BC Boards

Flying your dog

StillTerry

I have never flown my dogs before so I am a little naive or ignorant about flying them. All of us know the story of Dale who became deaf from his flight from the U.K.

I am planning on flying my pup to the trainer.

Is there a difference in the noise level if I fly him as excess baggage with the trainer?

Yes, A., I am obsessing.

Yes, Jen he will be shuffling off to Buffalo or somewhere in Alberta.

Denise, Robin, Elaine and anyone that is not at the finals, please give me some questions to ask the airlines and your experience with flying.

Are there any pilots on this list?

Originally posted by StillTerry:

I have never flown my dogs before so I am a little naive or ignorant about flying them.

I have found that it works best if you take them to a hill with a bit of a downslope and a big cliff at the end. A faster lighter dog is a definite advantage and rough coats fly better than smooth because they have "feathers" on the backs of their legs.

I am planning on flying my pup to the trainer.

Is there a difference in the noise level if I fly him as excess baggage with the trainer?

There would more noise doing it this way because the trainer would be screaming curses at you the entire flight for flying him/her as excess baggage with the dog instead of first class where he/she belongs.

But seriously, it varies airline to airline. Room for pets as freight is limited on most flights (they need heated pressurized areas in the baggage compartment), and most airlines now have heat restrictions (won't fly animals if expected temp at either end expected to exceed 80F). Most require crates large enough for the animal to stand comfortably in and some way of supplying water during transport. Most airlines have a desk in their cargo department that deals with "specialized cargo" such as live animals so if you know the airline, give them a call. If the dog is going to Alberta, I think Air Canada's rates (assuming they stay in business) are pretty reasonable.

Hi Terry,

I have flown my dogs (with me) between Ontario and Alberta and B.C. quite a bit over the last 14 years. I have flown on both WestJet and Air Canada. My experiences have been really good. (Although my Dad's dog once went to Ottawa instead of Toronto)... My experiience has been that WestJet has been more receptive to my concerns while flying.

The main thing I think is before you (or your trainer) boards the plane, ask someone if they can confirm that your dog is on the plane. I have taken to writing my dogs name in big letters on both ends of the crate because someone once came back to me and said "yeah there is a dog on the plane - there is suposed to be two though" - with the name in big letters they know it is your dog. In most airports I have been to I could see the dogs being loaded on the plane which is also good.

The laws are pretty strict for how dogs are handled: However, I did hear of a fatality within Canada but there was never any indication as to the cause (ie. exisiting condition).

It depends on the airplane as to where the dogs go but the entire baggage compartment is pressurized - in some planes the animal area is separate and there is limited space.

Is your dog crate trained?

I don't know if I answered your questions or helped!

All the best,

Kyna

OK Wobbin,

I'll do anything for news.

Nap is wild as a monkey. He gets his twice a day circumnavigation of the park (gosh I wish Sam was around to appreciate my two bit word) with a stop to play with the pet dogs having their doggy park fun. I will not impart the gist of our exchanges since I am now a kinder, gentler poster. After that, we head home so he can crap in his ex-pen--sometimes he can hardly hold it, but he manages--and get further lessons in how to be a city/house dog: don't jump up, don't eat shoes or chew on phone lines, don't bark at the neighbours, respect your elders etc. Yesterday, he decided to flip out at TV--SCARY SCARY, that talking head was.

On Saturday I took him to the farm and he chased ducks and then watched and ran to head sheep from outside the fence, so all good there.

Now: Lebar?????

Terry is referring to the highly amusing (to her) incident this morning when she emailed me to inform me that my USPS hat I had bid on and won on ebay (thanks, Mrs. Armstrong for the tip) had arrived and that even though Jim had worn it all day before he lost it in the manure heap, she'd put it in the washer and dryer and was sure it hadn't shrunk too much.

A.

This is just from my experience. Piper has gone on two trips in her life on planes. Once as a puppy flying from Syracurse, NY to Sitka, AK...I actually think she did better than me on those flights-I was a wreck. She was a puppy and 2 lbs over the limit so had to be checked as baggage. The second trip, Piper flew between our legs on her way to a SAR conference. That is the best way for her to travel with us....it was great, AND, of course she was more behaved than most kids. Everyone was amazed that there was a dog in the cabin. She can fly in the cabin as long as she is going to a SAR event or real search.

As for airlines, Alaska Airlines has a great policy with pets-very pet friendly, is that you get confirmation when you dog is on board...the flight attendant brings you a sticker that says "Relax I'm on boards too!"

