BC Boards

The Club network : Can someone draw me a map?

Okay, I am going to start with the bit that I think I understand. By the way, I like it that responsibility for different aspects of the working border collie and working people is shared among various groups/clubs. It complicates things for a newbie like me but probably will serve to protect you from litigation and other forms of attack.

In the US and Canada the two core groups are the ABCA and the USBCHA. The ABCA registers, maintains and verifies the pedigrees of Border Collies, primarily, and also promotes/fosters the breeding, training, and distribution of reliable working Border Collies in North America.

The USBCHA is the sanctioning body for sheepdog trials throughout the United States and Canada. Members of this organization elect officers who decide such things as who may offer sanctioned trials and what may be done at these trials. The USBCHA records and maintains the results of these trials primarily for the short term purpose of determining eligibility for National finals, and the long term purpose of contributing to the keeping of the breed in the respect that USBCHA sanctioned trials provide a valid demonstration of individual dogs' ability to pass the test of the hill.

Is there any sort of offical interaction between these two organizations? I had the idea that one must have an ABCA registered dog in order to compete in USBCHA sanctioned events, but now I can't seem to find anything that says that. Anyone can run a dog in a USBCHA sanctioned trial, and so can join the USBCHA regardless of their dog's breeding?

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie newbie

drumlins@adelphia.net

Well, apparently any dog can be run in a USBCHA event.

Fergus' work style involves making the sheep curious so that they gather round to watch him attempt to squeeze himself in any hole that smells of critter. It would require me digging and scenting a number of such holes around the course. Do you think anyone would mind that?

I guess in Fergie's case it would be the test of the hole not the hill.

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie newbie

drumlins@adelphia.net

Margaret,

You're correct that any dog can run in the open class of a USBCHA-sanctioned trial (within reasonable limits that may be set by the trial organizers, etc.)

You'd have to run on the same course as everyone else, so as long as the holes were there for the entire class, you'd be good to go. Your dog would be judged just the same as all the others -- 20 points for the outrun, 10 points for the lift, 20 points for the fetch, etc.

As I understand it, the relationship of the ABCA and the USBCHA is that the ABCA is a major sponsor of the USBCHA's national finals each year. There's some overlap in memberhip, but the ABCA probably has lots more members.

In addition to its functions as a registry, the ABCA is also funding research into the genetics of diseases and conditions that are issues in the breed, and makes money available to individuals and associations that are putting on events to promote the working Border collie. These have historically included clinics, trials, demonstrations, and (I believe) some 4H or FFA-type courses.

A minor point: the ABCA no longer handles Canadian registrations. The CBCA does that. The USBCHA does sanction trials in both the US and Canada.

It's also not exactly correct to say that the USBCHA is *the* sanctioning body for sheepdog trials in North America. There are probably a few dozen clubs that sanction trials. Most of the trials that I run in are sanctioned by both the USBCHA and the Northeast Border Collie Association. NEBCA-sanctioned trials count toward NEBCA things like qualification for regional finals and year-long tallies.

Some clubs have rules that disqualify them from USBCHA sanctioning of trials. Trialing rules and traditions vary a bit with geography. What's called a pro-novice course in New Hampshire is different from the pro-novice course they run in Virginia, which is different from the one they run in Ontario. It's part of what makes the trialing scene fun. Every place you go is a new challenge.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH