BC Boards

Belle

Shoofly

Robin, How is Belle doing? A friend has a bitch that has had a mysterious fever since Sunday. She has had her to the vet every day. They started her on tetracycline and then switched to baytril when the oxytet didn't seem to be working. After reading these boards, I gave her your phone number to call to see if you had any thoughts. The blood work won't be back until tomorrow.

Originally posted by Shoofly:

Oh BTW, this would also be Petie's 12th birthday too - Joan's Petie that is - since he and Belle are littermates. Happy Birthday Pete!

Thanks, Robin! Robin and I have always given our dogs plain cheeseburgers for really special occasions. Belle was sick this year, so she got chicken. Petie is on a special diet because of osteosarcoma, so he gets hamburger twice a day, most days. He got a steak for his birthday meal.

A couple of years ago, Rip had one of these mysterious episodes, very similar to Belle's. We never did find out what it was, but he recovered.

Gotta go. I'm on my way to see Belle!

Hey Geri -

It seems the baytril is working so far. Belle's about back to 95% now. She's having some balance issues that she didn't have before, like she fell when she tried to stop once this evening, but you'd not notice it if you weren't me. The spring is back in her step and her tail is up and she's resumed her role as queen of the world. The lab work on her didn't show a lot, just the elevated white count. Her spleen and liver looked perhaps a bit enlarged on xray but not much if at all.

Time to feed her now. She got used to chicken and chicken broth so she's just walking back and forth from her bowl of dog food and looking at me like i forgot something. Guess i'll use more broth.

I'm keeping a very close eye on her since she had the fever thursday, then 3 days of feeling perfect, then the high fever again that didn't want to go away.

Please feel free to have your friend call me!

Thought i'd update you wonderful well-wishers on Belle. We ran bloodwork on her again yesterday and her white count and all other values are back in normal range, yay! It seems the baytril has worked. We'll check her levels again July 5th just to be sure things are staying okay, and i'm still keeping a close eye on her and not letting her overdo it. Whew!

Thanks again for the prayers and wonderful energy. I know it helped (it sure helped me anyway ).