As for other airlines, I don't have much experience. When we first flew home with Piper on American Airlines, I had asked for confirmation...the flight attendant looked at me like I had asked her if I could sit out on the wing...I was upset. The Pilot overheard me and said that he gets a print-out of all the "critters" on board before they take off and he would let me know. And he did.

As for flying preparations. It really helps if your dog is crate trained. The airlines require bowls in your dog's crate in case they get stuck somewhere and need water. Also if your traveling along with your dog, bring along paper towels, wet wipes, etc., be prepared for the unexpected. Oh and the night before the dog flies, sleep in a t-shirt you don't care about and put that in the crate with the dog the next day...that way the dog will have your scent with her/him.

If I think of other stuff I'll let you know.

Go Nap! He seemed like the type that will master about anything. Sam and I decided what we *should* have named him though, on our way home from the trial. Did you see that Harry Potter movie with the house elf creature thingie (technical term there), named Dobby? Totally Nap with those ears. :rolleyes:

Was wishing i'd held onto that pup for you on Sunday, btw. Tried out #5 from the litter and ooowee, more good stuff. Ask Colin, he got to see the show. May be another crew of these guys next year...

Let's see, what else???? Oh yeah! :D Talked to Sammy Jo and she says it's brutal out there, dogs are retiring and being DQed like mad. Good old, "who me, lie down on the fetch? are you crazy?" Tucker has come through though. They got the sheep down the fetch, over the bridge, shed and pen. Apparently only the second ones to do so at this point. It's early and things may improve in the running, but she was pretty happy and thinking it might hold up to the double lift. I am SO dying that i'm not out there too! Next year, darn it....

Woo hoo Sammy! Tell I'm rooting for her and Big Friar Tuck and Grace. Is she running Buff too? dying to hear how he handles those sheep.

Yeah, you can laugh about Dobby except that I got a Sheltie friend to glue his ears, so he's cute as a button for the moment, anyway. Aiming for that tip-eared look. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. '-) Cover your eyes, Fosher. You didn't read it here.

A.

Oh hell, i forgot the most exciting news - she's moved Buff to Open at LeBar's so he can run twice. Don't tell me my buddy doesn't have a set! :rolleyes: What a place to move up, and he's only been in Ranch, what, 5 minutes?

She said he's been doing great out there on the sheep. I'd think she's probably run him by now but i haven't heard anything. I'll try to remember to update the report tomorrow. I think i'll hear from her again tonight.

Glue, oh geez. A kelpie and now glue!

Just stumbled on this thread...

Pearse, you crack me up!

Terry, my BF is a pilot, but he flies freighters (they do, however, carry live animals - evidently horses are the most critical of the pilot's landing and takeoff skills.) Not sure why you wanted to talk to a pilot, but if you have a specific question I can relay it. It sort of sounds like you want to talk to a passenger-jet pilot, but...?

Thanks AK Doc ....but I just realized that I have a good friend who has only been retired for a year and he was a jet pilot. Some (many)times, I don't think of the obvious. My real concern is how the flight could effect Mick's hearing. A deaf or hearing impaired dog can't herd. It is also hard to send Mick away for training but I will deal with that.....somehow.

A..... don't you dare comment.

Rob......Have you heard any more results from LeBar's

Thanks AK Doc ....but I just realized that I have a good friend who has only been retired for a year and he was a jet pilot. Some (many)times, I don't think of the obvious. My real concern is how the flight could effect Mick's hearing. A deaf or hearing impaired dog can't herd. It is also hard to send Mick away for training but I will deal with that.....somehow.

A..... don't you dare comment.

Rob......Have you heard any more results from LeBar's

I've flown two dogs from the U.S. to Europe, and two dogs roundtrip Europe to the U.S. and back.

Dogs didn't have any problems although one of the flights was a descent into about the fifth ring of the Inferno for me...

A couple of tricks:

1. Use a porter if you can't figure out how to manage--it's amazing how much easier it makes it if you pay someone to move the crate (especially if you have two crates!).

2. Replace the little plastic water dish with one of the big metal water dishes you can get that hang on the door--the night before the flight, fill it with water and put it in the freezer--that way, the dog can lick the ice throughout the flight and is much less likely to spill the water.

3. Aclimatize your dog to its crate, if it doesn't spend time in it normally--I made my guys sleep in bottom half of their crates for about two weeks before the flight.

4. Most airlines have these little tickets they put on the crates that they deliver to you in your seat to prove your dog is onboard--I'm pretty sticky about insisting that someone give me positive confirmation that the dogs are on the plane.

Regards, MR