BC Boards

help with end of recall

jake has recently got into the habit of not allowing me to put his lead on at the end of a walk. he scampers out of reach. hes very good on the recall up to the point of the lead. hes nine mounths old could it be a teenage thang as he had been doing it up to three weeks ago. can anyone help?

This is where I am with Meg. Its frustrating becuase her boot camp trainer got her to come all the way back, touch and sit/stay or wait for the lead.

I've faced the fact that its me in my case. Meg wants consistency and very specific direction or her little preteen temprement takes hold.

This is complicated by the fact that she is not at all food motivated and sound sensitive to the clicker. Its really hard to use toys.

It sounds like what's happening is that he simply doesn't want the walk to end.

Practice the recall during your walks. When he comes to you, take hold of his collar, praise him, do something he really likes (scratches or belly rubs etc.), and let him go. When you can do this a few times without him trying to get away, call him to you, take hold of the collar, SNAP THE LEASH ON, then praise him (belly rubs etc.), and let him go. It's suddenly not such a bad thing to have the leash put on.

Do this over and over so that he doesn't know if the walk is ending or you just want to tell him he's a good boy. Eventually he'll associate the leash being attached with the praise and not the end of a fun time.

That should be part of teaching the recall. (because in the "real world" where you would use it - you want your dog to come and then wait while you get the leash on).

When you train it - it isn't just come to me. When Fido comes you reach down and grab the collar, only then do you reward. So Fido thinks that part of the coming is you grabbing his collar.

You may also try recalling him on a long lead, then hooking on another lead when he gets to you. If he decides to bolt, you already have the one leash on, and you can make the correction. Of course this is a backyard thing for starters. But right now everytime the dog gets away, it wins. That needs to be nipped in the bud. Good luck!

I agree with ErinKate.

If you don't have a solid recall always use a long line. Most of all while you are proofing/training the recall. That way Jake won't ever get away with not coming.

Happy training!