BC Boards

hostility towards other dogs... is she trying to protect me?

shevaun8

Diane, this is so true, I am aware that it is me that has more fear of approaching dogs than Tia and have been trying to do what you have described, with varied success.This morning while out on our walk a stray dog off leash approached us, now I must admit I did cross the road but I didn't tighten the leash, panic, or race off, little Tia couldn't have cared less, babysteps I know but at least I wasn't in a cold sweat and transferring my fear to her. As I have never been bitten or had any serious incident with dogs I have racked my brain to try and understand where this fear comes from. Dog obedience is proving far better therapy for me than for Tia, though last week (first time) I spent the whole time a nervous wreck as there were 12 dogs and little control, hopefully I can behave in a more relaxed manner this week.

I have to agree with the fear transfer thoughts. I was told before that I transferred my fear of dogs onto boston. when I was 7 I was attacked by 2 large german shepards and ever since I've had that paralizing fear where my heart stops, I can't breathe or even move a muscle. boston picked up on that. you know though, ever since boston and I started obediance for the first time that has rather quickly subsided. the first few lessons were torture for me. I stayed well away from the other people and dogs there but now after being on this board, taking obediance, being around other dogs and learning what I've learned that fear is going away. now if I see a strange dog I"m no longer compelled to run in the opposite direction and don't have a heart attack. I still cross the street though. boston has calmed down alot and now if we are playing in a public place she doesn't even notice other dogs. up until someone told me I was transfering that fear to boston I thought it was all her fault for being a "bad dog"

even though some of boston's problem is lack of self confidence alot of it because of me and now we are trying some of the things mentioned here. thanks for sharing this is most helpful

Not only do I deal with the bafoon who lets his dogs run off leash and yell "IT'S OK, HE'S FRIENDLY!!" at me as I try to avoid a potentially bad situation with his off-leash pit bull. (I'm sorry but "friendly" and "pit-bull" just don't seem right together!) But I also have to deal with the freaking idiot parents of young kids that allow their screaming brats to run up to my handful of leashed dogs as they yell "SORRY!" at me as I try to avoid having my dogs rip their heads off because they have grabbed a handful of tail and are pulling.

What in God's name can I do but go off on the stupid parent!? That same stupid parent that would turn around a sue my A$$ in a heartbeat if one of my leashed dogs happend to go after their off-leash child????

I just can't get over the lack of responsiblity of dog owners AND child owners. Not all - of course - but it's those that are bad that make life miserable for those that are good.

Is it my fault if my off-leash dog runs into the road and you hit it? Is it your fault if your off-leash child runs into the road and I hit it?

I'm such an angry person when I go for walks with the dogs because I have learned to expect the unbelievable. And I have to generally avoid most folks with dogs or kids. They just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Denise

While I do think that for some dogs, it is a matter of picking up on the tension coming from the human on the other end of the leash, I don't believe that's always the case. I have one dog who is seriously dog aggressive, particularly when on leash (with whom I have made tremendous progress using counterconditioning and desensitization techniques), and I am not afraid of other dogs at all. In fact, she came with this issue, and the first time she ever displayed the behavior, I was completely relaxed and totally unsuspecting. I think for some dogs, it's not the handler at all, but their own internal emotional state that causes it.

I just love that line "It's okay, he's friendly!". If I'm walking Abby, by the time I get the words "Well, mine is NOT!" out of my mouth, she has already illustrated my point by going into her kill kill kill routine. Which totally sucks, because part of reconditioning her is preventing these incidents from occurring. Every time this happens, it sets all my hard work back lightyears. :rolleyes:

Second obedience today and I must say I behaved myself beautifully. I was, of course, terrified, but posed as a good fearless leader and even allowed some social but sniffing and a couple of kissies. You'll never guess what happened, though I doubt many of you will be surprised, halfway through class a dog walker with a bad mannered little terrier decided to eavesdrop on the class and of course stood right behind me. I decided to loosen the leash and allow Tia to investigate this little nuisance who was trying to jump all over her, that actually went well but then this woman's two small (maybe 4 and 5) kids came running over, patted Tia without asking and then started jabbing there hands at her going grrr grrr grrr.I pulled Tia away and asked the kids to leave her please and the mother finally sent them away. I can now see Denise's point of view on this, I wish they'd picked the Siberian Husky with his terrorist owner instead of me, that lesson would have been remembered for quite some time (not that I'd like to see the kiddies hurt but a good warning might have done their oblivious mother good).