BC Boards

What do you do . . .

The other day my husband and I took Odin for a walk. As we rounded the park near us, we saw my husband's brother and his cousins playing baseball, so we go visit. Things are going good, even though Odin nearly pulls my arm out a few times trying to run after the ball :rolleyes:

One of my dh's cousins comes out with his dog, a little one, I always forget the breed. Anyway, Trigger gets let off leash but I don't let Odin off, there are too many children nearby and although Odin isn't agressive in the least, he is super playful.

Anyway, so I go over to a picnic table and chat with a friend for awhile. Odin wants to run around with Trigger so he lets out a bark now and then. I tell him "Sit" and try to occupy him with some tricks and some treats and praise from me and my friend.

Then along comes 2 ladies that are friends of the family. They have a gorgeous little fluffy dog named Gumper. He's a black and white Shih-Tsu, and very loving and gentle. Anyway, these ladies approach the bench as if Odin is the spawn of Satan. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still . . . If they don't want gumper to play with Odin, that's fine with me, I understand.

But Gumper's owner kept saying OVER and OVER "Oh, Odins a good dog but he needs a big dog to play with" . . . like it was a mantra or something. I bit my tongue for about a half hour but finally, the last time she said it I said "You know what? Odin plays FINE with small dogs." And she just said "oh".

Now, one member of my family thinks I'm just HORRIBLE for saying that but I just had to say something and I though the truth would be the best thing to say. In my head, I though "if she's too afraid to let her dog play that's fine, but that's HER issue, she doesn't have to put my dog down over and over in order to validate her decision to not let her dog play with mine.

It's like she felt bad for not letting Gumper play, so instead of just saying, "You know, I'm just too afraid of letting him play with bigger dogs" she had to repeat, over and over (and I mean it, she must have said it 50 times) "Oh, odins a good dog but he needs a big dog to play with" . . . which is BS . . . all of Odin's "cousins" are small dogs!

Ziggy is just a little thing, Trigger too! Trigger is about the same size as gumper and he really puts Odin in his place. Odin is actually afraid of him! Casper is an American Eskimo, so he's not very big either. In fact, the biggest dog in our family is Rocky, but I don't even think he weighs 30lbs soaking wet.

Anyway, this was really long, I guess I needed to rant. Was what I said REALLY that bad? If I would have had my time back I probably would have said something like "I know you are afraid of letting Gumper play with bigger dogs, and I understand that and it's completely your choice, but I just want to let you know that Odin plays fine with small dogs.

Alright, /end rant

I personally don't think you were wrong. Some people just don't know when enough is enough and to keep their mouths shut.

Your right...she has every right not to allow her dog to play w/ Odin if she doesn't want to. You weren't disrepecting her in anyway by allowing Odin to play w/ her dog against her wishes. In turn I would feel that she was disrespecting me if I were in your shoes by talking about my dog like she knows what's best for him.

Let me ask you this though, what was the purpose of the 2 ladies coming over anyway if they didn't want to be around Odin? That really doesn't make sense on their part.

Well, they wanted to come over and talk with us, which is completely cool . . . I like talking to them. But when my dogs starts being insulted, then that's too much for me.

I dispise when people say things in a joking manner, or like in a warm fuzzy way to their dogs and you know that they feel that way for real and are just to punk to just come out and say their feelings. It drives me insane. Id have come unglued on her. Maybe thats why my family calls me "mouth" lol

You were not wrong at all! She has foo foo dog syndrome. They own little dogs and never believe that alot of the times its these little ankle biters that START trouble. You were actualy nice to her. Me, I probly would have said, yeah, he eats the small ones!

I guess it really gets to me because this member of my family really thinks I'm rotten for saying it . . . he says "Oh, she's such a sweet lady, she didn't mean anything rude by it" and no matter how hard I try to explain that it doesn't matter that she didn't mean it, she had to be told, he still says that it was a "horrible way to talk to her" >:|

I'll admit that I do have to keep my eye on Snorri-dog he is so insanely jealous of other dogs (he seems to think they want to steal me :eek: ) and will make mock attacks, in an attempt to chase them off. Their size or breed doesn't matter. He never DOES anything, he hasn't the nerve to get close enough, but it doesn't look good, and even reassurance petting has no effect. To an onlooker, it looks like simple aggression, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting their dog to play with him, but, on the other hand, it makes me mad when anyone goes on about it after I've explained the situation (I get this strange idea that they weren't listening :confused: ).

My Kali, on the other hand, will play safely and happily with any other dog. His attitude to a "stranger" is one of "Hi there! Fancy a game of chase?".

However, if there's any question about the suitability of my Boys as play-partners, I will explain the above as simply as I can, but I do expect to be listened to: if the other dog's owner fails to pay attention and a fight breaks out, then I regard it as the fault of the other guy.

If I ever have them in a pub (bar, US-peeps :rolleyes: ) and someone wants to talk to them, I make it clear that Snorri has fear issues and that I won't guarantee his behaviour (although I think I could). I warn that if he starts to object, he should be listened to. If a bite did happen (it hasn't, in 8 years),then it's the newcomer's own fault for ignoring the warnings (both mine and the dog's).

Snorri-dog goes with us every year to the New Year celebrations in a local hotel. He wanders free round the bar (helping to finish the sandwiches :D ) and gets on with just about everybody (there may be some who just don't like dogs, regardless) and it has got to the point where I'd face an inquisition if he didn't turn up! (BTW, he comes because he has to have epilepsy medication at 11 pm - and timing is important).

It's a sad fact that some people are just stupid - not just about their dogs, regrettably. All you can do is try to recognise and ignore them :D

Snorri

:cool: