BC Boards

Hooray, Denise, our 2005 Calendar Girl!

Sue R

I came across the Working Cattle Dog calendar for 2005. It features our own Denise Wall's fantastic picture on the cover. Here's the website for anyone who is interested. (I am too tech-challenged to reproduce the page here.)

http://www.workingcowdog.com/calendar/work...cattle_dogs.htm

The pictures in the calendar are the 12 finalists from the 2004 National Working Cattle Dog photo contest offered by the Western Cattle Dog Association. Denise's photo was judged first place, and it's easy to see why!

Some folks here have mentioned the idea of a working Border Collie calendar, with photos chosen by contest. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

I love that photo, and it seems so fitting that it was the winner. Denise is so dedicated to showing people the essence of the working border collie through her photos, and she totally succeeded here. The determination and heart of that dog -- "I WILL get to the front! Whatever it takes, I will turn that steer!" -- could not be more eloquently portrayed.

I think another one of the photos selected for the calendar also came from Denise.

I didn't realize she might have TWO photos there. I will just have to tell everyone that that is the calendar I want for Christmas - if I don't buy it for myself before then!

I really appreciate folks like Denise, Christine, Mark, and Julie sharing their talents with us by posting the great working Border Collie photos that they take.

And, I particularly enjoy that they caption their photos so we can know the dog, the handler, and the event. It makes it almost as good as being there!

Just by the way, the ISDS offers a working Border Collie calendar for 2005. There isn't much detail but my guess is that it features dogs working sheep and not cattle.

Here is the link for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.isds.org.uk/acatalog/GIFTS.html

Are some of you folks still considering the idea of producing a working Border Collie calendar?

Sue,

I spoke to Gita at the ABC Magazine trial and they are going to look into doing a photo contest to get photos for a working BC calendar that way. I don't know when this will happen because due to the fire they have had to start the magazine over from scratch and are, understandably, behind in publishing.

That one on the ISDS website looks great!

I guess I will just get a cattledog calendar featuring Denise's photos and a sheepdog calendar featuring photos from Great Britain for 2005. We can look forward to 2006 to see what's "available"!