BC Boards

Open Finals

cgt

The USBCHA Open Final scores are here.

At the moment Kathy Knox and Jake are on top with a blistering 168.

It says there that on the first day "Soon found out more time was needed so added another minute." What do you think this means? It sounds like they didn't initially allocate enough time for each run so they upped the time by a minute. How do you do that in a fair way?

charlie torre

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry: I might call that a run early in the day when the sheep are still nice.

More seriously, while I do think range ewes work noticeably better in the morning, I'd call that run "Scott Glen showing how it should be done, as usual." I, too, would love to have seen it.

EDIT: I'd sure like to get a clinic from him. Is he a good teacher?

charlie

Hey Charlie,

I just got home last night from the finals (headed back up on the weekend) and got to see Dennis and Jan run. It was awesome!! Jan is 3. I missed Kathy's run but heard it was really nice. Sure wish I wouldn't have missed Scott's run now either but such is life.

The weather has been pretty cool so far for the finals. The sheep have been a little lighter in the morning and taking some push during the mid day runs.

I'm still crying in my beer over my open run with Zac. The boy did everything I asked of him and worked like a charm. I just "dropped the ball" a couple of times with him. Nice thing about these Border Collies though, they seem to forgive and forget pretty quickly, huh! :rolleyes:

Laura,

When you cry in your beer, I find that it helps to have another beer and it will dry your tears.

Besides, beer is best when not watered down.

If it is any consolation, you are not the only handler who has ever dropped the ball and you won't be the last. You are in good company. Running in the finals would be very intimidating. Earning the points to run in the finals is an accomplishment.

God, I sound like Pollyanna.

Is anyone on the boards old enough to remember Pollyanna?

Pollyanna? Didn't she sing with the Spice Girls?

I know about dropping the ball, Laura. I remember kicking myself all the way home from a trial last winter after my oldest dog did absolutely everything I said - for once - with perfect precision. Unfortunately, she did everything I said.

Laura, while you may have dropped the ball, I am here to tell you that there are many people who would love to have been able to do the dropping you did. That's kind of confusing, but you know what I mean.

Oh, and , BTW, way to kick ass in the Nurseries.

We are all impressed and happy that you are still slumming it with us here.

charlie

Terry,

I guess I'm more of a Tequila fan myself anyway so will have to buck up so I don't water that down. Yuck! People teased me about how calm I seemed at the post considering this was my first finals. I said it helped to have several drinks the night before!

Denise, thanks for the kind words!

Charlie, I wouldn't exactly say I kicked ass in the nursery but I'll certainly take it! I was extremely pleased with my little gal. She's such a no nonsense, get the job done kind of dog that she helps keep me relaxed out there. My 9 year old son uses her at home to gather the feeder lambs every day and now that she's done with the finals, he's planning on running her at their first trial together in October. Should be fun!!

Charlie - I've taken a couple of private lessons with Scott and he's an awesome teacher. I'd imagine he makes a great clinician.

Laura - Way to go! I agree with Charlie ... "kicked ass" is the perfect term to use. LOL. Sheesh, just getting to the finals is a feat in and of itself! I wish I could have been there to see it all.

Jodi

Margaret and Jodi, thanks for the kind words. Margaret, rough and ready is about the best way I've heard Zac described yet! :rolleyes:

Looks like Bud still has a seat at the top. I'm headed back up this evening to help with the sheep chores over the weekend. Bud has worked his tail off all week at the finals so hopefully I can give him enough of a break to enjoy the last two days.

Talk to you all when I get back!

Laura

I can't seem to find anything that tells me who the judges were. I know it's probably hiding in plain sight, but could somebody point at it for me or even better, tell me who judged the open finals? I know the nursery judges, but for some reason I have it in my head that nursery and open have different judges...

I figure since I've already asked one really dopey question about the nursery scores that I might as well ask another one about open.

http://www.usbcha.com/breaking_news.htm

Hi Margaret,

The judges are listed on the finals breaking news page. Just scroll down past the location, deadline, etc. to where it says "nursery finals" (for nursery judges) and "open finals" (for open judges--but note that the nursery judges are also judging part of the open).

J.

Margaret,

Mike Neary and Tom Lacy judged the nursery and also judged the semi finals in open, if I remember correctly. (One nice good thing about old age is that you can blame everything on it including asking "dopey" questions.) By the way, that was not a "dopey question."

Charles Arch and Glen Jones were the "imported" judges. Don't confuse Glen Jones with Glynn Jones ( I have probably massacred the spelling but that is what happens when you are old and senile)

Gotta go take my nap before it is time to start arts and crafts.

Just back from the finals. As everybody probably knows by now, Scott Glen was both Champion (with Pleat) and Reserve Champion (with Tala, Pleat's litter mate). He did a beautiful job with both runs, and got down to only one uncollared sheep in the shedding ring on both runs when time was called. (No completed international shed again this year.)