BC Boards

WAY TO GO CHRISTINE!!!

tucknjill

Originally posted by tucknjill:

YOU GUYS WILL COME BACK???? ... Colin is the first member of the over here more than once club..except maybe christine...

Yes, I've been there THREE times (aren't the rest of you jealous? :D ) and had a blast every time. Of course we will all come back! We love you! And if you need a break from bush hogging, I fit well on a tractor seat. You can sit on the front porch with your margarita and wave at me as I drive by. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to Nancy, Mark, Renee and everyone else. Not only did I miss the trial, my friends and a good time.... but I had the pleasure Sunday of watching it snow in my front yard and everywhere else on the farm.

Sam,

I haven't been down yet but when I come, I will just stay longer to make up for the times I missed. How does Jan-March sound?

Robin,

Let me know when you get into your house and out of your leaky camper. Will your new house have a guest room?

Vergil Holland actually wrote a series for either the Working Border Collie or the American Border Collie called "My Run Fell Apart When".

One night as a bunch of nameless handlers that I know sat around the campfire, we all took turns completing the sentence. Someone said, "My run fell apart when I went to the post." I actually won the prize with "My run fell apart when I fell off the post" It actually happened to me. There was a handler's stand at the post, I accidently leaned a little too far and fell of the side with a big SPLAT! Since the fall made me a lot spacey than usual for about 5 minutes, I got a rerun!

One of the handlers, was a thorastic surgeon at the University of Michigan. He came running out as he was the only doctor around. He said, "Terry can you move? Too bad you aren't having a heart attack as I would be able to give you much better medical care."

Only thing that hurt worse than my head was my....

scroll down

scroll down

Bet you all thought that I was going to say my pride but I lost that many trials before!

My glasses got broken

Terry you are the cutest thing...I would love an extended visit..Andrea and I were planning it while she was here...gotta be when Robin can come too..by then I suspect we will all need a break...been thinking about you and the pack and got your phone call tonight but didnt call back because it said you would be at the vets..will call you tomorrow...

Ha Christine, the seat is ALL broken in...Randy finally got so tired he let me ride it..now I wish he hadnt...but damn it looks sooooooooooo pretty cut.

Hiya Nancy!!! Congrats on the weekend, sounds like you did well!

Hey Terry- you betcha there will be a guest room or two! You come on over here any time! I'll be so glad when i get out of the old house and into the camper, then at least i can start working my dogs again and getting out to see everyone while i'm waiting on the new house to get built....

So drag yourself on over here so we can play!

Hey y'all, i can't believe no one bit on what i posted at the beginning of this thread--

"Speaking of congrats, Joan gets one too but she'll have to be the one to tell you why.... :rolleyes:

Think balloons and cake...."

Come on, someone needs to get her to confess to a BIG one! I live too close, she'll smack me.

Originally posted by Valhalla:

I didn't bite because you said Joan would have to tell us... well, Joan we're waiting! :rolleyes:

It's not nearly as exciting as you winning Open, Chrstine. But now you can razz me for being 50 years old. :eek: My birthday was Sunday. After making it through birthdays 1 through 49, I'm very happy to get to the 50th one. :D

Happy now, Robin?

Originally posted by TotallyTerry:

Congrats to Christine and Rook-man!

I've been a Rook fan since he was just a Rook-boy!

Thanks Terry! You probably remember Rook running in Pro Novice at the Penn Y Cerau trial in FL. Isn't that when Tux overheated?

Yes, I remember the Rook running in pro-novice in Florida and was just damn glad that he wasn't running in ranch yet because Tux was!

The dog that I overheated was Boss. I had only had him a month at the time. The course was not that big, it wasn't nearly as hot as it had been at the other two trials and it happened on the fetch so he had not been stressed. Thought that I was being careful with the dogs from Michigan in the heat. Even acclamated them to the weather with a pit stop in Virginia.

Strangely, Boss never got staggery in the field. He just would not take a flank, in retrospect that should have been my first clue since he was never willfully hard headed. Left the post to insist on the flank and he still wouldn't take it but I did notice that he was acting like he didn't know where he was. He even walked back to the water tank before he started breathing hard and got staggery.

Everyone at the trial was super great for which I am eternally grateful.

Since that time, I have been super zealous and drive everyone crazy with worrying about my dogs overheating.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by TotallyTerry:

Since that time, I have been super zealous and drive everyone crazy with worrying about my dogs overheating.

It's easy to do because these dogs just go and go, giving us everything they have. At the Bluegrass, I am so glad that the judges let us quit with our points if our dogs got too hot. I had to quit at the pen both Open runs with Mick. I could have kept going and maybe gotten that extra 1/2 point needed to be in the double lift, but I was more concerned about my dog. There will be other dog trials with double lifts, but only one Mick.

If everyone in this world had the attitude towards their animals that you have about caring for your dogs, the world would be a better place. Too bad too many folks are more interested in ribbons and trophies and self-gratification, than they are in their animals.

Sue, I agree with you that there are some people that are more concerned with winning than the health of their dogs, but there are some people that really do care about their dogs and don't realize they are overheating until it is too late. Sometimes it only takes a little too much work and for it to be too late. There have been times when I have been sorting, weaning, vaccinating or de-worming and I am not paying as much attention to my dog(s) as I should. Luckily it has not gotten to the point of staggering, but almost. My mind is on getting the job done and sometimes I am not even looking at my dog(s) because if the sheep are in the right place that means the dog is in the right place.

As Terry stated, once it happens to your dog, you pay so much more attention to the warning signs in the future.

Mick is from Scotland and has only been here for less than 2 years so he is not very heat tolerant and I have to watch him more closely than I do my other dogs. Rook had no problem with the heat at the Bluegrass. I have been prepping Mick by working him when it is hot to try to acclimate him more, but I don't think he will ever be as heat tolerant as a US bred dog.

It was a good lesson to be observant of my dogs' behavior in the heat.

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't have been so condemning. Having made many mistakes of my own, I should be more understanding.

I think that one benefit of posts like yours is that they alert the rest of us to dangers that we don't foresee. In that way, these posts may help prevent a tragedy for some else's dog. Thank you!