BC Boards

AKC's newest scheme

SoloRiver

AKC is putting together an online breeder classifieds program, where a breeder can list AKC-registered puppies for sale for $30 for 60 days. Pet stores and commercial breeders are supposedly excluded, but backyard breeders are A-OK!

The reasons behind this program are fascinating. In short, AKC registrations are declining. They want to reverse this trend.

The FAQ from AKC is posted here (it is a pdf):

http://www.jackdean.org/

Makes for very interesting reading.

I read the FAQ. According to it, any breeders (including puppy mills as well as BYBs) who are in good standing with the AKC and have a currently registered AKC litter can advertise on this site. Brokers, pet shops, dealers and auctioneers cannot advertise, but breeders who sell to brokers or pet shops are not excluded.

This is a new low for AKC, IMO. It's surprising that their parent clubs are not up in arms about this. It's nice to hear that AKC registrations in general are down. Wish that were true for their border collie registrations.

The parent clubs are up in arms about this, as far as I can tell, as are the delegates (whoever they are). But, as usual, I expect that AKC will do whatever the hell it pleases regardless of how anyone feels about it. Show me the money!

That's not the classifieds they're talking about. Those are the classifieds for the AKC Gazette, their official magazine. What they are proposing now is a new Internet portal similar to things like Puppyfind.com, but with the AKC's seal of approval on it.