BC Boards

Have I become a BC snob?

pearls pop

All my life i've always loved all dogs, most of my life i have owned/been owned by atleast 2 cannine-americans. For years my favorite breed were mutts from the shelter, then i met Pearl.

I've been wanting to get her a BC playmate. My landlords raise and train Golden Retrievers as service dogs to work with autistic children and have a network of people and GR rescues that bring her GR's to rescue/evaluate for service dog work. When a dog does not have the necessary qualities for service work they search the country for a good forever home for the dog. Recently my landlady asked me if i wanted "charlie" , about 6/7 months, sweet, cuddly,smart stray that someone brought her. I was so tempted to say i would take him, but I turned down the offer, saying I would rather have another BC. I don't know if i will ever want anything other than more BC's. Have I become a BC snob or am I just another human who has fallen for the uniqueness of BC's?

There's a dog for every person and a person for every dog. Stick with what you like and love, and you will always be happy - take one you don't care for, and it may never please you.

A few years ago I rescued a Jack Russell, because my son went wild over a friend's "little dog". The little guy caught my attention when on a rescue run and I just couldn't resist when the person giving up the Border Collies, offered him, too.

I kept him for a year and then had to face the fact that he just didn't fit in with my pack. The other dogs hated him, and I just wasn't a Jack Russell person, though I liked him in a sort of intellectual way. I knew he was talented but I never could tap into it.

I found another really great home for him with a person who was looking for a companion for her female Jack and who wanted another dog to do flyball with (he was already trained to do flyball by that time).

There was absolutely nothing wrong with him except that his personality didn't match the situation - he needed more one-on-one than I could give (as most Jacks need as well) and the other dogs were constantly harrassing him. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my home situation except that it is very centered on sheep and the Border Collies, which poor Ketch had no part in.

He's now got many more points in flyball than any of my own dogs, being the main height dog for an opposing team. I laugh every time they beat us, remembering how I tried to get someone on our own team to take him first. :rolleyes:

The best thing is to realize BEFORE you take a dog that it's not right for you. Of course, Ketch was more like a long-term foster situation and worked out very well - the home he ended up in wouldn't have been able to take him a year previously.

I guess I am a BC snob A while back, I was halfway interested in adopting a little Chihuahua. He was a neat thing, not the typical watery eyed scared Chi, either. I tried him out for a while, but it didn't work out. I just am NOT a little dog person.

I love quirky dogs that have boundless energy, sheer brilliance, and oodles of personality.

After fostering Pit bulls, I have realized Border collies are THE most intelligent dog No offense to people who own other dogs, but other breeds are so boring BCs are the best.

Jessica.......your no snob!!! i havent and wouldnt have any other breed but a bc....im an animal lover and dogs are my favourite by a long way...but given the choice out of all the great breeds of dog out there....you simply cant and wont find a better one than the Border Collie

and your totally right in saying the bc is the most intelligent breed....by a mile :rolleyes:

I thought I was a Border Collie snob too -- and yet, somehow I ended up with one of these:

thethree.jpg

I don't think I'd ever have an Aussie -- they're too close to being Border Collies without being Border Collies. Truth to tell the only other sort of medium-sized dog I could see myself with is a Kelpie. I'm far more likely to have auxiliary dogs that are totally different from Border Collies, like the little maggot pictured above. He fills a totally different niche and doesn't compete with them in most ways. Something like an Aussie, or a Belgian, would be competing for the same niche, but would never measure up.

Does that make me a real Border Collie snob after all?

We're on the same page, Melanie. I have a Yorkie whose idea of exercise is barking at the speaker when we go throught the drivethru to get a coffee at Tim Hortons. She is the Un-Collie.

Recently, I've scooped up a beagle off the side of the road. He went back home quickly (no hounds for me). I drove 4 hours last weekend to look at a pup who was supposed to be a Bc but wasn't. Nice pup who needed someone but I walked away. I probably have no good reason other than he wasn't a border collie. I feel better knowing he did get out of the shelter but I'm still wondering why he didn't "feel" right. I'm a snob, I'll wear the hat.

Melanie ...look closely at that"little maggot" as you but it..... something about those little guys remind me of a certain breed of dog in looks.... wonder what breed?..... Oh, I know Border Collie albet a red one with the white reversed.....

If the little guy is good at training little attention hog BC's, can you send him over? LOL I could use some sleep.....between sick kids waking me and Sam waking me.... I'm living my motto ...."Sleep is for the weak".

For me, as much as I like some breeds little accessory dogs and terriers, if I am going to add another dog, it needs to be another working dog. Not being a snob--I just want another youngster to bring along. And if I got another breed, then it would be taking the space reserved for that special little worker....

J.

Well, the thing about little dogs is they really don't take up that space -- they don't do any of the things or need any of the special stuff that another working dog would. They don't eat anything, they don't take up any space, they fit into tote bags and go on public transportation... there's no way I'd be able to manage three dogs right now if they were all Border Collies, but Skeeter just sort of fits in.

The vet bills are the same regardless of size, however.

