BC Boards

Gettysburg Sheepdog Finals motel/campsite sharing?

Sue R

I'm going to be at the Natinal Sheepdog Finals (strictly as a volunteer) and am considering a motel room. That's a bit more pricely than I'd like to do by myself and I wondered if anyone would be foolish enough to want to share with me?

I've done some sharing several times and with several different folks/groups of folks, and managed sometimes to make a fool of myself by getting uptight. I hope I've learned my lesson.

Anyway, I'm looking at a room near Gettysburg from Sep 17-25, but don't have a price yet. OR, there is a small chance I might be able to get a little pop-up (with little or no real amenities) and, if I do, I would be staying at a campsite with amenities. That will cost about $40 a day for two people and if I have a second bed, I might have room for a friend...

Either way, if anyone's interested (Deb and Julie, either of you are welcome to take the risk with me again), please PM me.

Deb - Will there be any camping at the trial site? I may (cross your fingers) be able to have a small pop-up by then. If I can camp at the trial site, that's great. If not, I need to get a campsite. If I can't do that, I have to get a motel and hopefully someone to share the cost. However, Julie and Deb will tell you I'm not the best of roommates, but I'm trying to improve.

Hey Joan-

I don't know. I have no juice to speak to anything...other than I've been to the field several times and am familar with the generally proposed layout. The *camping* area is huge so it would seem silly to not allow volunteers who are helping with the event to use it...but I guess the nationals people will eventually put the word out on that.

Lori - Nice to hear from you! My last two times on the trial field with Celt have been pitiful but I'm glad we tried. I'm especially glad I got to talk to you and to Barb at Tom's in November. I am so excited about being able to see the Finals and especially to be able to help.

Thanks for your input about camping/tenting at the site. I would sure like to know what the answer is about whether or not volunteers can camp. It would certainly make a big difference to me in terms of the cost of the time I'm there to help. With luck (please, everyone cross fingers and toes, and paw toes, too) I might have a little second-hand camper of my very own to stay in... If not, there's always our little tent and my Subaru! Not the best in damp weather but cheap and doable!

Deb - You are too kind, but you haven't seen me at my worst, just at my most desperate!

I hope to hear their decision shortly so I can plan, but I know they have a great deal of more important things on their agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread as we have had trouble getting on the net.

There is camping available at the Finals(no hook-ups).We will accommodate handlers,volunteers,and any spectators(we will ask that they take out a dog sponsorship).We will have available a water fill-up and sewage dump at campers' expense.

Thanks for the news! That's great to hear. I've been waiting to find out if volunteers could camp because the cost of a motel is a bit much for me.

Will tent camping be allowed or RV only? I'm hoping to get something small in the way of a older, used pop-up but I don't know if I'll find the right one.

Thank you!!! I know they won't let tents at Masterston Station Park for the Bluegrass but I do have a tent already. If I'm really, really lucky enough to find a small pop-up that we can afford and that my car can haul, I'll be staying in style!

That's a load off my mind. Thanks again and best wishes!

Word of warning... since I've 'been there, done that!' Tent camping at a dog trial is certainly not for the faint of heart. Bring some electronet to encircle your camp otherwise it will become a gathering place for every male dog in the camp. You won't need to electrify it, just use it like a fence to keep dogs at least 5-10 foot from being able to pee on your tent.

Hear, hear Marilyn! As a long-time tent camper (well, as long as I've been trialing anyway), nothing pisses (no pun intended) me off more than folks who let their dogs pee on my tent.

Of course, I'm hoping I'll have managed to have my little antique camper rewired by then, but with the way gas prices are, I have to say that there's something to be said for the fact that a tent can be crammed in the van. And September, barring rain, might not even be a bad time for camping (then again, I stayed in a tent at Sturgis two years ago, and it wasn't bad at all).

J.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Marilyn and Julie. I have to admit that I never thought of that. Hopefully, I will have something better than the tent but if I don't, I will have to set up a little "yard".