BC Boards

?carrots?

There have been some recent comments/speculations about feeding BC's carrots. Certainly many of our foodstuffs contain carrots.

I just remembered that my mother used to by a 5 pound bag of carrots every week when her/my old BC was still alive. She and GirlDog would stretch out in the living room in the evening and chomp on carrots together. GirlDog LOVED them.

Are raw carrots harmful? netural? beneficial? Does anyone know?

Carrots are naturally sweet, I add them to my veggie mush when I make it. My old boy Rush loved them too. Theres no problem feeding them whole other than what nutrition there is will for the most part be missed out on since the digestive system is not made to break down whole vegetable matter.

I think carrots are fine for treats, but don't count their nutritional value if fed raw. The dog's digestive tract is very short compared to ours, and raw veggies aren't in there long enought to be digested. When I give such things as raw carrots, I see the bits in their stools. They don't get any value other than enjoyment from them. Cooked carrots yes.

Kathy Robbins

My dogs all love carrots! If I'm peeling them for people food the dogs are right there catching the shavings and ends. Of course they eat just about ANYTHING with gusto! Lately two of them are always trying to nibble up the ground corn that I use to lure the sheep into the yard! And I think of the money I spend for dog food without corn...I have used carrot "pennies" for training treats for an overweight dog. I have noticed that if they do get a whole carrot(or a pushy dog steals more than his share) the carrots reappear the next morning, lol.

In our former home they could get to the garden(two tomato plants). They would clean me out!!!!patty

Originally posted by Meg's mum:

Are raw carrots harmful? netural? beneficial? Does anyone know?

They can choke a dog just like any other chew toy that's the wrong size...not that they WILL choke a dog, only that they can. Their use probably should be supervised.

Mostly they are high glycemic and if a dog has yeasty ears or feet or wherevers, carrots would not be the best treat to feed.

Otherwise they're pretty neutral, seems to me.

Chris O