BC Boards

sick dogs- are they safe with new dogs?

my beautiful rescued BC dixie is sick again. i adopted her 2 years ago and we think she's definetly over 10 years old.

she has thyroid problems, liver problems and recently has developed a horrible skin rash.

i posted something a few weeks back about introducing dogs. my boyfriend has 2 and i have 2, and i was looking for info on the best way to introduce them all.

we haven't tried yet, and there's no rush. but dixie might need to be given antibiotics and have her rash treated with ointment. i was thinking of bringing her to the boyfriend's this weekend (instead of leaving her with roomate or coming home twice a day to take care of her.)

*fyi- the roomate loves the dogs very much and is amazing with dixie, but i feel bad leaving him to take care of her medical stuff all weekend.

dixie is excellant with other dogs, and my boyfriends dogs are good with other dogs. could i bring her along and introduce her in a safe way (away from his house at first, with no food or treats to cause jealousy)? or would his dogs pick up on her being sick?

is it just a myth that animals will attack an elderly/ sick animal???

JMO, but I wouldn't stress Dixie further at this point if you can avoid it. There's no telling how any of the dogs will react to each other, and with the added illness of one of them thrown into the mix, well, I just wouldn't do it. I'd wait till she's feeling better and then introduce at a neutral spot, like a park.

Your roommate sounds like a real treasure, maybe you can buy flowers or a dinner out as a thank you for him.

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3

You would have to ask your vet if Dixie's rash in contagious. Some are, some are not.

I agree with Urge to Herd about waiting though. It makes the whole meeting thing a completely different ball game if one dog is sick. Because she is sick she might also just be grumpy is she doesn't feel good. Making the act of meeting other dogs a not-so-great idea. So I would wait on it if you could.

is it just a myth that animals will attack an elderly/ sick animal???
A wolf pack WOULD attack a sick elk or moose or some other pray (easier to get a sick, slow moving one then a healthy one) but if a member of the pack (one of the other wolves) is sick/old the pack would usually bring food to them and care for them - not attack them. So it is kind of true and false! :rolleyes: BTW, that is just wolves - I have no idea what a bear or a lion or something would do . :D