BC Boards

Another informal poll: where do your dogs live, kennel, house or other?

Well since I live in an apartment, my dogs obviously live in it with me. They have their own room, the spare bedroom, where they stay during the day when we are not home. This ensures the cats are safe, as well as our furniture, which they are not permitted to be on (or at least, they are not permitted to be on it when Mr. RDM is home)(*insert evil grin here*)

At night they sleep in crates in their room. They used to have their own futon, but Tweed has a sleep disorder and unless he is in a covered crate isolated by several feet from the other dogs, he wakes up barking every 40 minutes or so.

I used to live in a house but our neighbor was insane (the first clue to this might have been when our other neighbors referred to him as "Crazy Bob") so the dogs were never allowed outside by themselves anyway. Plus if you let them outside by themselves they just stood at the door and asked to come back in. One day we'll have a yard and teach them how to play in it without me.

RDM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my dogs have always been inside dogs; and my roommate has 2 inside dogs too. Wick is a top agility and flyball dog (we're still working on herding) and sleeps in the bed. Funny thing is I used to be really allergic to dogs many years ago when I was initially tested. I was allergy tested again recently and had very little reaction to "dog". :rolleyes: So it pays to be immersed in your allergens. Even recent studies have shown it's good for kids to grow up with dogs in the house to be exposed to that pet dander allergen.

-Laura

We've tried having one sleep in bed with us, but one of us (not the dog) ends up not sleep well. Once I leave Renee will have Starr in bed with her.

Whether or not having trial dogs in the house (vs. kennel) or in bed affects their performance (i.e. obedience) on the trial field depends upon their personality. Some dogs are the type that if given an inch will take a mile; these are the ones that may do better kenneled. Many dogs are not like this and will be fine in the house or in the bed.

BTW, we're unlikely to have dogs in our bed anymore. I've restarted allergy shots and tested positive to dogs among a few other things (big surprise). Since the dogs won't be leaving, we'll just have to reduce my exposure some (none in bed).

Mark

Our two live in the house but have free access to a huge backyard. They drape themselves on my furniture and sleep with us in bed. If I wake in the night and they are not there, I get up searching for them. Their crates are in the livingroom, doors open and they will go there on their own for a break.

All of ours live inside. The cats because we moved to a place that backs up to a busy street, they wouldn't survive very long at all. The dogs because I like having them inside with me.

Sleeping arrangements - Sammi has never liked sleeping with me, even when she was an only dog. She'll be up on the bed for a minute or 2, get a belly rub, and then off she goes to her corner. Shoshone got possesive of the bed, so she got trained to sleep on the floor also. Buzz sleeps curled up against my back most nights.

The cats, poor babies, have been banned from my room at night. They had wrestling matches on top of me at 4 am, whined at me to let them under the covers, and would fight over who got sleep on my face. Much more peaceful without them.

Ruth n the Border Trio

My two boys are very gracious, in that they allow me and Mrs S to stay in the house with them - after all, someone has to prepare the food and light the stove.

If we are very lucky and have been very, very good, they allow us occasional use of the sofa, but we are aware that this is a privilege and not something that we are to expect every day.

Another thing the Boys find handy about allowing us in the house is that they don't have to shout so loudly to summon a chauffeur to take them to the beach, or to get their personal butler to fetch a biscuit.

All in all, they find it a suitable enough arrangement.

Snorri

:rolleyes:

I have a micro home, until the spring when I'm adding on another room. Ok so I'm really adding another house cause mine is so small :D . The cats are inside because I live close to a highway, even though I live in the country they would be road pizza in no time. The dogs are in and out, I sort or rotate them,all of them in are a bit much. Usualy two of them are on the bed with me, the Grey hound and one othe it switches off. She is almost 12 and arthritic so she gets the bed. The cats sleep any place they want on the bed on he couch etc.The dogs aren't allowed on the couch but know the bed is ok. Kai has worked sheep a few times, I don't think being on the bed has hindured his abilitys any :rolleyes: maybe more times out would help this LOL. The Greyhound can be posessive so I do banish her if she gets mouthy with the other dogs,or the cats.

The dogs would love to be outside during the day but I worry about my neighbors, and about someone taking them. I'm not sure they could because they are good watch dogs. But I don't want to take the chance.

Andrea D.

My three dogs and I live in a studio apartment with no yard. Skeeter usually sleeps on the bed, and Fly will sometimes. Solo, despite all of my efforts, refuses -- he will come up and say good night, but prefers to sleep on the couch or floor.

My three boys have their own bedroom. Their crates are in there as well as all of their gear. The only one who is closed in his crate is krazy, the newest. He still hasn't learned not to chew on everything. The other two are loose in the room with the crate doors open for napping in. All three are very much house dogs. But do love the time out side as well.

Our 2 are house dogs, with free doggy-door access to a dog run. They sleep in crates in our bedroom -- occasionally they get to sleep with us out of the crates, and if my husband is out of town, I like them on the bed with me as long as they will stay there. But they like their crates at night even if the doors are closed on them.

I know it's different with a larger pack or with working dogs (vs. companion dogs) but I never could understand the neighbors who got a dog, then kept it outside all the time, with little human interaction. Why even get a dog? (These weren't working dogs, in a suburban neighborhood).

