BC Boards

Dog Tricks

Kiwi_Steve

D'elle, what Ruth explained (thanks!) is how I taught "shame" also. I like Ruth's explanation for "dig" as well. What I did was start the dog in a down position and click paw movement (I was actually teaching a "scoot back", but she gave me both a 'dig' and a 'scoot back', which I eventually separated). I then clicked only for paw/leg movement backward (still in a down), then alternating paw/leg movement backward. I've taught two dogs this trick - Sierra just did a "scoot back", but Zoe wanted to do a "dig" as well, which my vet loves for her to do as warmups for her arthritic elbow. :rolleyes:

-Laura

For the "Bow" you can have you dog in stand position then lure him (only the head)by moving a small treat in front of his face to between his front legs. when he does bow, say Bow and treat. eventually, you can do it without the treat. for body signal, you can do the similar mortion but without treat.

These posts are so great - I've gotten some wonderful ideas, and really enjoy reading about the things we've all worked on w/our bc's.

I'm going to start on the picking up laundry thing in the next day or so. Will report back!

Ruth n the Amazing Border Trio

Oh, something I almost forgot to mention... if you haven't already, teach the commands to your dog with both verbal and hand signals. With Oreo I can give either/or and have her obey. Which is really nice when someone's sleeping and I want her to come... I just give the hand signal and she trots over. =)

yeah, I use both hand and voice signals, sometimes involuntarily. If I want him to sit, I say the command, and my hand is automatically sweeping downwards. But at least now he'll sit without a vocal command! lol! And i found that Jake does "play dead" and "rollover" best when I kind of "push" outside shoulder towards him. Like, if he's in front of me, and i want him to go to his left, then I'll wave my left shoulder towards him, sometimes my entire upper body will wave towards him. But I'm also working more on the vocal, by turning around and saying the command in the open air, and he's supposed to do his sit or lie down without seeing my face (the only way I can tell he's lied down is if I hear that grunt of frustration and disaproval, lol)