BC Boards

Funny what dogs accept or avoid

My Bailey is a 3yo BC/Sighthound-X. He likes to keep track of me and everything I do. When I am running the upright vacuum cleaner around the house, he is right here with me. I have to tell him "move" to get him off the next place that I want to vacuum.

But then... suppose I want to take his picture. Just now he was lying on the floor behind me in the computer room. I picked up my digital camera from the desk next to me, and placed it on my lap for two minutes. Then I removed the lens cap and turned it on, which very quietly extends the lens.

In a half-second, Bailey is up and leaves the room. He hates the camera, almost certainly because he doesn't like the flash when I am taking indoor pictures.

So with a noisy vacuum cleaner he stands right in the way. With an almost silent camera he does a hasty exit.

Bailey2.jpg

Lots of animals are like that,lol.Like snakes ,they will stand still utill you put a string on there backs to measure them and they start squrming like know other,lol.Exspecially thoughs 5ft+ ones thoughs can be a hand full to keep still. And same with cameras they like to move all over the place and never stand still. but some snakes will be super modles to cameras.lol Just a example. Tex doent like the camera very much eather , or the cvacum but he is getting better.

Bailey also likes to be vacuumed with the hand wand. That must feel good.

And Sue, he does hear the sound the camera makes when the lens is coming out. This morning he could not see the camera, but he heard the lens noise and then quickly left the room.

And he won't hold still very long for me to get a picture. I don't know how professional dog photographers get puppies to hold still for pictures.

I don't know how professional dog photographers get puppies to hold still for pictures.
I have 2 guesses

1. They hypnotize the pups to believe they are statues,

or

2. They take 1000's of pictures in hopes to get that 1 pose. :rolleyes:

He is a a noble looking boy isn't he?

I figure that I take about 30 pictures for each good one I get. Thank goodness for digital cameras!

And I do wish that my crew would tolerate the vacuum a little better. Rather than just standing there or barking at it, they collectively think "AAAK! THE NOISY-THING! RUN FOR THE HILLS!" and run butt-tucked away as fast as they can.

I have one dog who hates to have his pic taken. He acts like its punishment. It isn't the flash and this dog isn't noise sensitive. He just doesn't like the camera. This is what Mike thinks of having his pic taken. DSC00331-1.JPG

One of my other dogs who is noise sensitive loves posing for the camera. I was taking pics of my Grandson and then Seth came over to my daughter and posed so I snapped the pic. He was not asked to do this, he came up and posed on his own.

DSC00060-1.JPG

Solo is weird about a lot of things that other dogs take for granted -- like new people -- and not at all afraid of things that many other dogs fear. He is almost never spooked by strange objects, and has sailed through a number of agility disasters with no effects whatsoever.

One night at class he went off course and into a collapsed tunnel that was pushed against a wall for storage. Since it wasn't stretched out, he became entangled in the chute fabric, and then for good measure a pause table that was propped up against the wall next to the chute fell over on him and pinned him inside. By the time we got him out of the chute, he was so agitated that all his hair was standing on end. Most other dogs wouldn't have gone anywhere near the chute after that, but one minute later he was doing it like nothing had happened.

Likewise at a match once he took a header off the pause table (trying to leave it too quickly, and slipped), landing on his head in the dirt. I'd already gone to the next obstacle and when Solo didn't show I turned around to see him shaking off and growling, not at anything, but the way a person will grumble under his breath ("stupid #*&$^#&!!! table"). The next run over the same course Solo did the table like nothing had happened.

Solo is featured in the training video for veterinarians that goes along with the Gentle Leader headcollar, or at least we were there for filming (I have not seen the final video). Rather than being afraid of the camera, he turned out to be a total ham. Those of you who have seen my many photographs of him also know that he loves to pose for the camera. Considering how much he hates it when people stare at him, I find this somewhat incongruous but hey, the guy has star quality.

doggrinsmall.jpg

Hoku does the same thing, bails when the camera comes out. My camera makes a quiet but high pitch sound when the lens is coming out, and focusing. I figure it must be that. Doesn't stop me from trying, though!

Kristin and Hoku (the happy)

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

One night at class he went off course and into a collapsed tunnel that was pushed against a wall for storage. Since it wasn't stretched out, he became entangled in the chute fabric, and then for good measure a pause table that was propped up against the wall next to the chute fell over on him and pinned him inside.

LOL! Man now that's a series of mishaps. My dogs would have been freaked out completely by that.

As for the camera - Zoe was raised around it. However she tends to come running up to me when she hears it - all happy-like - but totally stopping whatever cute thing she was doing and sitting too close to take a photo. So I I try to hide the sound (turn it on in a different room, then come in and snap a photo). She's gotten used to it though, and now just generally looks at me expectantly.

I love those photos posted. lol

Hey Natalie,

You need a quiet, mechanical camera like a rangefinder. My M3 is basically silent -- the shutter makes a tiny "snick" when I release it. Those Germans knew what they were doing when they built this thing. A less costly alternative is something like a Canonet. I have a Canonet G-III QL17 that I bought for $35 and it is nearly as silent as the M3 and takes awesome pictures. It is a very popular fixed-lens rangefinder with a really sharp, fast 40mm/f1 lens, and can be had on eBay for anywhere between $30 and $150. If you've seen the movie Pecker, the camera he uses is a Canonet 28 and the sounds they paste in for the movie soundtrack are louder than the sounds my G-III makes.

I have a DSLR too (D70s) but for some reason I really like using the rangefinders over this camera. The noise the shutter makes is really distracting to me and I don't like the way the viewfinder blacks out when you take the picture.

Melanie - I have two older film cameras that I use, and you're right, they don't do that. Although at least the Pentax has a pretty solid "thunk" sound when I press the shutter. I don't have a rangefinder yet though. Problem is they have no flash, so only work outside... if I catch something cute inside my only option is to reach for the digital that has flash. Bah. I really don't like our digi (it's not a DSLR) and I'm dreaming of the day I can buy the D200. Sigh.

As an aside, I got both my film SLRs off ebay too. *g* One was I think $60 (Nikon EM) and one was $80 (Pentax K1000). Ebay rocks.

Linda,

Mike's nose is back to normal. A bit of scarring but functions just fine. Yesterday I had to take Reign in to the same ER vet because his whole bottom jaw was swollen. I thought he might have got snake bit but I could not find any marks. Vet gave him an injection of benedryl and he's almost back to normal today. Guess we'll never know what it was.

Jenny,

The house says "hi" back. I'm sure it looked better and was cleaner when you lived here. The pic of Jill and Seth was totally unrehearsed. Seth just saw me taking pics of the baby, got jealous and put his paws on Jill's lap and I snapped the pic. Jill didn't even know I was doing it.

As for what dogs accept or avoid. Out of my 4 Border Collies they each have their own ideas of what is acceptable and what they won't tolerate. Reign is very sensitive to voice and body language....except...on sheep where he can be fairly hard headed. Meg is rather soft on sheep but is the acknowledged "police" of the pack. If two of mine get into a scuffle (always started by Seth) she is right in there trying to break them up. Mike who can be very hard headed on sheep is a big softie off sheep and just likes to have a good time. Seth doesn't tolerate things that bother him. I have never figured out Seth so I can't put him in the category of "normal" behavior.