BC Boards
MaggieDog

What a healthy Border Collie looks like

I dont have any good weight pics of Dally.. I'll get some when she gets up again.

Here's my Mix, Best guess is Lab/BC/GSD, Kole

Weight: 65 lbs

Coat: Short dense

Height: around 30"

Fed: Eukanuba, but am switching to a rotation of Timber Wolf Black Forest and Artemis

Amount: 2c a day split btwn 2 feedings

Activity: High energy, plays all day with Doggie Day Care dogs at our home and with my pup, walks a few times a week, swimming weather permitting, a few times a week, fetch nearly daily.

Pic806106.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Kessie:

about two and a half years, raw fed, exercise extremely variable (two hours of walking and playing is the minimum - max doesn't exist with her :rolleyes: ). Food amount depends on exercise of course, so it's also very variable.

DSCF4333kl.jpg

(She looks a little scruffy here because I had her on kibble for travel convenience for a while, which made her hair get dry and fall out. She's been back on raw for a while now and the fluff is back with a vengeance )

From above (sort of)

DSCF0248kl.jpg

Got her "raw food coat" back:

DSCF0303kl.jpg

Kyla (about a year old, probably, but no one knows for sure), still growing a little:

DSCF4452kl.jpg

Kyla is raw fed too, gets a little more than Kessie because she's still growing. Exercise: variable, maybe less than Kessie in terms of time, but makes up for it by zooming around a lot more than Kessie does.

CanineCards, It is hard to tell if a dog is fat from a picture unless they are wet (because of the fluff). Just look at Dakota! (I love the

"show" picture by the way. :rolleyes:

Do you have a picture of him wet?

This is Rocky's most recent "wet" photo I could find. This is from an afternoon of water frisbee. He is fed Nutro Lamb and Rice and keeps a wonderful coat and great health. Of course there are lots of "extras" like can food, chicken breasts, pig ears and biscuits! He has an insane amount of energy and agility, frisbee and chuck it! helps with that. (in the background is little brother, Sport)

DSC01693.jpg

I don't have any pics of June standing still (that don't look like she's a deer in the headlights), so I'll do my best.

At any rate, here's her stats, roughly:

- 30 lbs, roughly, probably about 18-19"

- 6 years old

- female, spayed

- gets either Canidae, or Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue

- Eats approx 2+ cups daily on her NON working days. More when she's worked more.

- highly active (and even burns it even when she's not).

Junerun.jpg

Bad quality, but you get the idea:

Junefly.jpg

Photo by Becca Shouse:

JuneFetchHappyNov2005.jpg

Caninecards, it's really hard to tell if a rough-coated dog is fat or just hairy by just looking atit. People pet Dakota and are surprised that he's VERY lean and fit under all his poufy fur.

If you can, definitely get a pic of Ross when he's wet.

Not pure Border collie, but here's Ris.

Weight/Height: 45 pounds, 20 inches at the withers

Food: Raw

Amount per Day: One chicken quarter every other day. On the opposite day approximately 1 lb of boney meat (chicken/turkey legs/thigh, chicken/turkey wings, pork/beef ribs, pork neck) plus a patty of ground turkey, ground hamburger, or 16 oz. can of jack mackeral. Organ meat added on occasion.

Activity level: Depends on the day. At least two days have a 1-1.5 hour walk with a pack carrying 6-8 lbs of weight. Hour long romp with Corgi playmate almost every weekday often followed by a 30-45 minute walk. If Corgi is not available, we spend 30-45 minutes chasing a ball/Kong/frisbee.

Risside.jpg

Ristopview.jpg

Ok,

Cherokee

Weight 32#'s

Food: Diamond Maintenance

Rough Coat (medium)

DSCI0884.jpg

DSCI0883.jpg

Spot

Food: Diamond maintanence

Rough Coat (heavy/long)

Now Spot is the one I worry about being fat, he has always been bigger then the rest even as a young pup, when wet he dosent look this fat, I can feel ribs though there is a bit of cover over them, probably a bit to much. Also keep in mind he is REALLY blowing his coat so he looks funny.

