BC Boards

Ew Ick ...

sasten

Help!

I'm a firm believer in the "spay/neuter" line of thinking, at least in my own house. Too many housedogs/too little house.

I have Brook, littermate to Mark's Jody. Brook, although most certainly :eek: a future Open/Finals winner I'm sure (grin), is going to be spayed. Her personality is a bit squirrelly to be passed on.

However, she was quite ill about a month ago, and as a result her spay date was pushed back til next month. She has now come into season...lovely.

What a mess!

Blood all over the house. Ew ick. She is crated of course when I'm not around, and I guess I'll have to get one of those stupid diaper things.

Here is my question - although I've had many dogs, I've not had an inside dog that was wasn't spayed. How long does this mess last!!!! Ew ick.

Thanks all!

When Fly came into season, she would bleed for about two weeks -- it'd start out really heavy (like holy crap! out of nowhere!) and then peter out. I found that an old pair of my string bikini underwear and a maxi pad (not a thin maxi -- a heavy duty maxi because they shift around less) did the job. You just cut the bikini strings on the sides and tie them together and the whole thing is nice and snug. Change the pad frequently, unless you like, um, that smell.

Just remember to take the panties off her before she goes out to pee. Oops, made that mistake -- not to mention you get some pretty weird looks when you're taking your dog for a walk in downtown Philadelphia and she's wearing a pair of spotted bikini panties.

I am glad that Fly is now spayed and will never have to wear my old panties again.

She will bleed for about 10 days (give or take) then she is within 3 days of being ready to breed. Swelling will last around 3 weeks to 28 days. After that you are safe. My Ger. Shepherd bled like a stuck pig. I used old underwear with a maxi pad on it so she would be clean in the house, but she went through one of those in a few hours. I was like you, she was scheduled for surgery and then came into heat and I had to put up with a bitch in heat. All my border collies are male and I'm happy with that. Good luck!

Jenny

Must be one of those "don't trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die" types, lol.

No actually it's one of those "smart" men that has enought wisdom to know that no matter what I say I'm wrong and women are right. :D

Having consulted with Renee, bleeding will last 21 days with varying heaviness; her opinion is that you won't want the dog loose (not covered) at any time during these 21 days. This is based upon her experience with Starr, Rae, Gyp, Tess, and Peg and a few schnauzers while she was growing up. As a plus, Kip (the Dam) was in season for 5 weeks when Mary B first got her. :rolleyes:

Mark

Wonderful! Her mother was in season FIVE weeks...

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Hey, my favorite was yours Melanie, about the bikini string undies - I'll make sure to dig a pair of mine out to use. :rolleyes: I'll have to borrow a pair of yours. ha. guess you wouldn't want em back. (for those of you who don't know us, I could wear one leg of Melanie's jeans as a sock.)

hehe. Thanks again to all.

Hey, Sue, how's it going?

We had our last therapy dog class visitation last week. One dog, Binks, a big chocolate lab, had recently had a lump removed from his hip and had a bald and stitched place. Since a dog can't visit with an open wound or something similar, we had to think of a way that he could go finish his visitations so he could be qualified.

Since St. Patty's Day is coming up, I suggested a "costume". He showed up at the rehab for visitation in a big green bow and a set of green boxers! Covered his stitches in seasonal cheer! And his owner put the boxers on backwards, and his tail wagged out the fly!

So, maybe could you do something like that for your dog - a pair of men's briefs on backwards, tail out the fly, and a pad attached inside? It would get you some strange looks in public, but no stranger than the string bikini.

Funny, Renee! I guess I will just count my blessings for having my one and only bitch come to us neutered. And, deservedly so.

You folks with real well-bred and well-trained dogs have your hands full. My hat is off to you!

Well I must say, we must preserve the dignity of those workin dawgs. You know how serious they are....especially the ones who like to make snow angels (and you out there reading know who I'm talking about!) AND the ones who like to come down the hallway with your undies on their head, just because you missed the hamper when you tossed them in. uh oh, too much info.

Thanks again to all who responded.

PS - I think I'll give the pants thing a try and we'll see what happens. Anyone tired of this thread yet! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

Must be one of those "don't trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die" types, lol.

No actually it's one of those "smart" men that has enought wisdom to know that no matter what I say I'm wrong and women are right. :rolleyes:

Mark

I'm going to print this out and send it to my brother, he's a bit lacking in this particular department, LOL.