BC Boards

VA State Fair

Motorcycle jumps were a couple of years ago. The human cannonball was the year before that. Here's "Godzilla" from last year. He "breathed" and made small movements with his big mouth. If I were a sheep, I sure wouldn't want anything to do with that end of the arena! There is always an interesting diversion at the VA State Fair. Bagpipes would be downright tame!

VAStateFairSDTCeltwearingsheeptodri.jpg

This will be the first year I expect to miss it since I got my little Skye... That dinner at the Mexican restaurant afterwards, where we coincidentally celebrate Sam Furman's birthday, is my favorite sheepdog socializing of the entire year!

But, Debbie, if I can come, could I impose on you? I'll help pick up horse poops faithfully every morning. You know I'm pretty good with poop.

The photo says it all! Good one, Sue.

The bagpipes were actually at the Strawberry Hill trials, which were held near the fairgrounds. The practice field for the pipers was next to the trial field. I think the pipers bothered Tom Lacy the most! He always had some choice mutterings. :rolleyes:

Sue, I'm afraid you missed THE Sam Furman birthday celebration. It was during the Montpelier trial and featured several entertaining performances, including Tommy Wilson, Tom Lacy, and a group of former Army paratroopers sitting at the next table. That's all I'm going to say in a public forum! :eek:

Now that's not Montpelier this year, is it? I thought that was this coming weekend, right after the state fair trial? It must have been a couple of years back, right?

It's probably just as well that I missed "THE" Sam Furman birthday celebration, particularly considering the "entertainers". I love and admire Tom and Tom both - they are good-hearted, but rowdy, I've heard? I've been to a couple of Sam's handlers' dinners and they are way outside my league, for sure!

The "minor" birthday celebrations for Sam after the state fair trial have been rather tame in nature, just like I like them, but fun at the after-trial dinner at the Mexican restaurant. Good food, good friends, good and tired...

The bagpipes have never seemed to bother my dogs but they aren't on whistles, and they and I sure aren't in the same class as Tom and his dogs! I'm always *looking* for a distraction upon which to blame my "performance" on the novice trial field. Too bad Celt ignored the lizard and the motorcycle jumpers of the previous year. I couldn't blame anything on anybody but myself and my handling!

Hi Debbie! I am trying to get Simon's sister, Freya, to the VA State Fair from David Henry's farm (far SW VA). Do you know of anyone who could give her a lift? She has a ride from the fair to CT, which is just 2 hrs from me. Otherwise I have a 2 day round trip drive to pick her up :rolleyes:

Hmmm, so that's what they traded for the Ferris wheel of a few years previously (oh dear, like TEN years). Wow, that's priceless. PJ LOVED that picture, Sue.

You're right, Becca - the ferris wheel was there the first year that I went with Skye to spectate. It was followed at some time by the Human Cannonball (real nice for gun-shot senstive dogs) and then the motorcycle jumpers (real good for loud engine-sensitive dogs) and last year by The Lizard.

Actually, I don't know if any dogs were adversely affected by any of these "sideshows" but I know I sure didn't enjoy the loud sounds and wondered how the dogs could hear the handlers' voices and whistles over the intermittent BOOM of the cannonball guy or the pretty constant VROOM-VROOM of the cycles.

I do know that I found the glare of the lizard's big eye to be disconcerting to me. Funniest of all was when they inflated him in the earlier morning. I kept wondering whatever was "it" going to be.

That was the best shot I had of old "lizard breath" and, since I'm behind the sheep, the most flattering one of me! I'm glad he enjoyed it - he would have loved going to see it in person.

The whole lizard deal would take a lot of getting used to, really. I don't think it would bother most dogs since in theory they can tell live stuff from real (though there WAS the time my old Rick went out to gather the gravestones across the road from Rural Hill . . .).

My gosh, human cannonball. Ben would be in the next county.

I really need to get out more when things settle down here - I'm missing out on a lot of fun! Um, well, I'll pass on the after-trial entertainment for the most part. I'm a wet blanket although I AM useful as a designated driver. :rolleyes:

Becca - You should have been along the evening before Montpelier a couple years ago. Lisa and I were herded along in the caravan from Sam Furman's old place, as we didn't know the way and everyone was solicitous that we didn't get lost on the way, and (of course) we set out hours later than we anticipated.

We all settled our vans, campers, and tents on the skimpy level ground along the lane, and then went out to find some dinner nearby. Tom Lacy rode up with Sam, and Robin, Lisa, myself, and three other lucky ladies (maybe Sue Asten, Deb Mickey, and Sherry Sheldon from PA) rode in the back of the van with the dog crates, etc. It was cozy! You didn't need seatbelts - you couldn't move!

For want of any alternative, we stopped at what must have been the most-mismanaged Pizza Hut on the face of the earth! For some reason, as the evening "warmed up", everyone else on our side of the room left their tables or left the restaurant. I'm sure it was only due to the very slow service and not the ambient noise level coming from Tom and Sam's end of the table.

There was Tom holding court with his bevy of seven women (I hate to guess what folks thought of that!). We all ordered, although several us never got our orders until it was long past time to leave! Lisa had to go up to the register and sort out the bill as the beleaguered manager was in way over his head and couldn't figure it out at all. The restaurant wasn't 1/4 full but they were understaffed and overwhelmed (and it wasn't just our fault).

The pizza wasn't very good and I tried to unload mine on an unsuspecting Sam, but she or Robin found the box on her van roof and thoughtfully returned it to me.

I, too, am quite the wet blanket and always prepared to drive as my vice of choice is Diet Coke.

