BC Boards

ABCA vs AKC - Plan B

vph

Having read and reread the article titled "The ABCA Needs Your Thoughts..." printed in the Sep/Oct issue of ABC Magazine, I felt a need to put in my two cents worth in favor of Plan B: Future Ban. This option seems to be the most fair to all current ABCA members and yet will provide an avenue through which strong action may be taken to protect the ABCA as a working registry and the Border Collie as a working breed. One suggestion I would make to improve the effectiveness of this plan would involve our best effort towards the education of the masses, and especially new working BC owners, as to these issues and why they are so important. Many new owners haven't been informed of the dangers of conformation breeding and are greatly influenced by years of being lead to believe that looks are everything. It is only with time that new owners begin to understand the ramifications of careless breeding. A call to existing breeders to inform their buyers of these problems may be in order. Would it be impossible (or has it already been done somewhere) to post an article discussing this issue on the ABCA site? Breeders can refer buyers to this article for accurate information.