BC Boards

Conformation Champion De-registration

Denise or Elaine, what is the process that is set up for enforcing the new ABCA conformation champion policy? How will they find out, what is the process to confirm the facts, and how will the decision be made public?

I apologize if someone's asked this before - I missed months of the Boards after my car wreck.

Not to go into too much detail, the AKC's list of Border Collies who have been awarded breed championships is matched against the ABCA's registration records, approximately monthly. When a match is found, the owner is sent a letter telling him/her that the dog is to be de-registered, and giving him/her a brief period of time in which to notify ABCA if s/he contends that a mistake has been made (i.e., if that dog has not in fact been awarded a championship). At the end of that time (something like 15 days?), the dog is de-registered. I don't know the exact number who have been de-registered so far, but it's about four or five. None of the owners has claimed that a mistake was made.

Hypothetical questions:

1. If an AKC dog has been shown in Conformation, but has not achieved the required number of points for a Championship title, then the dog can still remain registered with the ABCA?

2. If a dog arrives from Australia with an ANKC Championship title in Conformation, or from the UK with a ShCh Title, then it can be registered with the ABCA?

I have had a stern word with my dogs and have told them that NO Doggie Modelling will be allowed!

1. If an AKC dog has been shown in Conformation, but has not achieved the required number of points for a Championship title, then the dog can still remain registered with the ABCA? >>

Yes, because as a practical matter it is virtually impossible for the ABCA to know that dogs have been shown in conformation until they are awarded a title.

>

No. A dog awarded a conformation title by any "conformation registry" is ineligible.

Another hypothetical question...

1. If you have a purebred AKC Border Collie that has earned it's Conformation Champion title, could it be registed with ABCA via ROM?

2. Would the answer to the above question change if the dog had previously been ABCA registered, but was de-registered b/c of the AKC title?

Just curious...

P.S. No, I don't have an AKC BC, or a BC that could ROM. Just an ABCA purebred BC from a working farm that is my constant companion and dabbles in agility! :rolleyes: