BC Boards
MaggieDog

What a healthy Border Collie looks like

I was just thinking that it might be nice to have a photo thread we can refer people to when they ask about appropriate weight and feeding for a Border Collie. I'll post a pic later when I get back from class, but you all are welcome to have at it now.

For starters, lets try to get both side and top veiws of the dogs and include basic stats:

- weight and height

- gender (s/n status too)

- food they are being fed

- amount of food per day

- activity level

If everyone helps out this could turn into a great resource! Hope you all agree.

Good idea! You can send the links to owners with overweight BCs - who don't believe their dogs are fat!

Here's one of her wet so it's easier to see her body.

3 Years old, female

Food: Chicken soup for dog lover's soul (2 cups a day plus various treats)

Weight: 35 lbs

magic_stare.jpg

jazzy_topcoat.jpg

A very good idea. Here are my dogs:

1000651wc4.jpg[/url]

Berrie, male Border Collie

5 years old

weight of 32 lbs

raw food like this

1000530zh0.jpg

1000580bk4.jpg

Liska, Border Collie, female

4 years old

weight 35 lbs

raw food

1000529qm1.jpg

1000223bm0.jpg

Deary, Australian Shephed, female

1 year old

weight 38 lbs

raw food

1000533hj1.jpg

GRRREAT IDEA!!

Dazzle:

Height: 20 3/4" at shoulders

Weight: 30-32 pounds

Food: Innova EVO 95% Beef and Chicken/Turkey Cans plus various kibbles (timberwolf, canidae, etc), canned tripe, and RMBs.

Amount: About 1 can and 1 cup kibble a day (including treats - which are regular kibble)

Activity: Some Agility every few days, frisbee/tennis ball fetch at the park plus walks.

Pictures:

halloween004.jpg

halloween006.jpg

halloween005.jpg

(this is easy to do if you have already taught your dog to "stack" like a show dog! )

weight and height: 33lbs, 19.5" (at withers)

food they are being fed: Eagle Pack Holistic, Solid Gold MMillenia, or CA Natural

amount of food per day: 1.5 to 2 cups

activity level: moderate (daily walks of b/n 2 and 5 miles, hiking and other activities (agility, herding) on weekends

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

Great idea. I have a good and a bad to show.

I snapped a few quick ones of Zoe, who is very trim.

weight and height: 29lbs, 18"

food they are being fed: Chicken Soup for the Adult Dog

amount of food per day: 1.5 cups

activity level: moderate to low (runs around outside with me, attacks toys and plays with Zeeke inside)

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1387.jpg

In contrast....

THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY DOG - FAT FAT FAT

weight and height: 45+lbs, 19.5"

food they are being fed: Pedigree (CRAP FOOD)

amount of food per day: 1.5 cups

activity level: moderate (walks at the part every other day, running and playing with the other dog outside in the yard every day)

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

** I am very very happy to say that these photos are from a year or two ago, my dad just informed me that Oreo is down to 38 lbs. I'm still bitching at him to change her food though.

Rolf,what kind of food is that? I see bananas and cucumber, grapes and what else? Do your dogs eat it and like it or because they'd starve otherwise?

I don't know if you want mixes or not, but here's what I've got of Jack. He's a border collie mix, most likely mixed with a larger breed dog (guesses have been pointer, pit, lab and even Great Dane). So, just to show that being a larger mix is no excuse for being overweight...

- 23-24 inches at the withers, 50 lbs.

- almost 2 years old

- male, neutered

- Innova Evo

- 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day

- moderately active: daily walks, lots of frisbee

edaf0fc8.jpg

edaf0ff6.jpg

ec39b2e5.jpg

River

-about 30lbs, 19.5"

-13.5 months

-spayed female

-Blue Buffalo Lite dog food @ 1 measured cup per feeding, fed twice a day

-Agility class once a week, some form of fetch once day, walk or dog park ~2 times a week. Moderate energy level BC.

Photos taken Nov. 2, 2006:

nov06-2.jpg

nov06-3.jpg

nov06-1.jpg

Jonun, I give raw food for my dogs. That is fruits and vegetables, meet and bones. Meat and bones are raw. So they reiceive a raw chicken. It is not dangerious, because chicken bones don`t break. After heating chicken, the bones are dangerious. Or they get Highland Kettle Cow hearts, and rumen (belly) or lungs.