Deanna in OR

Guest Wolverine

Missy and Annie are indoor dogs (as all our dogs have been); their time outdoors is limited to long walks, outdoor play time (as the weather permits), and occasional trips to a local park where ducks and geese reside. Neither dog is allowed outside at night, except for chaperoned walks, due to the local coyote problem. Both dogs sleep in our bedroom at night; Missy prefers a dog bed, while Annie sleeps in her "den" (cage).

We have 2 dogs! One is a shih tzu cross we got from a rescue and she stays in the house 90% of the time. If we go some where she is crated in the garage next to an inside kennel for our 5 year old Border Collie. She is crated when we are not home because she likes to hunt down our 2 cats and terrorizes them.

The Border Collie has a 4x4 kennel in the garage but has access to a open area outside roughly 50 feet by 75 feet to go out in. He usually stays in the garage all the time untill winter and when the garage goes below 40 degrees he will come in and stay in the kitchen. In the summer if we are at our cottage on Lake Ontario he lives in the cottage with us.

Bruce

The Aussie sleeps on the floor or dog bed - too big and too hairy (and often, too dirty) to sleep in the bed or get on the furniture.

The two Border Collies sleep where they choose - bed, floor, or dog bed. Of course, they are used to being hosed before they come in, with cold water year round if they are dirty, and getting a nice rub-down with a towel.

The cats are indside/outside. The rabbit is a house rabbit and lives in a cage with supervised free run in the family room.

The horses, pony, cows, and bull live outside, of course. However, if my hubby had his way, old Babe the cow would have an addition on our house so she could watch TV with us. Since we hardly watch TV any more, I think he just wants her to be able to join us for our Friday night "date" - a video and chili. Trust me, he's serious about this. I think three's a crowd. Unless it's Border Collies!

I have three dogs Cody (Golden retriever) 2yrs, Kailee (BC) 1yr, Jasper(Min eskie) 16 wks. All three are live inside except for potty breaks and play and exercise time. My recently departed other two Goldens were also inside dog. I am a firm believer that most breeds, if not all, were bred to do a task and to be companions. Therefore should always be with thier humans.

Both dogs are inside. They have a doggie door and will use it for potty purposes, but neither one will willingly stay out to play if I am home. During the night they sleep in their crate in our bedroom. I can handle either hubby or both dogs in the bed, but not hubby AND both dogs. If I allowed them on the bed at night I wouldn't sleep a wink. Oh, and hubby refuses to sleep in the crate, so I guess the dogs are just stuck. :rolleyes:

During the day while we are at work Ginger has the run of the house, and Bree is crated. Any time we are home they are free to roam inside, and go out as they please (for whatever that is worth).

Lily sleeps inside and spends about half of her time during the day inside and half outside, when it's not too cold. Outside, she runs around and plays, and chases the balls I throw for her. Inside, she has learned to lie down and play quietly with her chew toys.

Right now, she sleeps crated because she hasn't gotten to the point yet where I feel comfortable enough to leave her uncrated all night, she would probably chew on something. But she sleeps in our room with us, so she's fine with being in there. Once she's a little older, I'll allow her to sleep out of the crate.

During the day, when I am not working, Pacha my BC and Lucky my Boston terror have the run of the house, but under surpervision. Lucky will usually let out this almost silent growl to let Pacha know that it is time to push my patience to the limit. That is when I will usually let then run around for about half an hour or so and then its time out. They both go to lie down, Pacha on my bed and Lucky in her crate (her choice).

At night, they both usually sleep on the bed, Lucky next to me and Pacha at the foot of the bed.

When no one is home, Lucky will have the run of the house but Pacha is always crated. I do not even have to tell her. This is her choice we never forced her to use it. I guess that she feels more secure in the crate, since it is covered with a blanket to make it feel more like a den than a crate. I have never been a fan of crating but it is working well with her.

My dogs are inside dogs. Had some dogs stolen in the neighborhood, and one of them was our boston terrier. My dogs will NOT be outside without one of us with them. Call me paranoid - I don't care... better safe than sorry.

Besides, they are my children. And, if they weren't in here, half the time I wouldn't have anyone to talk to, wait by the door for me, or snuggle with when hubby is busy with something else.

My seven dogs and my housemate's two dogs all live in the house. My dogs are allowed out in their yard when I am home, but do not stay outside when no one is home (risk of theft is too great).

The six cats and the lovebird are competely indoor animals (except for the occasional escape by JellyBean, who loves to be outdoors but can't be because of safety issues). The chickens and goats of course live outdoors.

In answer to Christine's question, I won't comment on my own success or lack thereof on the trial field, but any or all of my dogs are allowed on the bed if they choose to be there (except for Farleigh who generally sleeps in a crate at night, by choice). Usually only one will stay there (because the cats like to be there too--which means Kat the dog won't stay on the bed because she's scared of the felines) and that's usually Twist, but only in cold weather. Since there is no a/c in the farmhouse and I'm on the second floor, no one is too inclined to join me in bed during the hotter months. Jill will get on the bed only if Moses the kitten is there so she can stare at (and poke at) him until he attacks her. The attack, which always comes after a poke or two from Jill still always seems to surprise her....

Sam, I thought Buff the STAR DOG was moving into the house?!?!?

J.