BC Boards

Pics from Superman trial June 4-6

Denise Wall

Denise: So nice to have met the winner of the Seclusival 2004 Friday Open Trial!

Thank you for providing such enjoyable pictures. They are a treat especially for those of us who can only rarely enjoy watching a trial.

And, I particularly appreciate the fact that you label your pictures - I get to know whom I am seeing, what dog, and what they are doing.

Now, if they would only have the opposite of the youth class - a class for pudgy older ladies like myself with their first dogs! All the real triallers could just take their lunch break when we ran our dogs!!!

Instead of Novice/Novice, we could call it Novice/Old enough to know better.

Very cool! Hated to miss it but we are putting up a new barn (yea!).

I've got those pictures of Mick - I'd post them but I don't know how.

Thank you for the beautiful pics! The labels make it all make sense to those of us who can?t be there in person.

I second everything said by Sue and Ed, especially this: ? Now, if they would only have the opposite of the youth class - a class for pudgy older ladies like myself with their first dogs! All the real trialers could just take their lunch break when we ran our dogs!!!

Instead of Novice/Novice, we could call it Novice/Old enough to know better."

That?s me, too, and boy would I be there!!!

Denise, so, Sam wants to order your pictures of her in the buff? I can understand why she would pay anything you ask to get those off the market!

As for me, if the pictures were of me, everyone else would pay to remove them from the market! Permanently!!!

Oh, to be so young and accomplished!

Now, what will we call our Novice/Old enough to know better (but foolish enough to want to do it anyway) class if they ever adopt one, Susan and Skipper? Got any good ideas???

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments. Although I do under certain circumstances sell some pictures, I'm not in the business. I enjoy taking them and trying to capture the working border collie at its best. The more pictures of real working dogs out there for people to see, the more people will know what they really look like and not be fooled by the "working" pictures of uninterested dogs standing or running in the same field as sheep but not really working them.

The cameras are so good now, anyone can take good pictures. And with digital, if you take enough, you'll get some good ones. I encourage anyone with a camera to get out there and take pictures of working dogs and show the world what the real thing looks like.

Denise

The cameras are so good now, anyone can take good pictures...I encourage anyone with a camera to get out there and take pictures of working dogs and show the world what the real thing looks like.

Totally agree. I got a Nikon D70 (digital SLR) and I can put about 200 pics on a memory card, so I was shooting a LOT at a trial a few weekends ago. These are from the Hope Ewe Sheep Dog Trial in Laidlaw, BC. http://alphadog.ca/digital/hope_ewe/

Enjoy!

Kristi

Kristi,

Nice pictures. Keep shooting.

Jennifer,

Thanks. Many of the earlier pics on my pbase gallery were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5700. Most of the trial pictures, like the Superman trial I posted a link for, were taken with a Canon EOS 10D digital SLR camera. The lens for most of those is the Canon 100-400mmL f4-5-5.6.

Denise, you are too modest! It is not the camera that takes the pictures, it is you. The camera is the tool that enables you to use your talent to produce such nice photos.

YEA! Home sweet home!

Gabby, Gabby, Gabby, .....

Hard to tell there's a new dog in the pack. Hard to tell she's new here since she's settling in nicely. We're still figuring each other out with balance work and short (fun) outruns. Found out she loves ice cubes; sometimes we add them to their water bowls after they work. She had a fine time fishing them out and eating them.

Mark

Mark and Sue. Thank you. I do believe knowing what might happen helps one anticipate a good picture. However, digital affords one the opportunity to just shoot away and pick the good moments later without having to pay for the high failure rate. Photoshop definitely helps improve the keepers.

The number of great pictures taken has exploded since digital. Also many pictures are available for viewing on the web and as people see what can be done, the bar has been raised. This has uncovered many a good new photographer. A great comment I read recently went something to the effect that trying to excel as a photographer these days is like trying to figure out how to breath better than everybody else.

Jennifer,

Most of my pbase gallery is still pictures I shot with my coolpix, a consumer camera similar to yours. You can get great pics with your camera.

Denise