DSCI0882.jpg

DSCI0881.jpg

That first picture of spot is cute!! What a fluff butt!! Dazzle's rear is nothing to his! :rolleyes:

Oh, Poor Spotty and his fluffy behind. He gets so many rats, and I actually have to shave under his tail so he dosent get poo stuck in it. I neglected his brushing for almost 2 weeks and I payed for it tonight, I filled up 1/2 the kitchen trash can with all of his hair, I could have brushed for hours more, but he lets me know when enough is enough by putting his cold nose on me and trying to find another human to rescue him. Back to brushing tomorrow.

Coloradogirl. The Furminator

I don't know if you have heard about this. I used one on my German shep Rott Mix and it is the best item i ever invested in grooming wise they are great for getting alot of that unwanted fur. well worth the money.

The Furminator might be great for Spot, but right now (judging by the latest post) I think that he isn't quite ready for such a fine-toothed comb, but once he has a bit less back there it might be a good option. Maybe I should get dazzy one - she seems to have a lot of butt-fluff falling out right now, falling out all over the house!

Ross is actually 44 pounds so probably a bit heavy. You are right about the "fluff" though and not being able to tell until wet but -- based on all your pictures/weights etc and the fact that we got saoked this morning on our walk so I had a good look at a wet dog (!!!) -- I think both he and I need to loose some weight. That photo by the way wasn't a show pose -- it was taken while he was watching people flying kites on the beach. Just a luck shot.

I actually use a comb that looks kinda like that. It is actually a scotch comb that we use to fit the cattle with. The one I used last night has nylon/plastic teeth and makes the hair somewhat staticy, the metal one was in the barn and I was in my jammies already, not that it mattered I had to change clothes after I was done. It dosent matter when I brush that dog daily, he always has big hair days.

Laura

6 yrs.

16.5" tall

26-28 lbs.

Food - Natural Balance

3/4 cup a day

Wet

WetLDog.jpg

2 yrs. old - summer coat

LStack2.jpg

3.5 yrs. - winter coat

L3.jpg

Jake looks hidiously fat when dry, his coat is so thick, he's a perfect match for me, lol (we're both thick and curlies, lol). I once gave Jake a wet-down with the hose, took a picture, and a few hours later, took another one when he was dry. Such a dramatic difference! I have to look for the disk that has the pics, though, so I'll come back a little later.

err.. i'm almost afraid to show kingsley's pictures.. i think that he's a bit on the heavy side. Been trying to cut down on his food.. but to not avail. Can someone advice me how to get him to lose a bit of weight?

He's got really curly and thick coat... and normally i have to use the furminator on him

- 43 lbs and 19 inches at the withers

- male/neutered

- Breeder's choice plus novpro joint supplement and cod liver oil

- 1 cup per day/ 2 feeds (morning and evening)

- moderate - walks plus stairs cimbing on normal days

Weekend - agility, hikes, hash, frisbee

295295915_72ab0bb3a5.jpg

295295918_2932fbe01e.jpg

295295920_ed042b38c9.jpg

If you're feeding him that little.. hmm.. well, if you think he's chunky, you can cut him back more, or you can switch him to a low cal diet.

Nothing wrong with cutting back more (although something more diet-like might be better so he still gets some stuff). For a while Dazzle only needed like a 1/2 cup (or less) a day.

He doesn't look too bad though (a LOT thinner than some of the Labs I have seen these days. :rolleyes: ). I would tell you to ask your vet how to take some wieght off safely....but you never know what the vet will say to that.

Couldn't help chipping in here (don't have any appropriate pics of my two, but I keep them both pretty lean) - couldn't resist commenting on the fact that Rolf's dogs get to eat bananas in with their meals.

Rolf, you need to tell your dogs it's lucky they don't live in Australia at present. Since Cyclone Larry last year, bananas are only slightly cheaper than gold here! They're coming down a little bit now, but they were about US$10.50 per kg - about US$4.50 per lb. - if you could get them!! Now they're still scarce, but down to about US$7.50 per kg - about $3.25 per lb - still way too expensive for dogs!! My two like bananas, but they only get a little slice each of mine.