BC Boards

Border Foxes

SoloRiver

Melanie,

I would love a copy of the article if it is possible. I haven't heard anything about this project in a couple of years. Interesting that the "tamer" the foxes get the more they look like dogs, same color patterns and the structure changes as well.

Olivia

Um, no dogs were bred from foxes. Foxes are an entirely different species that are not interfertile with wolves.

How about I send the pdf to one person, and that person sends it to the next person, and so on.

leave it to the Russians to come up with a new breed for agility
The Russians have been doing some strange things. They were, not that long ago, crossing jackals with laika's, to produce the ultimate bomb sniffing dog. I'll have to find a link to the article. This was in the '90's.

And I'd love a copy of the article too.

Thanks.

Vicki

Yes, Denise, please, but only if it won't get you in trouble copyright-wise (that no doubt being the reason Melanie doesn't want to send it out to everyone and anyone--no one wants to get on the wrong side of the copyright police, well, unless you live in China, in which case intellectual property rights don't mean squat)....

J.

Um...well...does it say you can't distribute it? If so, then I probably shouldn't post it.

However, the page I would post it on would be for the folks on these boards only. Not open to the "public" (as in not listed ona search engine, etc).

As soon as somone sends me the pdf I'll post it and put the link here.

Denise

Oh, that's a hilarious idea.

The Border Fox

BACKGROUND:

The origins of the Border Fox are lost in the mists of time . . .

[sidebar: all the origins of practical dogs are "lost in the mists of time" to hide the fact that they were once bred using a standard other than breed ring competition]

but it is certain that it is a true northern breed, with its weather resisant coat and large upright ears. Legend has it that it was a guard dog for Russian chicken coops. Certainly there is substantial literary evidence linking the Border Fox and "chicken houses."

GENERAL APPEARANCE

The Border Fox is the world's premier chicken-guarding dog, and any characteristic that would appear to deviate from that purpose should be severely faulted. Because foxes are associated most strongly with chickes, the Border Fox must present, above all, a foxlike appearance, well balanced with a flowing trot that suggests the ability to cover ground to patrol the chicken yard and meet predators. Primary importance is given to an alert expression to indicate watchfulness, and a gentle soft eye to prevent frightening the pullets.

HEAD

Clean cut and fox-like. Longer from occiput to tip of nose than broad at widest part of skull in a ratio of 7:4. More refined with less coat or ruff in females than in males, but still in the same ratio. A muscular or coarse head, or a long or narrow head with snipy muzzle, is to be penalized as deviating from the desired foxlike appearance.

EXPRESSION

Watchful yet nurturing. Any hardness of expression is to be penalized, as is any lack of alertness indicating a dog not suitable for guarding work.

EYES

Almond shaped with fully pigmented rims. Alertness and gentleness should be conveyed by a dark eye. Blue or light eyes should be penalized as not desireable in a guardian dog.

EARS

Set high and alertly. Can tip slightly but erect is prefered to convey the desired alert expression.

NOSE/LIPS/STOP/ etc [You get the picture]