BC Boards

how far to your day job? UPDATE

kelpiegirl

hi all

I am looking at a property this weekend that will be about 1.5 hours from my day job. That got me thinking to ask all of you who have day jobs in addition to your farms, how far do you drive each way? Imo, if this place is as good as it looks, it is doable, but is this an insane amount to drive?

Julie

My husband was working 6 days a week for quite awhile and had a 1 hour and 15 min drive one way.(on top of a twelve hour shift) ..it really did/does wear on him..Now he works local 3 days a week and only two days a week in town...he generally stays overnite so he only has to do the drive twice vs 4 times. I guess it is all where your priorities lie..we couldnt aford a farm like we have in town so he does the drive two days a week...it is much much better now so really think long and hard..it is a pretty big deal or at least it was for us/him.

I'm lucky in that my day job is only 2 days a week. But it takes me a good 2+ hours each way. However, this IS southen CA, and what we do best is commute!

Anna

Julie,

When considering travel time you also need to consider whether there's someone at home to take care of stuff for you. Right now I travel 1/2 hour each way, and I adjusted my work schedule so that I go in early, skip lunch, and leave early so that even in winter I have a little daylight for doing evening chores in.

When I used to work in DC and live in Fredericksburg, the commute was an hour or so each way. Add that to an 8-hour work day (9 if you don't have a paid lunch) and you've got a long day on top of whatever needs caring for at home. At the time I had just one dog and a bunch of cats and awesome neighbors who'd go get Indy when they got home and keep him till I got home. I didn't have livestock then, although I was riding and showing for someone, and on the evenings I rode it made for really, really long days. I don't think I could easily do that kind of commute now and take care of all I have to take care of here.

I am now looking at places further out, but if it gets in the 1+ hour range, I will just go in to the office maybe two days a week and work at home the rest of the time.

So I guess if I had someone at home to help with chores I'd consider a longer commute, but as the sole caretaker of everything around here, I sure wouldn't want to drive any further than I already do.

J.

Julie,

Another thing to consider is jobs closer to where you are looking at land. Maybe you don't have the type of job that easy to find...or you have been at your current job a long time...but just something to consider.

We have decided to put off looking for land for another year; however, my requirement is no longer than a 45 minute commute each way. Even though I have a husband who would possibly be available more than me, he does not want the responsibilities of sheep...so I would have to do the chores...until I can con him into it!!!!

To me, 1 1/2 hours seems like a long way unless you could find a job closer.

hi all

I went to the property today. WOW. The house was THE BEST BUILT house I have ever stepped foot in- wasn't huge, but PLENTY big. The property was just a tiny piece of what used to be- it is 18+ acres now, but it used to be several hundred-or even 1000+. Anyway, it had two LARGE barns, a smaller barn for sheep- yeah, they had sheep, and a smaller pen, and a coop. A nice cleared place for the sheep- which would work really well for the sheep barn. All in all, a GEM. But, alas, the drive is just too much. If you all know anyone in Rennselear county NY looking for their dream property, let me know. Oh, and it is priced to sell.

Julie

Another thing to consider is, will the commute change over the next few years. I have a 42 mile commute; and depending upon how early I leave it can take me 45 min to 1.5 hrs to make that drive. I have found that every year I need to leave 15 min earlier in the morning to make the drive in 45 min; this year it's 4:30am.

Mark

Okay, so I have been thinking about this property- it has stuck in my craw. There have been lots of interesting you might call "signs" steering me toward the property... The commute would be rough, and I might rent out the house at first, but...

The agent wants me to meet the sellers who want this farm to remain a farm. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it, or just suck it up and forget it. Until this afternoon. A little background- the agent's email is fengshui....

Neat, because my sister told me she thought the place had nice feng shui. Me, I see nothing but sheep there.

Okay, back to this afternoon. I was doing the crossword puzzle, and 7 down was "a collie's charge" answer: sheep, and 13 down which used the H from sheep was FENG _____ answer: SHUI.

AAAACCKKK!! Too weird. If that isn't a sign, I really don't know what is. Am meeting the owners tomorrow- please think good energy thoughts, and maybe that the owners like it enough to give it to me cheap!

Julie

I have an hr plus drive for me....seomdays I wonder if it is worth it but then I get home, pull out the dogs to work with the sunset in the background, clean crisp air in my lungs and the sheep and dog are in sync and YES it's worth the drive. I have 10 acres plus 20 more that I lease and when I get stressed from work, I go out and work the land then I remember those things that are truly important to me.

Yes, it's a long drive but I get to work my dogs every day, have livestock, peace of mind and quiet......

It's 37 miles to work for me, one hour drive so I just crank up the country western music and relax.

I also got my hours switched so I work 9 hr days and have every other Friday off and later this yr plan to telecommute two days a month...which means I only go to work 4 days a week.

My handling, stockmanship and life has gotten better....the city spouse is dealing with it and loves to see his Tess work!!

if the signs are there....you will find a way.

Diane