Karrie, the little maggot is much more of a sidekick than the boss. The Border Collies definitely rule the show -- Solo's the head dog here and Skeeter did discover that to his dismay, although he made his play for Top Dog on a couple of occasions (both frightening and hilarious to watch). As for kids, well, little Skeet ain't too fond of them and I suspect that he had some bad grandkid experiences in his previous homes.

He's cute though, isn't he?

Well...not sure if I'm a BC snob or not I love my BC's and would never be without one or two, or who knows maybe three someday But I'll have to admit Zachary the miniature schnauzer is the one that provides me with the most laughs esp. when the wrestling matches are between him and Cricket, and all you see is a grey mass flopped on top of the black and white mass...growling, snarking and slobbering all over each other! He's also the one that dances for his food and is ever so sneaky about making sure his place on the couch..is on my lap

thanks to everyone for your input. I still don't know if i am a BC snob or not, and i guess it does not really matter.I love my Border Collie and every minute i spend with her,which lucky for me is almost 24/7. I do know i'm blessed to have a BC in my life and would be doubly blessed if another BC joined my "pack". I am also glad that this forum exists and its members share their knowledge and i can get all the different points of view from the wide variety of BC owners here.

Hey Melanie,

Believe me, I've been sorely tempted by a small dog, namely a border terrier, BUT as you pointed out, there are expenses that go along with any dog (food really being minor compared to vet bills, flea & tick, HW prevention, etc.) and if I have to make a choice (because I can't have but so many), it's going to have to be a worker. After all, I already have 4 pet/rescue and/or working retirees who are now sort of accessory dogs, just not the kind of accessory dog that fits in a tote and can be carried on public transportation....

J.

:rolleyes:

Let me introduce you to my alter ego on another forum: RV.Net

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BCSnob

Knoxville, MD

Mark, Renee, Jasper a retired Greyhound &

Working Border Collies: Duncan, Starr, Moss, Rae, Gyp, Jody, Peg, and Bette

2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)

2000 Cedar Creek 26CKS

lol I think I am a BC snob, when I see pics of a BC I get all exited when I see pics of other breeds I am just kind of like "and?" lol I have only consindered 2 other breeds and I am very torn as to whether I should rescue a husky, or get a toller, or would that take up room for more BCs? lol on one hand I really really want a Toller, and to rescue a blind or partally blind husky. but on the other hand I am so obbsessed with Border Collies, could I bring myself to get another breed? lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only starting with BCs now, considering the Malinois as well, the rest of my dogs have been primitive-type dogs. Pretty independent dogs, somewhat boring if you don't start them right, but I've had some that became ball crazy and such...what I love about them is their loyalty, you'll leave for years and come back and they'll still love you BEST. They don't even look at other people as if they exist. I'm a jealous person so I like that, a LOT. Not quite 'trainable' unless you know how their minds tick, they are quite intelligent though. They had to be, coming from a line of dogs whose humans never cared for them much.

But I also like the concept of working dogs, something I'm just getting started on now. But usually I don't discriminate between breeds. I hate the sayings, "Bla bla bla are the best, everything else is just a dog." "Dogs are friends, Bla bla bla is a soulmate." What I do prefer are dogs that look closest to wild dogs. And I absolutely despise small, toy breeds. I did rescue a Shih Tzu but I don't think much of her. She's nice and good and all but she's kinda (aherm) stupid.

A snob here too...I have to admit to having an attitude of knowing how supreme my chosen breed is, and feeling kind of like, well, God decided I was to have these dogs, so I am one of the lucky ones to know how lucky I am. Is that snobbery? Is it snobbery that I feel a bit sorry for my co-workers who drool over Rottweilers and anything mixed with one? I swear, try working with ten people and at least 4 of them have them. I am quiet about it, it isn't their fault they weren't Chosen for Border Collie adoration like me. I am humble. I have a couple of hound mixes I adore too, but God threw them my way too, and I love them. If I go shopping for a dog to fill a "hole", like Julie, it's going to be a BC that hopefully can work. I am trying to convert my 4H kids too. I got one in the fold now.

Truthfully, I get to see a LOT of dogs day to day, all breeds. I handle them, work with their owners, and I sincerely do praise God for letting me have mine. AND I recognize these dogs aren't for everybody. Feeling blessed again!!!

Whenever anyone asks me what owning a border collie is like, I tell them it is like driving a Porsche, as opposed to a station wagon--you have to know what you are doing, and be very attentive, but you get an unmatched level of performance.

I love Melanie's picture of Skeeter, Solo and Fly, by the way....

MR

The only other breed I've owned were Labradors. I thought they were good dogs... until I got a Border Collie. Now they seem so primitive and dull. I lived with a Dalmatian for a few months and he was an awesome dog, but lacked the loyalty and biddability of my BC. I'd consider a sharp BC cross or large shepherd type, particularly the Malinois, if it showed real intelligence. I can't imagine a dog more perfect for my life than Riley, but he's not an extreme example of the BC breed from what I've read here and seen of others.