BC Boards

How many?

Leigha

I have 24, but they are divided up among three locations. My neighbor, whose pastures I share has 18, so we have a total of 42 together. That is largely limited by pasture/drought conditions, but the number will expand next spring when the next crop of lambs comes (though I will probably also get rid of the wethers I kept back this year as puppy training sheep). I imagine we'll hold steady at around +/- 50. If I can manage to buy a place of my own and get a production flock going, those numbers will rise.

J.

50 including the lamb crop, but this is in a state of flux. We're working toward a consistent commercial-type Tunis ewe flock the lambs from which will finish on grass. This fall we'll sell the ram lambs and do some heavy culling, so we'll be down to about 20 brood ewes, and we'll probably level off at 25-30 until we get more land cleared.

I asked out of complete curiousity What is culling? As you can tell I know nothing about sheep. Luckly if and when I take the leap I have a close friend that raises sheep. I would only have them for my dogs and kids. I don't want to raise them and would prefer to buy them from my friend when needed (not sure if that was the best way to say that but couldn't think of another way at the moment). Thanks

Culling refers to getting rid of some sheep or removing sheep from the flock. Many times this is done for breeding purposes and/or because sheep are diseased or in some other way inferior (but not always). Kim

I've kept back a couple dozen ewes from my Plan A operation that we've been doing the last eight years. On top of that: this year's lamb crop, replacements, and rams put us over forty. I'll get rid of a lot of those this summer, too. I'm going in a different direction now that we've got the room, and will slowly start buying in ewes, possibly mid to late fall depending on when opportunity arises (I'm looking for some specific types).

My goal is to have between 50 and 75 ewes here.

I was thinking you were saying 5 (as in count them on one hand) to 8,000.

Oh sorry- just too darn lazy to type the extra 3 digits.

Where are you located. I'd gladly send you some of our rain.
Western Australia. That's a fine offer, thanks. If you could parcel up just a few days of decent rain it would make all the difference. We'll happily send you some fine sunny days with frosty edges in return.

Well, you can keep the frosty edges, but we sure have rain to spare. About 12 inches (30.5 cm) in the last three weeks. Another 1.5 to 2.5 inches expected today and tomorrow, and there's at least a chance of rain in the forecast every day in the coming week except Monday.

There's going to be a lot of overripe first cutting hay this year.

Wow, it's been fairly dry here but nothing like you've been having, Julie. Our pastures are nice and green and pretty lush.

We don't have sheep but we calve out about 30 head a year (usually around 20 - 25 cows, and some first-calf heifers). I'd love to have a small flock of sheep for "my" livestock and for training but the cost of fencing precludes that.

I keep 15 -20 head of breeding ewes. This year I'm down to 15 + my lambs + a Dorset ram. Hay storage was a problem for the last 2 years. I piled it outside under a tarp and that's not a good way to store hay in the WV mountains. Too much moisture. We're building a hay barn this spring.

Back to the sheep. I love my flock. Rambouilett/Dorset/NCC crosses. 200% lambing avg. this year, all lambed on their own outside. 2 sets of triplets being raised by their milky mothers.

Jeanne Bell

Fly the wise one

Glen the powerful

Isabelle the protector

Looks like Bill pushed that rain down here. Of course, people are trying to cut hay this week - isn't it always that way? I asked my landlord if he knew anyone with last years' round bales to sell and his eyes just glazed over (I need to wean in a dry lot because my grass is pretty lush). And in fact, it's like Julie says - and people are feeding anything they've got.

I have about 18 head- Kathadin mostly with a few Dorper crosses. Thats about my limit as far as affording my hay bill (my sheep do at least pay for themselves, but at 18 head, just barely.) I was able to loan some out and sold a few ewes so we are not going through more than a bale a day any more ( there is no such thing as "pasture" here). I also had a great lambing year this year and one set of very spry triplets (their mother is a saint in all things but occasionally loses her temper with dogs). It has taken me about 4 years to get those sheep to be a little profitable as opposed to a big money pit .

Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't care where the rain went. I'm just rejoicing in the fact that it's gone. Yesterday was the first sunny day without rain in a week, and it looks like we're in for a stretch of decent weather. Finally.

Now, Becca. About your love of foot trimming. My project this week is to get through all 245 of the western ewes.