BC Boards

Registries Again (Sorry)

tumblehome

I looked. Really I did. Went back though all (I think) the messages and got some information but got more confused. But I did try.

AKC (no problem, don't wanna go there)

ABC Registry? Club? Active?

AIBC Still active registry? Link to AIBC website was not productive. What's taking the place of the AIBC registry and what's what with dogs currently AIBC registered? Are these dogs now ABCA?

ISDS (I think I actually understand THIS)

I am looking at a pedigree with an AIBC dog with ISDS behind him, and a ABC bitch with ABC, ISDS and AIBC behind her.

If I want to get more information about AIBC and ABC dogs, where would I start?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris O

Originally posted by Rebecca, Irena Farm:

The ABCA has a nice very informative web site: http://www.americanbordercollie.org/

Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. The ABCA website, though extensive, simply mentions AIBC and ABC registrations as being acceptable for registration in ABCA. I was not able to find any background info on AIBC or ABC.

I understand that AIBC was a significant registry at one time. What happened to it? Are dogs registered with AIBC automatically registered with the ABCA, sort of grandfathered in? Can one still register dogs with the AIBC? What does an AIBC registry number mean today?

Also, I simply cannot determine what ABC stands for. American Border Collie? American Bordercollie Club? Is it a registry? If so, why can I not find its website? Is it a club? Is it a club affliated with what registry? What does an ABC number mean today?

Are these registries (assuming ABC is a registry, which it seems to be/have been) functioning today? Or has ABCA simply become THE registry, as opposed to the registry of choice?

(I'm not including AKC for obvious reasons, and I am not inlcuding ISDS because its not an American registry. Absolutely NO slight intended.)

Thanks!

Chris O

If you could point me in the direction answers, I would be most grateful.

Hi there,

I can't answer about AIBC. I have wondered about this myself.

A dog with an "ABC" registration number is registered with the "American Border Collie Association," (ABCA) whose website you already visited. The ABCA uses the prefix "ABC" for the registration number. Old timers in my area call the "ABCA" organization the "ABC," too.

You didn't mention NASDS, which is the "North American Sheep Dog Society." This is another older BC registry like AIBC. Many people do not realize that NASDS is still around. The former record keeper got way behind processing registrations, and many people switched their dogs to ABCA at that time. However, the NASDS registry is now in new, capable hands, and they are trying to get caught up on all of the unprocessed registrations.

Columbia, MO

Later edited to change NASDS to the correct spelling and acronym--thanks to Eileen's post below!

ABC is an alternate shorthand way of referring to ABCA, American Border Collie Association, the chief border collie registry in the United States. If your dog is registered with the ABCA, it will have a registration number which begins with ABC.

Yes, AIBC was a significant registry at one time. So was the NASDS (North American Sheep Dog Society), which was the first border collie registry in the US. However, after the ABCA was established, the other two registries (NASDS and AIBC) gradually shrunk until now I don't think either of them is really functional. At least I have been hearing for years that it's just about impossible to get papers out of either one of them. I think it would be fair to say at this point that both have been supplanted by the ABCA, and that the ABCA is THE border collie registry in the US at this point.

The ABCA will register NASDS- and AIBC-registered dogs and their offspring who have a full three-generation-registered pedigree. It does not always accept NASDS or AIBC dogs who have close ancestors who were registered on merit, since the ROM procedure in those registries was laxer than ABCA's. Such dogs are considered for ABCA registration on a case-by-case basis.

The United States Border Collie Club (USBCC) is a club (not a registry) which, together with the United States Border Collie Handlers Association (USBCHA, the trial-sanctioning body), forms a very loose triumvirate with the ABCA. The BC Boards, the forum we're writing on right now, is on the USBCC website.

All clear now, right?