BC Boards

Meeker Final results

Sue R

If I'm reading it right, Tommy Wilson and Sly won the final at Meeker with a 132, with Bev Lambert and Pippa in second place, and Bev Lambert and Bill in third.

Many of us have had the opportunity to meet Tommy, his fine wife, his good dogs, and his lively sense of humor. He's always a pleasure to watch on the trial field, or working with young pups in a field (that was a special treat for me to watch, thank you Sam and Robin).

Congrats to Tommy and Sly, and all the good handler/dog teams!

Yes, Tommy Wilson and Sly won Meeker. I was fortunate enough to go as we live only a little over an hour away from Meeker!

We have attended several years in the past. It seems the quality of the dogs and handlers gets better every year!

While we missed Tommy and Sly's run (they were second to go in morning while we were finishing up chores and driving to Meeker) We saw them go last year when they finished 3rd. Sly is only 3 years old, so I can only imagine what he will be like in a few years.

The last run of the day was Derek Fisher and Heidi. I must tell you that I will never forget that run as long as I live. It was the epitome of team work, patience, skill! At several different times during their run it seemed as if everything was going perfectly. Then there was one ewe who was constantly challenging Heidi and would all of the sudden bolt. Heidi was calm, cool and collected - ran out brought her back and in a moment it was like nothing ever happened.

Derek had to separate the collared ewes from the uncollared ewes in the "shed" three separate times because of this errant ewe. You cannot believe how calm he remained. At the very end he was just about to get them penned, was shutting the gate and the ewe bolted again and time expired. He never lost his cool and Heidi was just unbelievable. Heidi is 10 years old and Derek is only 23!

You could have heard a pin drop during the entire time of the shed and penning the sheep. The entire crowd was captivated by Derek and Heidi. When it was over they got a standing ovation - boy, did they ever deserve it. Derek and Heidi finished fourth. After the awards ceremony a number people wanted to talk to Derek. I was lucky enough to get his autograph. He seemed a little bit embarrased. I will carry that run with me the rest of my life and when things in life seem to be getting out of control I will think back to that day and Derek and Heidi and hopefully hold it all together as well as they did.

It was really unbelievable.

Valorie

Thank you Anda! I will get the photo thing figured out eventually. It was awesome to be there with all that talent (two-legged and four-legged) just a few feet away. I knew I had to get a photo for the BC Boards. I think the dogs are still looking for sheep as most of them are facing in the direction of where the sheep were during their runs. Happy border collies - there is nothing better in the world!

Valorie