BC Boards

Informal Registration Poll

blackacre

Hey, I'm curious. How many people who post here have ABCA (or CBCA) registered dogs? AKC? Dual registered? Other? I'm not interested in bashing anyone, I just wonder about it in light of recent changes to the ABCA policies regarding de-registration of conformation champions etc.

I have: 1 ABCA/CBCA, 1 ABCA and 1 NAAKR.

A.

Guest Wolverine

Annie is ABCA-registered. Whereas she is a companion dog, and will not be bred, I saw no reason to register her with any other organizations; even the ABCA registration was at the request of the breeder. Missy is a BC/Belgian Shepherd cross-breed, and thus is not registered anywhere except in our hearts.

The two purebred Border Collie pups we have gotten were both registered ABCA.

Our little adopted bitch is not registered although I have a copy of her littermate sister's ABCA papers so I know her lineage. I have had problems getting the required paperwork to register her. Since my dogs are neutered, I've decided to not bother pursuing her papers.

Any dog I will get in the future will be ABCA (or CBCA) or non-registered (if adopted).

Just a note: I was at the vets' one day and saw an "ad" on their counter for Border Collie pups, registered Continental Kennel Club. I commented that that was (in my opinion - you can make your own decision about that) a useless registry for backyard breeders and puppy mills. Nothing was said but when I was back just shortly after, the paper was gone! We have great vets!

As I said earlier, I have registered with NASDS since the early 1970s, just made me remember that at that time, the NASDS still required every second generation to be work certified in order to register the third generation, and when we went to look at Kerri's litter, the guy was out there certifying her parents.

i.e. Kerri's grandparents were registered with NASDS so Kerri's parents were automatically eligible to be registered with NASDS, but in order for Kerri and her littermates to be registered, Kerri's dam and sire had to be certified by a representative of NASDS

Anyone else remember this?

Hi, A! Where you been? How was your son's debut? I think that's very exciting! (Former music major here.)

I think Jake is AIBC. Rip is ABCA and AKC. I bought him at age 6, and that's the way he came to me. Cap and Doc are ABCA only. Dhu is ABCA and CBCA. You know why.

Samantha is North American Sheepdog Registry, I'd never really paid any attention to it. Just looked it up and it's headquartered in Illinois, I believe.

Shoshone was, ahem, 'liberated' from her abusive owner by the guy's girlfriend. At least that's the story I got from the rescue. No papers of any kind for her or Buzz, who came to us from the county animal shelter - he was an owner surrender.

Ruth

Hey Joan,

Lucas was brilliant, thanks for asking! They (The Cleveland Bach Consort) are putting together another concert for April and his flute teacher (principal flute CSO) and the CIM Artist in Residence have asked to play with them.

So to my informal poll results to date: mostly ABCA registered, about half work stock.

As owners of ABCA registered dogs, do you think the ABCA should be in the business of restricting registration in any way? Or should it stick to its primary role of 'registering, maintaining and verifying the pedigrees of border collies . . .' ? Does the answer depend on whether you work your dogs on stock or not?

Amazingly enough, my current thinking is that the ABCA should stick to its knitting and get out of the business of making value judgements about what gets registered. Yikes!

A.

I have 4 ABCA, 2 CBCA, and 1 ISDS.

I'm just curious, why do people register their CBCA and ISDS dogs with the ABCA? I can't see any reason for it, but it seems like most people (in the US anyway) do.

At this point, I lean towards thinking the ABCA should just be a record keeping organization.

Marie

Four going on five ABCA registered dogs. All work except the pup obviously, though she is destined that way.

I believe it IS the business of the ABCA to say who gets in the studbook and who doesn't. Otherwise it would be like the CKC or other puppy mill oriented pedigree service - no certification of matings, no paperwork standards, no worries about falsified pedigrees or transfers. What good would such a registry be to us then?

Likewise, if we think the ABCA's mission is to protect the working breed and keep the conformation-oriented philosophy from creeping in and changing the culture - well, I personally think we're "on track" as the political pollsters like to say. Recent decisions are a good direction - not to say sufficiency has been achieved to maintain that mission - but that's a discussion for another day.

As I said earlier, I have registered with NASDS since the early 1970s, just made me remember that at that time, the NASDS still required every second generation to be work certified in order to register the third generation, and when we went to look at Kerri's litter, the guy was out there certifying her parents.
Northof49,

I was not aware of NASDA ever doing that. I didn't get into BC's till the nineties. I've had several dogs registered with them. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that they ever did that and hope they can figure out a way to do it again. How was the certification done?

I?ve heard that they have been disorganized in the past few years and are in the reorganizing stage right now.

I wonder if registering dogs with them would be better as they are not as big of a threat to AKC so are not on the AKC chopping block. If they reinstated some kind of certification program, it might help keep the working dogs strong and separate.

BTW

Presently I have

1 NASDS- purchased from one of the old officers of the NASDA

3 ABCA- purchased from reputable open dog handlers/occasional breeders

2 AIBC- Rescue and BYB, bought before I knew better. The rescue is her littermate bro who came to us after 7 other homes at 18 months)

Question for all?

If you could register your dogs where you wanted, where would you prefer to have them registered? I'm not fishing for crap about the AKC but opinions on the rest of the registries

Stay Warm

Kristen

Most of mine are ABCA, Dolly is AIBC, Flick and Bay are NASDS and Pete who just passed away, was my first NASDS dog. He was ROM'd by them-----a working evaluation and critique done by a well-known handler. (I'm not using the term "well-known" in an attempt to impress anyone. The person doing the critique had to be someone approved by NASDS, so I happened to ask someone who is well known as a working sheepdog handler.) A written critique had to be submitted along with a video of the dog working.

When I first got Pete, I ILP'd him. I didn't know any better in those days. I learned a lot through and because of that dog.

Vicki

Guest Wolverine
If you could register your dogs where you wanted, where would you prefer to have them registered?
Just a matter of personal preference, but for a Border Collie I would probably choose to support ABCA. From what I learned about the organization, they seem dedicated to preserving the true heritage of the BC as a working dog. This does not mean that I intend to work Annie, beyond that level that would be pure enjoyment for her; after all, she is a member of our family as a companion, and for no other specific purpose. But I understand the motivation and desires of the purists, and I support their intent. The prior purebreeds I acquired from breeders have all been AKC registered, as they all came from conformance bloodlines (the "purebreeds" that came from rescue operations are obviously a different story); but a Border Collie is an entirely different situation.

Keegan's Mom,

Hi, the lifetime fee is just for the membership fee: instead of paying $10 a year for each year you're a member, you can pay a one time fee of $100 and never have to pay a membership fee or mess with renewing your membership again. You still have to pay registration fees for new dogs registered though, or else the ABCA would be losing a lot of money, lol. :rolleyes:

I have had all kinds of dogs mostly all americans. However at this tim I have 4 dogs. alab --Akc

Aussie ---ASCA /Akc

BC female Akc

Tri BC ABCA.

If Iwas looking for another lab I would go back to the breeder Because her dogs Know there job. another aussie .The same . my Akc BC sweat dog and tries hard Would not go back,

My ABCA BC nice dog is a worker would go back to breeder. So at this time in my life the reg. is less important to me then the quility of the dog.If the dog can do its job and is healthy thats the point!Let it do its job. Not all Akc REG dogs are breed for the show ring some can do a job. Iknow many AKC labs that are fine hunters. Cant say that about working BCs I don't know any. bob