1000393kp6.jpg

Berrie has a chicken wing.

Hope very much I could explain it good enough. For such special themes my english should be better. I am sorry.

Wick

19.5", 35 lbs

5 year old (approx)spayed female

Eats Go! Salmon and Oatmeal, and raw meat (chicken, pork, lamb, fish). Amount varies with activity level

Plays ball almost every day, goes on 1.5 hour walk through trails every weekeday, agility once a week or so.

wick_tree.jpg

INU, grapes are ok when the dogs get raw food.

I think, airbear can explain this better than me. My English is not good enough. I am sorry for this. I have no problems to explain this in German.

Toby

seditma4.jpg

suntitledsz7.jpg

s0002087yb1.jpg

- weight and height- 39 lbs he is about 22 inches

- age- 18 months

- gender (s/n status too)male/neutered

- food they are being fed- canidae

- amount of food per day- 2-2 1/2 cups

- activity level- Moderate-high. He does agility once a week and goes to the park almost daily where he does lots of off leash running with his sister and he plays lots of fetch.

Originally posted by Rolf:

...I think, airbear can explain this better than me.

Grapes are not recommended for dogs. According to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Centre:

At the current time, we know that grapes and raisins appear to cause renal failure in dogs who?ve ingested large amounts. However, we have not determined with certainty the toxic component, or the exact mechanism that causes renal failure. It is also not clear if only certain dogs are affected, or if long-term ingestions can lead to the same effects that a large one-time ingestion can. Because there are still many unknowns regarding the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, it is advisable not to give grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount.
I don't think one or two grapes every now and again will hurt a border collie-sized dog, but I certainly wouldn't feed them. Ditto raisins - one of the dogs at our dog day care died after eating a bag of raisins. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rolf:

INU, grapes are ok when the dogs get raw food.

I think, airbear can explain this better than me. My English is not good enough. I am sorry for this. I have no problems to explain this in German.

I can try to translate if you write the reason in German (unless it's eight pages of chemistry ).

Before coming to these boards I gave Kessie quite a few grapes whenever I had some, and nothing ever happened, but now I wouldn't take the chance anymore. It was the only type of fruit she liked, but I don't think she needs fruit badly enough to make it worth the risk.

There have been problems with grapes even with raw fed dogs. I would not risk it.

Also...a see a lot of the "raw" in the dogs bowls pictured here is just chopped up vegetables. Dogs cannot break down plant cellulose, and a lot of the food will come through whole that way (or at least with minimal digestion). Vegetables should be pureed to mimic what a dog would get in a prey animals stomach.

Lenajo

ps Isabel is raw fed, and so is her dam. It shows!

Hannah

19.5 inches tall, 33 lbs tall

Eats: 2 cups RC Mobility Support food

She looks real skinny in the top one because I'd trimmed all her belly furr off.

IMG0630small.jpg

HannahinField2small.jpg

Thank you very much for your help Airbear and Sandra. I do not feed grapes every day, raisins are strictly forbidden. Three times a year I let the vet control my dogs to find out whether the raw food is all right or not. The vet does some tests. Up to now everything is very best with my dogs.

Rolf, feeding veggies with raw is fine, I feed this way as well, however if you want to feed friut and vaggies it needs to be puried, its is not dangerous otherwise, but the dogs simpley cannot get any nutrients from it the way you are feeding them

and I will post my babies after work

Name: Dakota

Coat: VERY rough

Height: 21" at withers

Weight: 38lbs

Fed: Raw diet and Innova EVO

Amount of kibble fed daily: 2.5 cups when working, 1.5 cups when on vacation

Activity level: INSANE when working, 5-6 hours of frantic running and herding. Low-moderate when not working - snoozes on the sofa or shoves frisbees in my face most of the time. :rolleyes:

Wet, because he looks fat with his hair:

Move.jpg

3365bd8c.jpg

Dakotastacked.jpg

Dry:

Dakotarunning.jpg

And pretending to be a show dog

ShinyDog.jpg