix) spent 7 months in a shelter before I found him.

Sasha was dumped in an industrial part of town and found by our neighbors. She was about 6 weeks old, and had 15 big ticks on her. Husband insisted we keep her. We think she's a BC/chow blend, but Lord only knows what else is in there.

Sassy (Irish setter/lab) was an urgent rehome. Her prior owners (down the street) had let her out, and let her be picked up by animal control. Another neighbor (we have great dog-loving neighbors) recognized her and got her out. Family said that they didn't want her back. Rescuing neighbor calls in tears not knowing what to do. We agree to home her temporarily. Darned husband falls in love with her. That was last year.

Those are the dogs. The 2 cats came from the humane society. And the lizard (yes, there's now a lizard :rolleyes: ) was also inadvertantly rescued from her prior owner after she wouldn't eat what he fed his iguanas, and he tried to return her to the pet store. Husband who happened to witness the exchange stepped in when the guy said he'd just take her home and let her starve to death.

So that's it. I am trying to get through to husband that the ark is full, but he's a pushover when it comes to a sad story.

We got Renzo (4) from a rescue organization that was doing "adoption day" three years ago. We were there to buy cat food for our strictly cat only house....

We bought Pippin (1.5) from a working/sporting breeder in Ontario. We wanted to raise a puppy from scratch and hoped for one who would like to play flyball and agility.

We got Tansy (4.5) from Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue a month ago. She'd been bought as a six week old puppy and left in an outdoor pen from that point on. Had never been in a house before last December. She's doing GREAT!!

All three cats are "rescues"

Wow, Sasha'sMom , I think you got the husband I was supposed to have. Mine would get upset about the lizard, but he wouldn't bring it home.

Wanna trade?

Maybe not today. He's been good today. But I have to say that, as the years go on, there are more days when I'm ready to call Independent Pet Rescue and see if I can trade him for a young cat. Or just offer him "free to a good home".

we bought our 1st Ryder from a backyard breeder and I was glad to get one because of the breeders that wont let them go unless you work them on stock you cant convince me Ryder isnt as happy here and looked after as he would be working stock we do have 8 cows but I decided to obedience train him first and I am showing him in agility the pup I am waiting for is from a breeder and is a merle I show obedience and agility and I also have a aussie and they all live in our house with our other dogs boxer, afghan hound and bluetick hound

Levi was purchased from what I later learned to be an irresponsible breeder - who ironically bred me a wonderful dog.

Shy was a private rescue, but had been bred from awesome working lines.

Trip I purchased as a trained trial dog - he is perfect.

Jet was purchased last year as a puppy from awesome working lines from a responsible breeder & will start training soon to trial.

Abby is an offspring of Shy and is currently running nursery level.

Gismo was found on the side of the road.

Sasha, my GSD, was purchased last Christmas as a puppy for me by my son, who wanted me to have a security dog on my trial travels and stay at hotels.

I know my Ark is full! when you add in the sheep and 13 barn cats that seem to keep showing up (I have probably spayed several neighbors cats who showed up here to eat to avoid having kittens in the barn).

"Maybe not today. He's been good today. But I have to say that, as the years go on, there are more days when I'm ready to call Independent Pet Rescue and see if I can trade him for a young cat. Or just offer him "free to a good home".

ROFL.. I am right there with you Nancy.. Mine is always griping.. you cant save the world you know..

My first BC came from my vet. She had been given up for adoption, allergies. My second came from a breeder since I was looking for a tri color just like my first. I am now looking for a third. It will prob. come from the same breeder since I already know the background of all of his dogs but..I did specify to him that this time I would like one that would be very unlikely to be sold (a handicaped dog). I dont believe having an animal put down just because it is different.

My Hobbes came from a breeder out of town on a farm who did actually work his dogs. From reading the posts here I guess he'd be labelled an irresponsible backyard breeder but that doesn't mean a thing to my dog. I certainly wouldn't do it the same way again but we didn't know it at the time. I don't believe there's a rescue in my area anyway. There is an animal shelter but we didn't go that route. In the end I guess we sort of "rescued" our Hobbes anyway.

I got Jack on the side of the road when he was 9 weeks old, and Kavin came from the Humane Society/animal shelter in Atlanta...I saw his picture on the web site and fell in love with his smile, though when I went to meet him he just looked depressed and withdrawn. It took a while to get that smile out of him, but it is happening more and more. He was at the shelter for a month and went on the PetSmart dog adoption trips but no one wanted him. Because he is an adult I am sure.

I got Jack on the side of the road when he was 9 weeks old, and Kavin came from the Humane Society/animal shelter in Atlanta...I saw his picture on the web site and fell in love with his smile, though when I went to meet him he just looked depressed and withdrawn. It took a while to get that smile out of him, but it is happening more and more. He was at the shelter for a month and went on the PetSmart dog adoption trips but no one wanted him. Because he is an adult I am sure.

Hi,

I did not get my girl Delta from rescue but I was her 6th "rehome" She was born on a ranch and was initially sold to a ranch. Somehow she made it from Kansas to NC (home hopping) until she ended up with me. My girl Buffy was purchased from a breeder who did not allow me to pick my pup but matched us up and did a great job. BTW, when I bred shelties, I sold my pups but they went with contracts, and my screening process was just as rigorus as my screening process for rescue. I never made enough money to recoup my expenses (which is fine- I bred for myself, not money). I kept my pups until they were at least 5 months old and spayed/neutered them before they left my house. I would take any dog back today and even pay the airfare if necessary (in my contract). Most would say I went too far but I have to live with what is my sense of responsibility. I quit breeding and only rescue now with practically the same contract. My newest girl Phoenix I got from the pound thinking she was a BC mix to rescue and rehome but she is altogether a different breed of dog- She looks very much like Boyden and is a PB English Shepherd-they are related breeds though. If Boyden's mom is interested, I can pass you a few URLs. Here is Phoenix' pic on dogster- I am making pages for my other kids this weekend : )

Annette, Delta, Buffy, Indy (Sheltie

Phoenix

http://www.dogster.com/?123712

Phoenix looks very much like Boyden. Y'all should look at her Dogster page. Spittin' image.

Annette emailed me today with pics of her dog and it seems that Boyden may indeed be an English Shepherd. I've been looking at ES pics online and some of them could pass for a BC easily.

But then I wouldn't be able to post on the BC board anymore. :D

Unless I got a BC too. :rolleyes:

I was just reading some of your posts Annette. Nice to meet you! I'll write you back later.

Molli came from a breeder about 2 hours away. I told him I wanted a female and he met me halfway with both remaining female puppies and I selected Molli. I've always wondered where the other pups ended up, though, because he made reference to having sold one of the males to someone who worked near here. Because Molli seems like she's on sensory overload so much of the time, I wonder about the disposition/personalities of her littermates....

Nellie came from a rescue in MO. We started looking for puppys when our previous BC passed in June last year. But when I happened on the rescue website, there was just something about her picture that made feel that we needed to go get her. Didn't know if they would adopt to someone 12 hours away but everything turned out fine and we now have one of the most neurotic dogs I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! :rolleyes: