BC Boards

cull or second chance?

Maralynn

Late for the prolapse discussion but I've had too much experience with the problem. I had a line of ewes that prolapsed. They all went back to the same ram. After the 4th prolapse (2 were full sisters and 1 was their mother, I culled everything in my flock carrying that bloodline. Knock on wood, no more prolapses. (4 years.)

Sorry, I would cull. (Some of my ewes have names too so I understand how you feel)

Jeanne Bell

Snowshoe, WV

Jeanne,

I had the same experience in breeding stock I purchased. The seller traced the problem back to a new ram she had used, this was after much discussion she had with Cornell, Pipestone and other local vets.

The problem showed up in 3 different farms in different parts of PA (so management, hay, transportation, etc was ruled out eventually), but each ewe that prolapsed was from the same ram. Now not every ewe born of this ram prolapsed, but a very high percentage did. I culled all those ewes and all thier offspring (as she did), male and female at her suggestion.

The seller, who only sells breeding stock, replaced the ewes, or she would have been willing to give me my money back on them, plus I kept the money from selling the livestock. I thought she was being fair.

Nancy O

Originally posted by Bill Fosher:

Actually, the best approach is to have the livers of slaughtered lambs tested.

...and not to trust your non-biologist OH to hack off the sample. We had Cu/Co/Mn issues a few years back and lost lambs over two seasons. So, it was agreed to test some liver from the last year's lambs which was in the deepfreeze. Only he hacked off a piece of heart from a bag of offal. Luckily it was intercepted before the vet sent it to the lab!