BC Boards

Keepstone Congrats to Laurie!

Sue R

Our very own Laurie won the Novice class on Saturday at the Keepstone Halloween SDT! I wasn't there on Sunday so I don't know how it went that day.

Now, Laurie was both 1st and 2nd place in Novice on Saturday at the Keepstone Fun Day SDT in July. Do I see a trend here?

Congrats, Laurie!!!

Awwww, thanks Sue! I hope you had fun, too. (Sue and Celt worked the set-out pen while I was scribing.) And thanks to everybody else who helped put it on! Great weather for the dogs and sheep, super efficient pen crews and scoring, and great hospitality. Actually, on Sunday Danger and I had a couple minor "bobbles" and ended up 4th, but Pod kept our streak going and took 1st. Now if their handler could just be as consistent as the dogs...

So, you got first again on Sunday. I will have to seriously reassess our friendship. Just kidding!

I had a blast working the set-out pen and doing some exhaust. Cathy let me use Celt in the pen because her Lucy was being contrary. Celt HATES pressure and close spaces, etc., so this was very good work for him (and me).

I was pleased when Julie said we could try some exhausting and Celt did great unless I set him up stupidly, etc. I can't wait to try pen work and exhaust again.

I am in limbo as far as trials right now - last night, on the way to the new student orientation for the new class session at the club, we hit a large deer broadside going 70 on the busy interstate, and I think my van is a total loss.

Everyone is just fine - Laura and I were wearing our seat/shoulder belts, my airbag deployed (it was done and deflated before I had a clue), and the dogs were both wearing their PetBuckle harnesses. It was quite a feat that no one hit us or the other deer and that I was able to safely get off the highway to the guardrail because my hood was plastered against the windshield and I could just peek around the edges.

Thank goodness for my faithful old van - I think if I'd hit that big deer in a small car, it would have come right through the windshield, or I might have lost control of the car and caused a multi-car crash, because traffic was heavy.

I'm grateful for all my blessings (by the way, the power came on yesterday afternoon, precisely 5 1/2 full days without power, water, heat, etc., except for lamps and fireplace, and water I stored in the basement) but I am sure grieving for the loss of my good old van. It wasn't worth much on paper so I am concerned about how I can replace it with something suitable.

OMG Sue, I'm so glad you are all OK - SOOOO SCARY! I've seen so many deer creamed on the highway this past week or so - it's incredible that you made it to the side of the road and didn't get hit by another car as well as the deer. Obviously someone was watching out for you all. You've had one heck of a week, and it's only monday... hope you can find a suitable vehicle soon. Are you entered at Mt Pleasant?

By the way - Julie, Mark, Sue A and some others from these boards had a pretty good weekend at Keepstone, too. Maybe Deb will post the results - my feeble brain can't recall all the placements and I don't want to leave anyone out.

Congrats to you Laurie. You did a great job with your dogs. I'd share results but I didn't ever even seen the scores for the first day, and don't know what happened the second day either. See what happens when you're stuck doing set out? I have no idea what happened anywhere except on the novice field (and then really only what happened at the top).

Sue,

Thanks for your help in the pen. It's always nice to have folks who take care in handling sheep.

I'm sorry to hear about your run-in with the deer. Thank goodness everyone (except the poor van) is okay. It's mating season, so bucks are indeed out looking for sex....

J.

Laurie - We are fine, the van is not fine, but the poor deer was pulverized (if not entirely by me, by one or two others who ran over it after it was dead and on the highway). I am thankful it was the van and not a small car or I think we would have had the poor thing come right through the windshield, and that could have been a disaster.

I did enter Mt. Pleasant, don't know if I got in, and hope to be there for Saturday. I wonder if they need any more volunteers? I'm also going to be at Sam's later in the month, circumstances permitting. With the insurance's help, I will have a rental car but I won't be able to sleep in it like I did my van. I may have to fit our tent up with something cushy to sleep on!

Julie - I had a great time in the pen! It is a super way to learn more about sheep, about which I know very little and understand even less.

It was quite a compliment when you let Celt do some exhausting. He did just fine each time that I set him up right, and it was messy each time that I didn't. Handler error is the root of most problems!

There is nothing better to learn stock work than to do some real work. I was so pleased that Cathy let me work the pen and that you let me do some "field" work. Thanks!

Now, if I could only do as good a job as Laurie on the trial field, I'd be set!