BC Boards

De-registration

Jodi

Does anyone know what's going on with the ABCA de-registering AKC Champions? Has anything been enforced as of yet? If a dog became a conformation champion prior to the 1st of this year, are those dogs' registration being yanked? Or are they only pulling the ones that become champions after the 1st of the year? I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this since it went into affect.

Jodi M.

Your question on dates should be answered in the wording of the rule from the ABCA web site( http://www.americanbordercollie.com/RegistReqs.htm ):

"The ABCA is a working stockdog registry and believes that breeding for conformation standards rather than working ability is detrimental to the health and working ability of the Border Collie. Consequently dogs or bitches which have been named a "Conformation Champion" by a conformation registry are not eligible for ABCA registration, even if they otherwise meet the requirements of for registration. The ABCA will de-register any ABCA registered dog or bitch should it be named a "Conformation Champion" after January 1, 2004, and will not register the offspring of any dog or bitch named a "Conformation Champion" after that date."

Thanks, Denise. I read that yesterday, which is why I asked, but now that I re-read it, it kind of answers my question. I still wonder, though, if they've needed to enforce any of it thus far...

I just checked out your website. I am now busy wiping the drool off my keyboard! :rolleyes: Your dogs are beautiful, just dripping in style. I really like the photos of Mick (the stalk, puddle fun and opposing views) and Kate (flying dogs, take off and turns a challenging ewe) especially. Your photos seem to be taken with a very nice camera. What kind is it?

Jodi M.

Jodi, there have been no de-registrations as yet, because the list of championships awarded which is published by the AKC currently only goes through December 2003. It will probably be another month or two before official information is available on championships awarded after January 1, 2004.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got to ask.....if a dog is going to be thrown off the registry because it has attained the status of champion, and then competes and is able to gain registration on merit, are they still going to refuse registry despite the dog haven proven itself?? just wondering

Karin

I don't think working ability would positively effect it's right to registration. A conformation champion is a conformation champion - even in the unlikely case that it met the requirements to ROM.

It's a highly unlikely scenario, anyway. To my knowledge there have been only four dogs registered on merit and the chances that a conformation champion could attain that status seem miniscule, at best.

if a dog is going to be thrown off the registry because it has attained the status of champion, and then competes and is able to gain registration on merit, are they still going to refuse registry despite the dog haven proven itself??

The ABCA Board has not made a decision on this matter and may wait until it's necessary to do so.

Denise Wall

ABCA Director