BC Boards

Heat Cycles?

Gibber

Mercy Crusade Inc. (an animal welfare organization)says that a cat and her offspring can produce four hundred twenty-thousand kittens in seven years; a dog and her offspring can produce sixty-seven thousand puppies in six years. They also say that seventy-five percent of the cats entering shelters are killed and sixty-one percent of all dogs entering shelters are killed.

Your puppies might live happily but you would have no control over the lives of puppies of the puppies (and so on) which could have been stopped with responsible neutering/spaying.

I volunteer at bc rescue. I live with 4 rescued dogs. It breaks my heart to not be able to take more.

Because of the large numbers of thrown away border collies who end up in rescue, many for months before they can find homes, I?ve come to feel very strongly that before breeding more wonderful border collies, the breeder should be certain they are breeding for the good of the breed as a whole. Period. Some of these rescue dogs have found wonderful homes herding, doing agility, drug detection, tracking and at least one works in wildlife recovery. The list goes on. Rarely is anything wrong with the dogs surrendered except what people have done to them usually through ignorance. The problem is that there are many more dogs than there are homes.

The lucky throw-aways end up in rescue. The rest end up in shelters where, I?ve been told, one of our local shelters kills about 40 dogs a day, every day. That?s only one of many shelters. It makes me cry.

Please don?t breed unless you can guarantee a life long home for each puppy if the adoptive homes don?t work out, and that the parent dogs pass muster on all accounts so that your dogs contribute the genetics to continue to elevate border collies to the standards so many have worked so hard to achieve.

I?m probably the least articulate person here and don?t post often, but I am not the least passionate. I have come to love this breed and have learned so very much from many of the experienced people here. Please continue to read and learn and keep your heart and mind open. Thank you.

Sue and the wonder dogs

if you absolutely had to breed your dog to show your kids the miracle of life, why exactly do you want two litters? 1 litter is enough, and 2 litters doubles the chances of your dog having troubles during birth, and she may even die.

Showing them videos or pictures over the internet works just as well.

Gibber - you say that lots of local farmers are "interested" in getting a puppy from you, BUT what kind of home will they provide, and what kind of home do you want for them???

THe very odd time that I have a litter of puppies, I could sell 10 times over to "local farmers". I don't because do know what kind of homes they would end up in? They would be tied up unles working, - no interaction because letting them be a pet spoils them for working, or they would be kept in crappy pens and never socialized, never looked after properly, fed crappy food, injuries not looked after, or would be allowed to run loose and be run over by machinery, or shot because they were too stupid to be trained, or worked the neighbours livestock, poisoned by coyote bait, the list goes on and on.

It is estimated that the average "farm" dog only has a 30% change of reaching 2 years of age.

I have a very high standard of living required from someone that gets a puppy from me, and THAT person gets me along with the puppy for LIFE. Someone once said as a backhanded compliment that it was easier to adopt a child than to be allowed to own one of my puppies. I don't want my puppies to be living with people who look at them as merely another piece of biological equipment on their farm.