So here's a not so crazy but still funny Tom story. He judged for one of Steve's novice trials and we went Sat night to what PJ calls the Good Fish Place. I sat across from Tom with PJ beside me and Tom spent most of the evening trying to convince two year old PJ that the oysters Tom was eating, were fried eyeballs and various other weird and gross things (not that oysters aren't gross enough). We had cake for Steve's and my joint b-day and Tom proceded to tell PJ that it was lizard flavored. PJ wasn't having any of it but he has no sense of humor, so he was getting a sense that this poor man was pretty much off his rocker.

PJ never forgets a thing and to this day PJ views Tom with a bit of suspicion. :rolleyes:

"Out of the mouth of babes"?

I really like Tom - he's kind and generous, soft-hearted, easily hurt, and sweet. Not perfect, but a wonderful person who's been very nice to me. When Karen wanted to give me Celt after Skye was killed, Tom was all for it.

He does have quite a sense of humor! Poor PJ! I can picture Tom teasing him precisely in the manner you describe.

Not this year, we have now reached an age where I am no longer celebrating! Drinking heavily, but no longer celebrating!

I spent this years birthday curled up in a chair and had a week long reading marathon, I read 11 books...all about a wise ass woman bounty hunter..I am currently scheduling a midlife crisis, enrolling in martial arts training going for my concealed weapons permit and applying to the police force..there comes a time when PMS is no longer enough! Steve is laying low, very very low!!!!

...martial arts...concealed weapons permit...police force...
No wonder Steve is laying very, very low. How about that obnoxious neighbor?

If you aren't celebrating, it's just as well I didn't wrack my brains looking for another clever card. You did like the one with the hung-over polar bear last year, didn't you? I saw it and I couldn't think of anyone but you. Why do I find the best cards for you at the university bookstore? Too bad you can handle a dog better hung over than many people can handle a dog sober.

If you think PMS is no longer enough, try menopause...

Hope to see you sometime!

Unfortunately I ALSO handle a dog better hungover than I do sober which is quite often not saying much...

Steve got me a cute card this year...it is a Mule with one of those loud colored mexican blankets under the saddle and draped over the tail and down to the hocks, on the outside it says birthday rule number one:

Never wear anything that draws attention to your ass...How nice is that? Bet you could find that in any university bookstore. Are you going to the fair? I will be there, I love the fair!

Sue,

That picture is a scream! Next time try to get the whole dragon..It pretty much sums up the fair trial. Gotta love fair time in Va. I hate to miss it. Sylvia will be there with Junior.

Dan

That picture is a scream! Next time try to get the whole dragon.
Dan - Lisa was taking pix of Celt working and this was, alas, the best one of the "dragon".

How come you never answered my long-winded email about my Bute? I'll have to talk to Sylvia about that. I'm looking forward to seeing her at the fair! Sorry we'll miss you but we're all resolved to have fun without you. If I go riding on a sheep again this year (please pray I don't), you'll miss it and regret it.

Are you going to the fair? I will be there, I love the fair!
Yes, Sam, Hurray! I am, at the last minute, able to go but not to go on to Montpelier, which is a great regret.

Of course you love the fair - you got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Open last year! I love the fair, too, but I hate the tight course (neither Celt nor I deal well with pressure of the tight kind). That doesn't matter because I didn't enter him because I thought we wouldn't be able to go. Although I could email Karen and see if I could enter and pay "day of". Some of us never learn our lessons...

I will look forward to seeing you and everybody else who's there! Will there be a dinner at the Mexican place? I've got a motel reserved for the drive home (tonight!) just so Laura and I can go to the dinner!

Joan - I assume we are both at a similar stage of life or so? The nice thing about menopause is, unlike PMS where you can only blame things on hormones for a short while once a month, you can blame everything all the time on hormones (or lack thereof)!

The dragon is nothing compared to the bagpipes. My old Moss dog was an absolute basket case around them! Sue, have you ever had to stand next to say about 30 or more bagpipers warming up? Very loud! He might be okay now that he's deaf in his old age! Have fun at the fair!

Renee

That picture ought to be in one of the Working BC magazines...how many people get to wear sheep toward a dinosaur.

Speaking of the Fair, this year may be the alst year at this location; ARE will announce their 2007 location in January (cowards!), so at one time, we had planned to have a "Last time in Richmond" State Fair SDT cookout or something, but who can tell, may be there again next year.

I highly recommend the VaTech Block and Bridle barbeque dinner, $8.00 for a chicken quarter (if they still have them)or choice of pork, beef or chicken sandwich with beans, coleslaw and bottle of soda. Anybody remember HeeHaw? YUM YUM!! There's a tent with tables next door if anyone wants to have dinner with me and my pals after the trial.

Then again if it rains, I'm going home. Wait a minute, I can't--4H duty at Young McDonalds in the Big Red Barn-drat!

I hear rain for Montpelier as well. Oh joy.

I had to check - from Intellicast;

Saturday:

Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s

Sunday:

Mostly cloudy. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

Sounds okay to me

There will be a big tent for the handlers as usual.

Guess my forecast is invalid: Barboursville: Saturday showers, hi 59 lo 50, Sunday 'few' showers 71, 53. I'll take yours instead. Our local guy gives this gloom/doom everytime there's an offshore low. Moving inland makes a difference.

Guess my perspective is more like Julie's too...sorry Julie! We can set up our 4H tents up top.

Of course I take the weather forecasts with a grain of salt. Last Saturday they were talking about what a wonderful sunny day it was as I was looking out at the drizzle all day.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for nice weather for everyone - especially for the very important pen and set out people!

See you all there!