BC Boards

2005 Western States Regional Sheepdog Championship

amc

The 2005 WSRC is history! Many thanks to all who attended and to all who helped make the trial a success, in particular our major sponsors Border Collies in Action, Klamath Animal Supply, and KLAD-fm radio. Many thanks to Mike, Liz and Emma Hubbard and their fine setout crews for the use of their wonderful sheep and ranch, and to Scott Glen for doing an outstanding judging job for the three days. Iris Short, Jan Davis and Karen Kettlety spent the entire weekend putting out fires and doing any job asked of them, always with a smile. Ellen Skillings, Dee Samson, Marty Rowley, George and Sue MacDonald, and Rick and Sandy Mallouf all jumped in and helped over the weekend as well. Geri Byrne worked harder than anyone before and during the trial and even managed to run Ted and make it into Sunday's finals! I apologize for forgetting to name anyone else, but be assured the trial couldn't have run so well without you.

The Final results are posted at www.bordercollies.com. Click on Western States Regionals.

Thanks again from KBSDA, and we'll see y'all at the National Finals in Klamath in 2006!

I just want to add my thanks to Amy's for everyone who came and helped, who entered or who came and watched. The weather was a bit nasty on Saturday but everyone managed to keep in good spirits and despite the weather, some good runs were turned in. A special thanks to Amy for all she did - she was the course director, announcer, volunteer director and general fire putter outer.

I was very pleased to make it to the final day. It was my first double lift and although we did not complete the course, I had fun and was pleased with parts of my run. Those who watched will definitely know which parts I wasn't pleased with! My dog was behaving very studly and I was fingering the knife in my pocket at the turn of the post but then he got his act back together.

The regionals was a dress rehearsal for next year's finals and it helped us to figure out what works and what we need to fix.

Geri

Just to keep up with all the butt-kissing....

This trial was GREAT. It seemed to run effortlessly. I know it is *never* effortless. But the illusion is what counts! The sheep were great, the venue was great. Amy and Geri were great. You get the picture. Heck, both my dog and I were a complete unmitigated disaster - and I still had a great time. I was very grateful just to be humiliated at such a fine trial. Hard to say it more strongly than that.

charlie torre

Mike, Liz, Emma, Geri, Amy and the rest of the crew did a super job. Once the weather cleared, the field was gorgeous. I hope all the spinning wheels in the parking area didn't tear the hillside up too badly. After a freezing night (I camped), the arrival of the sun on Sunday was a sign that we were going to have a great day! The sheep were very nice...I've been trialing so much recently on dog-eating range ewes, it was nice to work on such a quality flock...healthy and spirited. Also, Scott Glen did a fabulous job judging....he was tough, no-nonsense and incredibly consistent. There were some very very close runs, and each was sorted out appropriately.

I was also thrilled to make the Double Lift and for the first time felt like my dog and I were getting it together instead of woefully out of our league in a 27 minute torture chamber. It means something to me when afterward the judge (Scott) comments "Looks like you've been practicing." Of course, my dog is still "on the muscle"....16 sheep didn't seem to add any lead to his britches. My chore for this year is pace, pace, pace.

You mean Charlie was there and I didn't go?!?!?!

Being unable to get away from the city for the entire weekend, I spent Saturday at the very fine NCWSA work day in Pescadero instead. The weather was great, the sheep were great, the people were great, and what a location! Sorry to have missed the trial, though. It sounds like everyone had a fabulous time.

I will put myself on the volunteer list for next year's finals.