BC Boards

Is there an answer?

Unless, of course, the landowner gave permission for a friend or relative to hunt the area? Hunting leases in our area are all posted, due to liability issues, as is liability insurance.

My guess is that the stand belongs to the landowner or a person who has permission. I seriously doubt someone would leave an expensive tree stand in a tree when she/he is done hunting illegaly.

I hunt all of the time on lands that are clearly marked "no hunting", but I know the landowners so those signs don't pertain to me.

ADDING: Unless that's your sign and your land.... In which case I guess you just got yourself a free tree stand!

Well, all sensible approaches aside, assuming it isn't the land owner's, you sure could have fun some nice cold day if you happened to find someone up it - and could fix it so they couldn't get down. Sorry, I'm evil that way, but I have no love lost on hunters. My opinion is that in general, they're like smokers - can't read and aren't to smart. I know there are some that are ok - just my experiences. Like the idiot that was coon hunting on our property one year - out of season. I went out to find a strange dog in my barn - where my ewes had young lambs. Caught it, shut it in a coop (this was around 11 at night) and went back to bed. Dog would NOT shut up - that's a hound. Especially when the owner is prowling around just inside our woods calling it. When my hubby told him we'd caught the dog, he takes off in his truck (parked by the road). So, we call his house (dog's tag) and wake presumably his wife at now 1-2 am, telling her that if someone doesn't come get the dog, we're going to shoot it (to shut it up because at this point we're very tired and cranky) - after we tell her that her stupid hubby took off and left it. Well, she came and got it (lived at least half an hour away from the address) and I'm sure he got his when she got home with HIS dog. So never underestimate the stupidity of hunters. The dog was wearing a fairly expensive training collar and we'll assume the dog had some value. But call the conservation office or as someone said, fish and game dept.

Originally posted by Jordi44:

....you sure could have fun some nice cold day if you happened to find someone up it - and could fix it so they couldn't get down.

Funny. I question on a number of levels whether it would be advisable to try and strand an armed citizen participating in a legal activity.

I had a deer stand in my bush, and knew probably sho owned it. I let my dogs exercise around that area a lot, and then the stand was gone. I approached this guy down the road(hunting addicted fanatic) and he said he moved it because he wasn`t gettting any action. Now today when I went out with the dogs to the back fields, I heard shots a mile away, and a minute later a young deer went racing across the field, the dogs gave chase, but finally called back when it was ut of sight. I like watching the deer, not the frenzied racing around.(hunters too with 4x4 in trucks circling the country blocks all day)

Originally posted by Firchow:

Funny. I question on a number of levels whether it would be advisable to try and strand an armed citizen participating in a legal activity.

While I agree with Glenn that it would be a bit foolish to try and strand an *armed* hunter up in a tree, I wouldn't consider the hunting in question to be legal if it's taking place on posted property (assuming the stand belongs to someone without permission to hunt there).

I have no problem with hunters in general, but having grown up in a area where poaching was rampant among the good ol' boys, I have little sympathy for those who flout private property rights when pursuing their legal activities.

J.

The local police here stopped a friend of mine walking with her dog on university property to make sure she wasn't hunting - apparently they have a lot of problems w/ poachers on that piece of property - kinda scary since it is within city limits!!

I guess it might be a private deer stand too. But throwing my two cents worth in because I can :rolleyes: . I have neighbors who hunt illeagly all the time, on what ever property they can. They have no regard for private property ever . I found a dead buck on my property that had been shot and not trailed. Heard through the grapevine, it was the youngest kid, got tired and just went home. He hunt out of season all the time and brags about shooting dogs in the cattle pasture. I don't have anything against most hunters. But even a few bad ones make it really hard on hunting PR.

Andrea D.