BC Boards

How do your dogs react to thunder?

Lunar

The last time we had thunder here, Kali just looked puzzled, Snorri-dog ran back into the house (not terrified, just taking no chances!).

What really freaks them out, however, is low-level flyovers by military jets. Orkney's Scapa Flow is a popular place for NATO combined exercises and we get Tornado strike planes zapping over our roof at stupidly low heights (legally not under 250 feet, but try proving it....). The last time one of those machines went over, it took me 25 minutes to get the dogs out from under the table. My friend's horses all broke their tethers and two sheep aborted.

Thunder is as nothing compared to the havoc the Royal Air Force creates!

Snorri

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Finnsmydog,

My understanding is that with melatonin you have to give it well before the storm actually hits for it to have any effect on your dog. I gave up trying it as my most thunderphobic dog at the time knew well before I did when a storm was coming and by then it was too late to give the melatonin.

J.

Atlantis sounds kinda like my Maggie...today we had some thunder and she did her usual 'let's bark at it and make it go away!' and of course it eventually listened to her!

Mags used to be afraid of storms...hiding under things usually, but all of a sudden she started giving thunder what for and has been happy to ensure that the thunder leaves when it should - lol.