BC Boards

3 vs 2 - how much more work?

Sasha'sMom

Well today I laid down after my shower and in the king sized bed was Tuck Grace Libby Todd Casey and maddie was on her bed on the floor. The windows were open, a nice breeze was blowing and I thought just how much I love all my dogs...I do miss the time when it was just Tucker and I but this is pretty special too! Maybe one day I will be able to put some dogs in the really nice kennel I built, but not yet. I havent quite reached that number...God my husband is a saint.

Ah Fred, I laid of the floor last night watching a movie with him galloping all over the living room and laying on my back...what a cutie that one is! He is definately not ready for the quiet lazy morning after shower bed ritual yet. That takes VERY advanced training! Just read about your clinic adventure...I understand where they are coming from but just with all things in life when you ASSUME, you make an ass out of u and me! I would have had to rip that lady a new one if she had said that to me.

Renee wasn't present for the comment, but was VERY pissed when I told her about it. Renee might have ripped her a good one had she been present. On the other hand $6 a dog for 5 dogs was worth the verbal abuse. :rolleyes:

Although they did confuse me when they kept insisting that the ones we were bringing in had been vaccinated 2 years ago; in actuality it was 3 years ago. Our guess is WV requires every 2 years while in MD it's every 3 years. Renee kept answering the question ("They were vaccinated 2 years ago?") by saying they are due this year.

I wonder how a WV vet handles a client who lives in MD. I wonder how MD would handle a WV rabies cert. if it states it expires in 2 years even though a MD vet would likely use the same vaccine and say it's good for 3 years. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Mark

Wow... a day passes, and the thread explodes!

So far, so good. Melanie did hit the nail on the head...

Nik (GSD) is MY dog. My PERFECT dog. The laid back one who doesn't pull the leash, loves belly rubs, and picked ME at the shelter. He's the boss.

Then there's Sasha, little PITA, hyper, loud, puppy Sasha. She's only part BC, but it's plenty for me. Heck, we thought she was a chow mix until the "other side" reared up. Hubby insisted on her, and sometimes, I have a tough time with it. (Being that I somehow ended up doing all the work.) She's still a pup, so it will be awhile before she becomes anything resembling calm.

Sassy is either Sasha's best friend, or mortal enemy. I can't tell which yet, as they spend a great deal of time rolling around in the grass, on the floor, on the couch, or anywhere else they happen to be.

I just worry that there isn't enough of *me* to go around. (Demanding work, call nights, etc.) Seems like Sasha and Sassy are doing a pretty good job of entertaining themselves, though.

We shall see, I suppose. I do think Sassy could easily pass the CGC test - maybe she's meant to be a therapy dog. I could see that. Of course, that also means we have to find time to actually do it...

Danielle

We recently went from a two dog house to a three dog house, and notice the difference. We added a nine year old, un-neutered, high herding drive dog into our house and the first two dogs don't like it. Cactus the cranky old girl, who is the BOSS of the house (after the big black cat and me, mostly in that order) hates him on sight. She will walk into a room, see him and immediatly go after him, teeth bared, snarling and generally having a great time. I've found him on the living room end tables, the couch back and huddled half in the dogtoy box in the corner. Geordie, our other un-neutered male, who is less than a year younger, and weighs within a pound of Blaze was initially OK with him coming into the house, but after a day or two was expecting him to leave. So, the growling and fighting started. We first thought that Geordie was the aggressor, but after a week of this, we called a friend who is a Behaviourist, and had her come over and see what she could figure out about the situation. It seems as Blaze is actually the aggressor, but he is very sneaky about it, and will irritate Geordie until he starts to growl, and then will come over, sit beside me and look as though he has been wronged. Damn Border Collies, who would ever think that a dog would be smart enough to manipulate a situation and then lie about it. Either way, crating Blaze at night has solved a lot of problems, since he wanted to sleep in the bedroom with us like the other dogs, but Cactus would get up in the middle of the night for a trip outside (she's an old lady) and then trip over Blaze and the snarling and growling would start. Blaze has never fought back, but on a few occasions, has jumped on the bed to get away from Cactus, and then Geordie, who is the on the bed dog gets upset and will then go after Blaze. It's pretty exciting at about 4:30 am to have two 47 pound dogs fighting on the bed with you. So, for now we are doing the little things the behaviourist taught us, and things are working out pretty good, but eventually they have to work out the pack order themselves and we humans can't really do much to influence it either way. The major problem is that the two boys are so evenly matched that the little scuffles that they have mostly end up in a tie, so there is no clear winner. So, we may have to go as far as to muzzle them and then instigate a confrontation and let them go at it until one of them is the winner, then live with that. Or, if things get really bad, Blaze may have to go, but I don't want that to happen, since I'm entered in a trial at the end of the month, and Blaze is one damn good herding dog.

Ken, Geordie, Cactus and Blaze