BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
KrisK

O/T Cordwood or Stackwall Construction

Some people have expressed an interest in seeing how we are building our new outbuilding. This technique is labour intensive but the end results are beautiful and will last forever. We are using white cedar for the blocks. The best part is that the cedar we're using is no good for any other type of construction so we can buy it VERY cheaply

100_1721.jpg

Even I can do this

That's beautiful! Is is just cement with the cedar? Do you seal the cedar or since it is cedar maybe you don't have to?

Yes, the mortar mix is part portland cement, part sawdust, part mortar sand, and screened stone (very small). We will eventually stain the exterior of the walls even though I don't think we would 'need' to do so. It's actually fun to do...sort of like playing in the mud :rolleyes:

Hey Dixie Girl,

Nope, there is no backing involved. We just have our entire building draped in housewrap because we wanted it reasonably weathertight for last winter.

Basically, the wood is cut to 12-16 inch lengths. We're using splits because we like the look, you can use rounds but the effect isn't as nice.

Then, we use the mortar on either end, leaving the middle without mortar (that's filled with sawdust as insulation). It's almost like building a stone wall. If you 'google' Stackwall or cordwood construction, you will come up with all sorts of information BTW, one of the best little books, written by a friend of ours, and is EASY to understand, is called Building the Cordwood Home by Jack Henstridge. Rob Roy in the US is another 'promoter' of the method.

Like I said, it's really easy once you get the hang of it. :rolleyes:

Lookin' good, Kris. You know I've been bugging on you for more photos so thank you. Is Dh doing the splitting himself?

I remember getting dragged on a high school field trip by my history teacher to look at various stackwall buildings in our area. Every one was round length construction. These buildings were original settlers buildings and had stood well the test of time.

I'd like to try building a strawbale henhouse some day.

Kris -

That is gorgeous! Do you not have to worry about the wood contracting/expanding in the heat/cold?

Jodi

ooooohhh! A bottle wall! I want one of them too! Jeeze! DH better retire pretty soon so I can put him to work! LOL

Kris, thanks for the link. Now, pics of the bottle wall please!

Ah, the bottle wall is on hold until the real building gets done :rolleyes: However, we will be incorporating some glass into this building as well. DH also wants to 'build in' some of his art pieces (He works in concrete in a very none traditional way)

Jodi, that can happen but it mostly is a problem with using the rounds and by using wood that's not dried. By using split wood, the mortar adhers really well. We have also been drying this wood for 2 years so shrinkage should be less of a problem.

Jo - yep, we have wood splitter so it makes that part of the job easier.

I'll put up more pictures as the walls get higher